Leather scope caps for LCS

Can anyone give me an address or email contact for whoever makes those neat leather scope caps for the Leupold LCS.

John Brown, 540/289-5365, another true gentleman with which to do business.

I've been getting mine from Rick Averill. I consider his to be the best. I'd like to see what is the best about John Browns Caps. Anyone have pictures? by the way Rick donated quite a few sets of caps to not only the Postal matches in the past few years, but he also donated to this years IBS Benchrest School in Tawas City, Michigan. Thanks Rick we appreciate it. Here are a few pictures of his caps.

Paul

Attachments

• Averill Rear cap 1.jpg
    Averill Rear cap 1.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 1,330
  • Averill front cap 2.jpg
    Averill front cap 2.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 712
pbike

Do you have contact info for Mr Rick? Those are some
good looking caps. Are they expensive?

Last edited:
Brendan
There is a bloke at Newcastle branch SSAA Who makes them. I can get contact details next time I see him or you can contact Fred Lawler at fwlawler@telpacific.com.au
Buy at home you wont be sorry.
Kim

Rick Averill

I second the praise fro caps by Rick Averill. I won a set last year in the Postal Matches and they are really nice.

I shot the Shamrock last month - the rifle is a beautiful margarita green, with Bukys scope mount, a new polished brass and aluminum tuner. I got asked only two questions about the rifle all weekend - where did I get the leather scope caps.

They are really nice.

Scott

I have scope caps of about every desighn and the Averill caps are the best. I would highly recommend his caps.

Caps

I need some contact info for Rick. I need some caps for some of my scopes. I need to buy something today- it's a sickness you know!:eek:
Thanks,
Dan Batko

Scope Caps

Thanks,
I'll get in touch with him.

Best,
Dan Batko

Leather scoep caps

It’s time I chimed in. First of all a thank you to Francis, Paul, and the rest for there kind words. Yesterday I was swamped with e-mails, got mixed up with a couple and apologize for that. From this response I have to buy a new computer today, this has been coming for a long time. I have been working between 2 machines and neither is very good. When I get the e-mails straightened out that I screwed up I will finish answering the last couple.
I started making leather scope caps somewhat by accident; I wanted a bolt holster but couldn’t find anything that suited me. I played with some reclaimed leather and fashioned one, rather lousy but it worked, from there the quest began to make it better until I was satisfied. The same thing with scope caps couldn’t find what I wanted so I started experimenting. Then friends asked me to make them a set, which in most cases I did and gave them away. In this time period they were what I call one off, no set pattern just cut and fit for one time only to whatever model scope it was. I was really never satisfied with the results, some times close but always needed to be better. In the picture Paul posted was the last set that the rim was sewn on, the time it takes to do that became impossible for me to do, very time consuming. Due to more and more requests, two years ago I set out to find a way to make the 50th set the same as the first, still have the same look, and ease the wear and tare on my hands. I rap up better than two hours in each set, believe it or not but that is true and it takes in the neighborhood of 4-5 days per set, drying time and leather prep being the most. I have made all my own dies, stitching/ sewing/ gluing mandrels and this past winter made mock scopes for each. The only models that I do right now are Leupold Comp Series, BRD’s; Weaver 36 late model and just recently March 40 and the jury is still out on this one. These scope manufactures do a lousy job of publishing dimensions, most are incorrect or nonexistent.
I have been quietly selling a few for some time so as not to get overwhelmed. I am still learning after 4 plus years of doing this, have not found a source yet than can help with some of the problems, learn as ya go I guess. I fit most caps very tight, they will loosen with use, but leather poses a problem in consistency through out the entire skin. None of the outside rings can be mass cut to a given dimension; I did this and learned the hard way, each is cut, checked, cut again, trimmed until I am satisfied they will work. It is for this reason that I only do one model at a time, say 6-8 sets of LCS then another, set them aside until the burnishing operation.
At this time I am still working out of 3-4 boxes, my shop is not set up for just leatherwork; I do many other things besides that. At the present time I am making them only as I have time for, I have more in the works but it takes time to finish so I ask that you bear with me. (Also on my spelling.)

Thank you all very much……Rick

Back