Latest Precision mag Article

Doug Penttinen

"TESTED TEXAS TUFF"
In the December 2010 issue of Precision shooting J Mock wrote an article of Jack Neary's reloading methods which I found to be quite good. I have a question in hopes that someone might just answer. Jack mentioned for his .262 neck and thin turned necks he suggests a 256 bushing.
My only question is what about for a .263 neck of which I shoot.What bushing ??... I would like to try this method on the next trip to the bench.:confused:

If you turn your necks so that they are a half thousandth thicker than the ones in the article (which should give you the same clearance) it would seem to me that a .257 bushing should do the job. Opinions?

That makes sense to me... I'm shooting a Barts 68 Grain Ultra in all 3 of my guns and they are all 263 neck.

Thank you for you input and answer... Now all I have to do is get my butt to the workshop and get busy....

Duane

Sir: I did read the article.Twice as a matter of fact..... I know he shoots a .263 but he mentioned his working up loads for a .262 neck not his 263...
That is why I asked about bushing size.. Evidently you don't have any input other than to tell me I read the article wrong....

In the article it mentions that his .263 neck and shooting a Hottenstein BT bullet it will measure.2602.... My only question was to find out ideas on bushing size and I think that Boyd Allen answered that for me

That's not what I meant. I think James uses the .262 neck. I can see that .257 May be right for .263. Maybe Jack will weigh in. I know Jack promotes fairly heavy neck tension. FYI if you go to youtube, and search Jack Neary there is video in four or five segments of Jack's seminar in KC. Sorry if you missed my point. Good luck in your quest. DW

Last edited:
I'm on special med's but they have not kicked in yet. Michelob Ultra takes to long to kick in.... Me up tight - - When have you ever known me to be that way...
You see, you learned your lesson....

Guess this means that I'm on Santas coal list for this year.... Hope you and the family had a nice Thanksgiving out your way Butchie !!!

Bushing size

I read the PS article a couple times and the posts here and then crunched some numbers and it looks like .002-3" neck clearance on the loaded rounds and the bushing is .003" less than the loaded neck diameter. I believe the point about trimming for length in the article is uniform length and not necessarily the shortest length, unless you have to go minimum to get all the cases the same length. Thin to win; is that because thin gives more neck clearance or less tension, assuming that all necks are turned to 100% equal thickness. Is it more clearance or less tension that allows a jammed bullet to self align? How about annealed vs. non-annealed with all else being equal? - nhk

In the December 2010 issue of Precision shooting J Mock wrote an article of Jack Neary's reloading methods which I found to be quite good. I have a question in hopes that someone might just answer. Jack mentioned for his .262 neck and thin turned necks he suggests a 256 bushing.
My only question is what about for a .263 neck of which I shoot.What bushing ??... I would like to try this method on the next trip to the bench.:confused:

Doug,
If you have a .262" neck reamer, and you're cutting your Lapua .220 Russian Case Necks for your 6PPC to .0081"/.0082", I would strongly recomend using either a .255" or .256" neck sizing bushing.
If you have a .263" neck reamer, cut your brass to .0087"/.0088" and use either a .257" or .258" sizing button.
This is based upon using N133 powder, which loves lots of neck tension!
If you can find a day when you're at the range to practice with consistent wind angles and velocity which will hold for 30 seconds or so, try sizing your Lapua cases first with the larger of the 2 bushings and shoot (4) 4-shot groups at 200yds (200yd groups will more easily show you the changes you make in your loads!) taking the same aim point holds...
It's very important to not put your rifle away because of 1 great group... and go find your favorite restaurant/bar Bennihana's, Outback Steakhouse, Jerry's Bar and Grill in Orrville, Oh - (Reloading show sponsors, what can I say...)
Always proof your first "great group" loads by shooting 4 groups with the same great load(?) to ensure your magic load will agg consistently....
Now, switch to the tighter neck bushing and repeat the same (4) 4-shot groups in similar conditions. In my experience, with N133 powder, the tighter neck-tension loads will consistently agg better than the looser neck-tension bushing loads!
Hope this clarifies your question, Doug!
Regards,
Jack

Now this is some good Sh-t. There are very few soprts where a true champion will open the tool box and let everyone take a look. Thanks, Jack..........jackie

Neck tension

Where is the point of diminishing return with neck sizing, where an increase in tension stops because the bullet is acting as an expander? - nhk

Hi Fellas,
I heard one of Jack's Seminars in April. And immediately change stuff. And it worked. Well, sorta(pinched nerve in neck). Super Shoot was terrible.
July 4 weekend at Holton. Great weekend. Got my first trophy. And my second. Jack got my 3rd. A little mix up there. But, it's all good.
I just want to thank Jack, again.
JD Mock wrote a great story. And with the Youtube vids. by BRJonathank. There is a lot of info. All good stuff that works.
This is a great sport. :)

diminishing return

Seems like a couple years ago someone did an article for PS on increasing neck tension and how it related to seating pressure. Not sure this applies directly to accuracy as I can't remember much about the article other than at a certain point, seating pressure changed dramatically. Anyone remember that article or was it in the PS book?

Donald

Seems like a couple years ago someone did an article for PS on increasing neck tension and how it related to seating pressure. Not sure this applies directly to accuracy as I can't remember much about the article other than at a certain point, seating pressure changed dramatically. Anyone remember that article or was it in the PS book?

Donald

Donald, I remember a article in PS somewhere in 2005-06-07 maybe where a fellow was listing the amount of pounds it took to pull a bullet out of a case. Actually lots of bullets out of a lot of different cases. Hope this helps.
Centerfire

I don't want to put words in Jack's mouth but in the video he says "to give that case more room to expand and release the bullet". Or something to that effect. DW

If memory serves me right and in laymans English, turn for 3 thou TOTAL clearance and use a bushing that will give you 3-4 tension is what Jack promotes.

If I am wrong someone will correct me.......

I do not have a ball micrometer so when told to turn necks to this or that it means nothing to me.. I just ruin a few cases when I am settting up my neck turner. I turn then seat and measure the outside of the case with a bullet seated. I will repeat until I get the clearance I am looking for. I was running just under 1.5 total and am going to try 3 total this year.

I am starting to believe that more may be better. Do we know for 100% that our reamer is what it is supposed to be? The only way would be a chamber cast and how accurate is it?

The other thought is or I am wondering, if one uses the thinner necks say 261/262 versus say a 269 is as much tension required on the thicker necks? In THEORY, wouldn't the thinner necks have more spring back than the thicker? So I could see using a smaller bushing on the thin necks to achieve the same effect? The same then could hold true for say jamming a bullet into the lands. In THEORY, one should be able to jam a bullet further into with the thicker neck?

Just some questions to ponder if they have not for a while....

Calvin

Last edited:
Reminder, match your case to your bullet..

I agree with Jack and most everyone else that 1.5- 2.5 maybe 3.0 thousands total clearance is required. But remember not all bullets have the same heel (pressure ring) diameter. I have some bullets that measure .2430 and one that measures .2439, and others that measure inbetween. With that said, if you change a lot bullets, powders, etc like our buddy Bagget (sorry Larry) you might think of matching case neck thickness with bullet heel diameters or narrow your bullet selection. Boat tails are a different animal, no heel, just shank diameter. You are on your own there....Just my 2 cents..
Happy new year. Joe :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Back