Laser for setting flags

RLHBUSL

Does anyone know who sells the green laser used to set flags? The particular one I'm thinking about is in a box with adjustable legs that sits on the bench. Someone was selling them at the Denton match last fall, but I can't recall who. Contact information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance! Ryan

How do you use a laser to set flags without running the risk of looking straight back at it & frying your retina?
Regards, Ron

Someone needs to make a reality TV show about setting flags, every match cracks me up. How grown men can make something so simple > so difficult. We need to offer that humor to the world!

I've even seen shooters/flag setters, use their Cell phone to communicate. I tried the hand signals, but if your setter is blind or deaf, what do you do?

Settin em well

I have seen a number of folks use a line of some sort, most often mono-filiment off a fishing reel of some sort. I did see once some folks using what appeared to be a stout nylon line from a large reel, which I assumed may have 300 yds of line in it. I think the line may be a pretty good way to go as long as the grounds at the range is somewhat friendly. TK's method does seem hard to beat, I must say. I have watched a couple of times and helped him one time and it is a great method.

One of the ranges I frequent has lots of berms and a deep ravine between 100 and 200 so an arrow pointer wouldn't do a lot of good beind the berm, in the swayle. I have tried several radios that have the VOX system in them and tried a headset with hands-free feature but none of them have worked very well.

Another problem seems to be the ranges are littered with people who can't hear very well, now, that IS a problem with, what appears, no solution :).

Last edited:
This isn't rocket science. If you are not doing it by yourself, a couple of cell phones with Bluetooth earpieces should work just fine. All this fancy rifle and reloading technology and we are using smoke signals to set flags ;-)

This isn't rocket science. If you are not doing it by yourself, a couple of cell phones with Bluetooth earpieces should work just fine. All this fancy rifle and reloading technology and we are using smoke signals to set flags ;-)

Boyd,
I don't know about you, but in our area, knowledgeable Indians are gettin' hard to come by ! :)

Best,
Dan Batko

"Where are we going and why am I in this basket?"

Has anyone ever proven that flags lined up to the nearest .001" result in smaller groups? I don't think so.

JMHO

Ray

Ain't it the truth but I got to tell ya, I don't think I have seen anything that looks any more goofy than most people with those Bluetooth earpieces. I can't bring myself to do it and then there is this deal with most of the folks I shoot with being deaf - - - smoke signals work a lot better for them.

Setting flags with a laser is by far the fastest, easiest, and most accurate way of setting flags. One person can do it without any communication problems. Now with regards to the safety issue, looking at any bright light will usually result in some sort of vision imparement. Most of the time it is short term. Flash bulbs, halogen, and the sun are examples. With a laser though, the light is intense and concentrated and therefore one needs to be more prudent with them. In other words don't sit there and stare at one. Up close these might cause permanent damage. Most in use diffuse the beam with distance and thus reduce the concentration as you get farther from the source. One could remote control the on/off or have an bench assistant switch it as needed when anyone is about to cross into your path. A caution sign at the bench might be helpful to the uninformed. A little care on both parties will elimate the safety issue and we could still have a great tool to use.

I think its great HOWEVER I WAS A VICTIM of walking in front of one of those danmm things and could not see good for 10 minutes.
Dont give me that cra$ about they cant/wont hurt you.

How do you use a laser to set flags without running the risk of looking straight back at it & frying your retina?
Regards, Ron

I use one. Viridian. Very helpfull. 10 min. shutoff. http://www.viridiangreenlaser.com/
Mounted on a board w/ adjustable legs and a scope mounted next to it.
I work with several 8000 watt CO2 lasers. Regular safety glasses are fine. We weld sheet metal for cars and trucks. Safe if used correctly.

Only problem in 2 yrs. someone with a big behind bumped my setup. I get to the last flag and they were crooked. And the laser was off target. I think, they tried to fix it.....
They will remain nameless.......

Yes safe if used correctly.
Then maybe the people using them on the line should be required to issue safety glasses to everyone on the range when they use one. Along with safety and instructional classes.
That hurt when it happend to me.
Prior to that I was all for it, now I am thinking of trying to bring up a rule for the NBRSA to consider for safety reasons.

Yes safe if used correctly.
Then maybe the people using them on the line should be required to issue safety glasses to everyone on the range when they use one. Along with safety and instructional classes.
That hurt when it happend to me.
Prior to that I was all for it, now I am thinking of trying to bring up a rule for the NBRSA to consider for safety reasons.

You have to be careful because you can buy green lasers rated well over 5mW in power. Your aversion reflex(makes you shut your eyes immediately when exposed to sun or bright light) protects your eyes with little or no visual impairment when exposed to low level laser enery. Higher energies applied to the retina can result in temporary visual problem like you had, Vern. Higher energies deposited to the retina may have permanent effects, even though you think your vision has recovered totaly. They are certainly a great tool for flag setting, but if using one, I think you have some responsibility to warn others that may stray into the beam.

Back