Just started carrying berger bullet at my shop!

dragman

I just got my first order of bergers in the shop. 10,000 rounds of bergers just bring a smile to my face! Now hopefully they are as big of a hit as I think they will be.

the problem i have had with bergers is midway's pricing. hard to make a buck fighting thier pricing. good luck.
mike in co

At your shop Berger in stock bullets are there to purchase immediately with no shipping charges.
And as sales increase you can order more often thus being able to supply Berger special orders much faster that Midway.
Ship orders in the same lot # if possible .

Everyone wants a price break - Bergers are not " Dogtown " bullets.......
You do get what you pay for in this case.

I do agree with Mike -the reason for the comment above.

Glenn:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a Berger dealer also. I've mentioned to them before, shipping costs. They ship UPS. If they'd use USPS, it'd cost about 1/2 as much to ship bullets to their dealers. That'd make them more competitive, price wise, to the end user IMO. That said, I think they're an awesome "off the shelf" bullet.---Mike Ezell

Pricing is always hard because of the crazy shipping costs. I think I will be able to remain competitive though we will have to see.

my comment was on midway berger pricing. i talked to walt about it( this year at the shot show), but its out of his hands.
i do parttime work for an ffl and i set up his berger dealership over 10 yrs ago, so yes i know what i am talking about.
glenn...you honestly think a small shop can order more often at lower prices than midway ??.......you need to look into price structure.....volume = discount.
again good luck..i think its great to carry one more product line for the customers.
take them to those famous 1000 yd pa matches and sell them there ??
mike in co

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are going to mass produce bullets, can you really beat Sierra? I wonder how you go about beating their in-house tooling, and maintenance?

Pricing on the Bergers continue to be an issue. For most dealers the shipping cost are to much. If Berger would offer bulk packages of the bullets sized to fit the Post Office's flat rate boxes this would make a difference.

I have the same problem with Midway. Somethings, mostly specials, they will ship USPS Flat Rate but the normal or seems to come UPS or FedX. I like to check shipping rates for myself & ask Midway for that rate [means of shipping]. If they refuse I don't order. I own a bullet business myself & always ship the best way for the customer. It's just a matter of service.

You know I try to stay out of some of these replys to threads, but mike in co why is it important to you to talk down to people, you did it to me the very first time I came to this forum and you do it all the time.
Dave T

The only problem I see is many-fold..............

1. If you ship USPS, and the package is large enough, you will suffer damage from the mailman/woman dropping the boxes off the truck and using other means of final delivery that are DETRIMENTAL from an accuracy standpoint, to your order.

2. There is a different price structure for 'bulk orders'; where Midway will get 'Distributor prices', everyone else pays a higher 'Dealer price' structure, which hampers the smaller shops price-wise, and actually is anti-growth for berger in the long run as it hampers the distribution/exposure of products to a wider audience/degree. Examples of more realistic value-pricing would be either dealer-direct, or, like Dillon, consumer-direct sales, AND, (Heavens), cut by at least 50% the threshold for distributor pricing. DROP GSA pricing across the board, (good luck), where the 11% "excise tax" is NOT paid by military/federal/police agencies, thereby continuing to force the end-consumer (sportsman) to additiomally partially finance a death-oriented economy. Bring those 'end-consumers' under the Pittman-Robertson umbrella, too.

3. "I talked to Walt about it, but its out of his hands." Obviously, because he has sold the company and the new owners like many others, are strapped to an archaic pricing sructure and the acceptance of a, '...that's the way its done...' reasoning.

4. Many states, like California, are illegally adopting "Use Taxes", where the 'taxpayers' blindly accept these contraventions to the Constitution; whereas they can, actually, legally formulate a 'contract' w/out-of-state establishments combined with lawful delivery in-state and arrange their transactions to avoid, but not evade, unlawful state taxes. States continue to pass these laws, unchallenged, where there IS precedent in the SCOTUS that has declared them as unconstitutional.

5. Some of these solutions ARE detrimental to the individual shops right now, but a dealer-direct program would still allow shops to advertise their products and communicate the FABs on a knowledge-experience basis, rather than a telemarketing establishment (Brownell/Midway), where all they do is take your order and cannot offer any advice as to the viability of the product, providing positive/negative possibilities and possible cures. Ignorance prevails. The next logical big step for these establishments is to move their telemarketing operations overseas like so many others have done, and, if we refuse to purchase, this will accelerate the demise of our sport by the one-worlders, so we're damned if we do/don't; Heads I win, tails you lose. Great positioning.....

Until people wake up to the "debt-oriented" currency, and the unrestricted spending of STATE-level criminal politicians first, then federal-level criminals, all we will see, unfortunately, is the continuation of anti-business currency practices that are so repugnant they sparked the Revolutionary War. BUT, we NEVER hear about this being studied by our children/grandchildren, unless they happen to be lucky enough to have some "rogue-element" teacher :) , who surely WON'T be there teaching in following years....

package properly and even at the full 70 lb limits..it is not an issue.
package for the weight and the limited care/skill of the usps personnel.
i ship usps. it ain that big of a deal, and volume shippers get even a better deal.
i have shipped brass( cartridge cases) lead, and bullets. all have been recieved intact...because they were packaged correctly.
the talked to walt comment , was i set up a small dealer and all is well, tried to do it again and no go.
too many degrees and no common sense.

mike in co
1. If you ship USPS, and the package is large enough, you will suffer damage from the mailman/woman dropping the boxes off the truck and using other means of final delivery that are DETRIMENTAL from an accuracy standpoint, to your order.

Mike in co.! To me, a custom bullet is made one at a time in custom die's. What are you calling a custom bullet, and where does the Berger fit in? I am home by the way! Have you ever seen a bullet made, or made one? I have four die set's, and go back to the 60"s making bullets. My guess is you have never made a bullet, but talked to a guy that did.

i'm sorry ...what does this have to do with the lack of dealer pricing support by berger ???

yes i make bullets all the time...i shot a match today with bullets i made.
next.

mike in co
Mike in co.! To me, a custom bullet is made one at a time in custom die's. What are you calling a custom bullet, and where does the Berger fit in? I am home by the way! Have you ever seen a bullet made, or made one? I have four die set's, and go back to the 60"s making bullets. My guess is you have never made a bullet, but talked to a guy that did.

If you are going to mass produce bullets, can you really beat Sierra? I wonder how you go about beating their in-house tooling, and maintenance?
Yes. Their in-house tooling and maintenance may make their delivery of product a little smoother, but the technology they use -- at least, in 2005, when I visited the Missouri plant -- is not on par with Berger. How much that matters is another story, I'm not qualified to judge the effectiveness of the Berger "sensor" system in detecting problems. If if is effective, they are that much ahead of Sierra (or were, in 2005).

FWIW

BTW, I shoot BIBs & own no stock in any bullet making company.

kay,
and all.
i have worked for usps specifically in priority mail.
light packages get tossed to thier bin( you can read that thrown......but heavy packages are handled pretty carefully..at the distrubution center....what the individual post office and carrier do...i do not know. i have had excellent results with usps priority mail.
ups..
i toured thier plant....they throw nothing...hand carried and belts.....now things can fall off belts( and land on a visitors head and cause serious damage to the visitor. when the pacakage in question was picked up to rough est it weight, and then toss back to the ground...the tour supervisor nearly fainted...but had still done nothing for the injured visitor).
i'll stick with usps for most my shipping...i do use ups ocassionally.
mike in co
If you ship USPS, and the package is large enough, you will suffer damage from the mailman/woman dropping the boxes off the truck and using other means of final delivery that are DETRIMENTAL from an accuracy standpoint, to your order.

What the heck are other means of final delivery? Do they strap them to the back of a Yak and transport them across the desert then bring them to your house?
Does FedEx and UPS hire only gentle non-dropping employees?

Oh yeah Powder Valley has way better pricing than Midway USA even after they tell you about there super savings.
Kay

Good friend of mine regularly ordered bullets, and they were always shipped usps. He happened to be home when they were dropped off, yes, dropped off, the rear of the mail truck/van, one day, and the woman then used her feet and hands to push them up behind his automobile in the driveway, and scooping up the escapees and placing them on top of the packaging.

Now, I know there are weight limits w/every shipper, but I've also read, and heard from usps employees, that delivery people AND some supervisors, actively employ discouraging tactics AND speech to dissuade customers from continuing these weighty purchases (they prefer 50-55 lbs instead of 70-73 lbs). My friend had gotten, over three-five years, about a half dozen of these shipments, some had burst open upon hitting the ground, and numerous bullets that had been on the downside, were marked (Dented) and unusable.

Now, he WAS ordering them from a supplier that had extensive experience in the bullet/shipping/packaging arena; the bullets were in the proper boxes, not too many to a box, smaller boxes inside, numerous small boxes, and adequate padding, even using more usps boxes inside as stiffeners/padding on all six sides.

My order came UPS and like other things I had to make a really big order to get the optimal pricing. They back ordered a lot of them so I am waiting on them still, but I did get pretty good pricing. It is definately a hard game if you only want to stock 20-25 boxes and then order 2 or 3 at a time to refill stock.

usps weight limit is 70 lbs.....not one chance of going over. they will return it.
properly boxed they will make it.

read me again
proerly boxed they will make...the term is properly...as in defend against the handlers. lots of tape...double packaged inside.
i have NEVER had a customer inform me a package was damaged or incomplete and i have been doing this for over 4 years.
yes they perfere lighter packages...wouldn't you ???
but the rules are the rules....he should have reported the damage and the behavior.

and again good luck on the berger sales.
mie in co
Good friend of mine regularly ordered bullets, and they were always shipped usps. He happened to be home when they were dropped off, yes, dropped off, the rear of the mail truck/van, one day, and the woman then used her feet and hands to push them up behind his automobile in the driveway, and scooping up the escapees and placing them on top of the packaging.

Now, I know there are weight limits w/every shipper, but I've also read, and heard from usps employees, that delivery people AND some supervisors, actively employ discouraging tactics AND speech to dissuade customers from continuing these weighty purchases (they prefer 50-55 lbs instead of 70-73 lbs). My friend had gotten, over three-five years, about a half dozen of these shipments, some had burst open upon hitting the ground, and numerous bullets that had been on the downside, were marked (Dented) and unusable.

Now, he WAS ordering them from a supplier that had extensive experience in the bullet/shipping/packaging arena; the bullets were in the proper boxes, not too many to a box, smaller boxes inside, numerous small boxes, and adequate padding, even using more usps boxes inside as stiffeners/padding on all six sides.

Back