Just reamed my .262 to .269...Question ?

matchman

Rifle All re-assembled, New Brass prepped . I loaded a bullet into a dummy round out far and I get the typical rifling land contact marks on the bullet.
I also have a small contact line almost connecting each rifling mark. (running around the circumference )
Im thinking maby I should do a chamber casting ?
Thanks
Adam

Last edited:
Rifle All re-assembled, New Brass prepped . I loaded a bullet into a dummy round out far and I get the typical rifling land contact marks on the bullet.
I also have a small contact line almost connecting each rifling mark. (running around the circumference )
Im thinking maby I should do a chamber casting ?
Thanks
Adam

Your bullet shank diameter maybe larger than the barrel groove diameter thereby leaving a slight ring contact mark on the bullet at the ogive to shank blend...............Don

My guess is a little burr at the end of the new neck, it'll shoot out if you do nothing to it.

Detail nuts like Bill Calfee will 'hob it out,' others will use steel wool to scrub it, assess it. I guess I would be OK with running a little steel wool up in there with some solvent and feeling around....... maybe pull the burrs off a little.

al

Ring

The small freebore diameter on the reamer might be a little tight for the bullet being used.. Probably of no consequence.

I would go on ahead and shoot it, after all, that's what really counts.

What you have done, I have done many times. (I like to believe that I sort of pioneered the .269 neck). What I always do is set the barrel back at least .050 inch to be sure that the new chamber is indeed completely established.........jackie

I have seen a few newly chambered and fired barrels with additional
scratches in between lands. I suspect that micro burs buried in bullets and scored the barrels. Since then, I have made it a practice to brush a newly
chambered barrel. This has eliminated the scored grooves.

Thanks Gentlemen ,
Jackie as far as im concerned "you" are the Founding Father of .269 and its merits.
adam

When doing chambering work I feel a borescope is a requirement. There is no substitute for closely inspecting your work and only a borescope allows this.

Good luck

The diagram of the reamer size at this location indicates .2435 the bullet diameter measures .2433
I hope its not the reamer with a size issue .....(unlikely)
A little further investigating I found that I do not have this issue with a Bart's bullet (.2430/.2431) The Burger I was using measures (.2432/.2433) difference of maby .0002 in bullets

Last edited:
Back