Just getting into benchrest shooting.

D

djdilliodon

Hello all! While new to benchrest I'm not new to shooting. Been hooked on shooting since the age of 10 and been tinkering/accurizing them for myself (and others) since, always trying to shoot better groups. Here is a rifle I did that I'd like to shoot in matches soon. It's almost all done just needs some testing, sightron sII 36x, and a new stock. It's a CZ 455 currently with a leupold vari x III 3.5-10x40, Lilja .900 x 21" bull barrel with eps match chamber, dip aluminum mag well, trigger shimmed to remove creep with lighter spring breaking clean at 14 oz, pillar bedded, glass bedded, J&P firing pin spring, stock refinished to a lighter color, and warne rings. Any of you guys know of any matches in Long Island NY coming up?

E46929E9-7C1E-4587-8101-BBD174C3CA18-10094-000010909F182F05.jpg

BA190ABB-9C40-40A3-A275-3DD7BC5248FF-12143-0000142CC6134E61.jpg

The nearest matches to you will be our matches in the Mid-Hudson NY (Wawarsing and Wallkill located in Ulster County). We are in the process of setting our match schedules for next season. We shoot IR50/50 and usually our matches start in May and go to Sept. With the scope you currently have on your rifle you will be able to shoot in Sporter, 10.5 lb, 13.5 lb and Unlimited Class. If you put the 36X scope on it you will not be able to shoot the sporter class, which is limited to a scope of no more than 6.5X. We do have shooters that come up from Staten Island and NJ but it'll take a 1.5 - 2 hours for you to drive to our matches depending on how far out you are on the Island.

The nearest matches to you will be our matches in the Mid-Hudson NY (Wawarsing and Wallkill located in Ulster County). We are in the process of setting our match schedules for next season. We shoot IR50/50 and usually our matches start in May and go to Sept. With the scope you currently have on your rifle you will be able to shoot in Sporter, 10.5 lb, 13.5 lb and Unlimited Class. If you put the 36X scope on it you will not be able to shoot the sporter class, which is limited to a scope of no more than 6.5X. We do have shooters that come up from Staten Island and NJ but it'll take a 1.5 - 2 hours for you to drive to our matches depending on how far out you are on the Island.

Thanks for the info bill! I have no problems with traveling as that's all part of the fun IMO. Do you know where I can get some Official IR 50/50 targets to practice with? Also what score would one have to shoot in sporter class and 10.5 lb class to be competitive? If I wanted to compete in those 2 classes could I switch between the leupold and sightron 36x during the match? Thanks for the help!

djdilliodon,

Your sporter will have to weigh less than 7 1/2 lbs. to meet the rule. You can switch scopes between classes if you like. Targets are available thru the 50/50 website, there is a link on the home page here.
To win a local match you will need to shoot a 249 or 250. To win at a regional or national match you need to shoot a 250 with a very high X count. That said, you will be welcomed at any match regardless of score shot. These guys know what it takes to win and will not ridicule anyone that has the courage to show up and shoot. I started out with position rifles and didn't do very well to say the least. Everyone was very encouraging and made me feel welcome even at the bigger matches.

Look forward to shooting with you somewhere this season.

Ken Henderson

djdilliodon,

Your sporter will have to weigh less than 7 1/2 lbs. to meet the rule. You can switch scopes between classes if you like. Targets are available thru the 50/50 website, there is a link on the home page here.
To win a local match you will need to shoot a 249 or 250. To win at a regional or national match you need to shoot a 250 with a very high X count. That said, you will be welcomed at any match regardless of score shot. These guys know what it takes to win and will not ridicule anyone that has the courage to show up and shoot. I started out with position rifles and didn't do very well to say the least. Everyone was very encouraging and made me feel welcome even at the bigger matches.

Look forward to shooting with you somewhere this season.

Ken Henderson

With the leupold I should be right at the limit for the sporter weight. I will have to put the rifle on a scale to confirm cause its gonna be close! That lilja has some weight to it. I went on the 50/50 website and when I click the link to purchase targets it says page not found? I'd love to get my hands on some this way I could not only practice but can improve my shooting skills on this type of shooting. It will also show if I got a shot at being competive or not. I've built a few cz 455 setups with the lilja and many times with match ammo they will shoot in the .1's and .2's with proper bedding. IMO that's pretty fine accuracy for a setup that will run about $900 (not including glass) doing all the work yourself and price includes the rifle, barrel, pillar bedding, glass bedding, trigger ect. Is there another source I can get these targets from?

With the leupold I should be right at the limit for the sporter weight. I will have to put the rifle on a scale to confirm cause its gonna be close! That lilja has some weight to it. I went on the 50/50 website and when I click the link to purchase targets it says page not found? I'd love to get my hands on some this way I could not only practice but can improve my shooting skills on this type of shooting. It will also show if I got a shot at being competive or not. I've built a few cz 455 setups with the lilja and many times with match ammo they will shoot in the .1's and .2's with proper bedding. IMO that's pretty fine accuracy for a setup that will run about $900 (not including glass) doing all the work yourself and price includes the rifle, barrel, pillar bedding, glass bedding, trigger ect. Is there another source I can get these targets from?

Go to the IR 50/50 home page and click the contact link at the top. That will put you in touch with Bill Hinegardner and he'll fix you up. There might be a minimum order for the targets.

You'll find in this game as you shoot for X's that groups aren't really important. They'll help get your rifle tuned properly but the real test is shooting one bull at a time and moving to the next bull and doing it again- 25 times. The equipment you use will play a big part in how your rifle behaves from one bull to the next. In Ir 50/50 a 250-1X beats a 249-24X so consistency is the building block. That's where rifles like the CZ often let you down when they're up against the big boys shooting custom rifles.

Thanks for the info bill! I have no problems with traveling as that's all part of the fun IMO. Do you know where I can get some Official IR 50/50 targets to practice with? Also what score would one have to shoot in sporter class and 10.5 lb class to be competitive? If I wanted to compete in those 2 classes could I switch between the leupold and sightron 36x during the match? Thanks for the help!

So Ken already filled you in on many of your questions. If you want to see the kinds of scores necessary to win or be in the hunt at our matches you can go to this link http://www.ir5050.com/results1 and scroll down and look at the scores for Wallkill and Wawarsing clubs matches last season. As Ken stated you pretty much need a 250 or 249 in any of the classes to win. If you see a win with a score less than that, it was probably a pretty windy day. Some of the equipment you'll need to get started is a good rest (two piece sand filled bags on the rests are required for sporter, 10.5 and 13.5 lb classes). You should also get some wind flags (if you don't already have some) and practice using them. If you can manage switching scopes between matches and still have them so after you switch you'll be able to zero in on one of the sighters and not put a shot into a record bull, then you can do that. However, I know of no one that does that. If you're going to compete in sporter and 10.5 with the same rifle you might as well shoot the 13.5 lb as well. Get in as much shooting as you can to make that long drive worthwhile. If you're thinking about joining us in our matches, you should probably focus more on learning about the sport from us rather than focus on being competitive in your first matches. Many of us shooting at these matches have been at it a while and have acquired world-class rifles. The bar is set pretty high. We had several new shooters join us in the last couple years that have become very competitive and some have come to flat out kick our butts (yeah I'm talking about you Ed Longo) in very quick order. The one thing I can guarantee, is a warm welcome and a helping hand. - Bill Buskey match director at Wawarsing Rod and Gun club.

Last edited:
So Ken already filled you in on many of your questions. If you want to see the kinds of scores necessary to win or be in the hunt at our matches you can go to this link http://www.ir5050.com/results1 and scroll down and look at the scores for Wallkill and Wawarsing clubs matches last season. As Ken stated you pretty much need a 250 or 249 in any of the classes to win. If you see a win with a score less than that, it was probably a pretty windy day. Some of the equipment you'll need to get started is a good rest (two piece sand filled bags on the rests are required for sporter, 10.5 and 13.5 lb classes). You should also get some wind flags (if you don't already have some) and practice using them. If you can manage switching scopes between matches and still have them so after you switch you'll be able to zero in on one of the sighters and not put a shot into a record bull, then you can do that. However, I know of no one that does that. If you're going to compete in sporter and 10.5 with the same rifle you might as well shoot the 13.5 lb as well. Get in as much shooting as you can to make that long drive worthwhile. If you're thinking about joining us in our matches, you should probably focus more on learning about the sport from us rather than focus on being competitive in your first matches. Many of us shooting at these matches have been at it a while and have acquired world-class rifles. The bar is set pretty high. We had several new shooters join us in the last couple years that have become very competitive and some have come to flat out kick our butts (yeah I'm talking about you Ed Longo) in very quick order. The one thing I can guarantee, is a warm welcome and a helping hand. - Bill Buskey match director at Wawarsing Rod and Gun club.

Judging from the scores from your past matches its a fact you guys have some incredible shooters and setups! I will venture into an all out custom rifle once I feel my shooting skills are upto par in this sport. My goal now is to practice and shoot in as many matches I can with my current setup against shooters who's skills are at the top, this way it will only push me to be better. Could you recommend a legal front and rear rest that won't break the bank? Last thing I wanna do is show up with the wrong gear and not have the chance to compete! Also any of you care to share your current setups and ammo that works in that rifle? Any tips or tricks I should know for when I practice? I can already tell this sport has a great bunch of shooters that really care about the sport they love. Again any info is greatly appreciated!

djdilliodon,

Best advice for spending money now is, DON'T! Come to a match, bring what you got and shoot. Almost any two piece rest and bag is legal. Come see what everyone is using, ask questions, observe. Listen to what everyone says, try it all, keep what works for you. We all vary in thoughts, technique and methods.
Most guys use Eley black or red box some have had sucess with Lapua.

Always shoot over flags when you practice. Watch what they tell you. When you see a condition change use the same hold and shoot a shot. This will give you some idea of how far the bullet can move if you don't pay attention. They can move a lot. If you are shoting tens and x's and a bullet goes astray, shoot another shot, if it goes in the same place, it ain't the gun. You missed a condition change, changes occur before they show up on the flags. Sometimes they just don't show on the flags at all. Sometimes they show on the flags a couple benches over. Kinda keeps it interesting. Don't cherry pick conditions to practice in shoot the wind and rain as well as the good conditions. Can't learn to shoot the wind if you don't practice in the wind. Besides, they don't cancel matches for a little wind.

One afterthought, shoot practice with your timer, 30 minute is a long time. A lot of new shooters rush because of the time limit. No need to hurry. That said, if your condition is holding and you're shooting tens, keep shooting.

Ken Henderson

djdilliodon,

Best advice for spending money now is, DON'T! Come to a match, bring what you got and shoot. Almost any two piece rest and bag is legal. Come see what everyone is using, ask questions, observe. Listen to what everyone says, try it all, keep what works for you. We all vary in thoughts, technique and methods.
Most guys use Eley black or red box some have had sucess with Lapua.

Always shoot over flags when you practice. Watch what they tell you. When you see a condition change use the same hold and shoot a shot. This will give you some idea of how far the bullet can move if you don't pay attention. They can move a lot. If you are shoting tens and x's and a bullet goes astray, shoot another shot, if it goes in the same place, it ain't the gun. You missed a condition change, changes occur before they show up on the flags. Sometimes they just don't show on the flags at all. Sometimes they show on the flags a couple benches over. Kinda keeps it interesting. Don't cherry pick conditions to practice in shoot the wind and rain as well as the good conditions. Can't learn to shoot the wind if you don't practice in the wind. Besides, they don't cancel matches for a little wind.

One afterthought, shoot practice with your timer, 30 minute is a long time. A lot of new shooters rush because of the time limit. No need to hurry. That said, if your condition is holding and you're shooting tens, keep shooting.

Ken Henderson

Wow that's excellent info ken!!! I currently have some eley team and match to test in my rifle. I got an email back for the targets and will hopefully get 250 of them ordered by the weekend. Ill have to get some wind flags as well to practice with.

Forgot to mention that you'll need to bring a stool to sit on. A height adjustable drummer's throne works well or a shooter's stool like those sold by Sinclair.

Forgot to mention that you'll need to bring a stool to sit on. A height adjustable drummer's throne works well or a shooter's stool like those sold by Sinclair.

Found the one on Sinclair and will purchase. I'm gonna also pick up the caldwell rock BR rest with matching rear rest. I'm so use to shooting from a 1 piece rest that I have to get a 2 piece setup to practice with. I don't expect to win any matches anytime soon but when I do shoot in one I'd like to give it my all and be as prepared as possible. I wanna train myself to shoot the proper way in this sport and if it cost me a few bux, oh well that's life lol. Quick question, when shooting the 50/50 target during a match can you shoot the bulls in any order you choose or? Also the sighters at the top, are they shot at during your 30 min or before the match starts?

order

You can shoot the targets in any order you want and the sighters are fired during the 30 minute match time.

djdilliodon

Hello all! While new to benchrest I'm not new to shooting. Been hooked on shooting since the age of 10 and been tinkering/accurizing them for myself (and others) since, always trying to shoot better groups. Here is a rifle I did that I'd like to shoot in matches soon. It's almost all done just needs some testing, sightron sII 36x, and a new stock. It's a CZ 455 currently with a leupold vari x III 3.5-10x40, Lilja .900 x 21" bull barrel with eps match chamber, dip aluminum mag well, trigger shimmed to remove creep with lighter spring breaking clean at 14 oz, pillar bedded, glass bedded, J&P firing pin spring, stock refinished to a lighter color, and warne rings. Any of you guys know of any matches in Long Island NY coming up?

E46929E9-7C1E-4587-8101-BBD174C3CA18-10094-000010909F182F05.jpg

BA190ABB-9C40-40A3-A275-3DD7BC5248FF-12143-0000142CC6134E61.jpg

I am on Staten Island, and do shoot with Bill B upstate. My club is 10 min. from my home on Staten Island. On Feb. 10,2013. there will be three Rimfire Benchrest Matches.(club matches). You can come as my guest. You can call me at 718 967 8536.

Joe T.

Found the one on Sinclair and will purchase.

Before you buy that one (which looks like $105 plus shipping) you might want to go to a local music store like Sam Ash or Guitar Center and look for a "drummers throne". I found a really nice one that also collapses for travel for $65. It is holding up really well and is extremely comfortable. Plus, since you're buying it local you can give it a test and see how it fits you.

Last edited:
I am on Staten Island, and do shoot with Bill B upstate. My club is 10 min. from my home on Staten Island. On Feb. 10,2013. there will be three Rimfire Benchrest Matches.(club matches). You can come as my guest. You can call me at 718 967 8536.

Joe T.

Joe, I won't be able to go on that date since Ill be working the 3-11 shift on that Sunday :(. If you could PM me your clubs match schedule or point me to your clubs website ill check those dates and if I have no work I'd be honored to go as your guest!

Before you buy that one (which looks like $105 plus shipping) you might want to go to a local music store like Sam Ash or Guitar Center and look for a "drummers throne". I found a really nice one that also collapses for travel for $65. It is holding up really well and is extremely comfortable. Plus, since you're buying it local you can give it a test and see how it fits you.

I'm all about saving money when I can so ill check out Sam ash first. Thanks for the info!

You'll need that money for other stuff... believe me.

Plus, isn't it better to buy something with "throne" in the name instead of "stool" ?

This king prefers a throne over a stool!:p Hopefully I get good results from the eley match black box and the money I save on the stool... Oh I mean throne can get me more ammo :cool:

Here is a question for all you 50/50 pro's, what size .22 cal patches do you use for cleaning your barrels? I picked up some proshot patches for 17-22 cal rimfire but they are only .75". Shouldn't the patches be 1" for a tighter fit or will these be fine?

Back