Is a bolt stop a must have?

SSV1761982

I have an old 700 in .222. I came across a Shilen trigger that I would like to put in for a while just to see how it shoots with a good trigger. The trigger has no safety or bolt stop.

Would it be unsafe to do this without putting a bolt stop of some sort on the rifle?

SSV

The bolt stop is pinned into the receiver of your rifle. What your Shilen trigger omits is the lever to actuate the Remington bolt stop. Without the lever on the trigger you will need a small flat tool to reach the bolt stop in the left lug raceway for bolt removal. A lack of bolt stop lever doesn't affect safety, only convenience.

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not...

Why not use the bolt release & safety parts off the old trigger?
Regards, Ron

Ron,

My Shilen trigger is of the same external form factor as a Remington but includes an additional torsion spring not present on the Rem. The end of that spring comes outside of the left sideplate and hooks back into it right where the bolt release lever crosspin would fit. You might be able to do some work around but a different trigger or a plunger type bolt stop on the reciever is simpler if you need to get the bolt out frequently.

Greg

I put in a Jewell trigger in my CMP 40X Remington and lost the bolt stop. I have not lost any sleep since that day and am still able to face my friends. The bolt stop loss has no significance for me what so ever.

Not having a bolt stop is a real pita..... sooner or later you WILL flick it into your own face and onto the ground/floor. You'll nick your stock and upset your bags........you might even curse.

Now, if this DOESN'T happen then you're a lot more coordinated, cool and calculating than I'm :D:D:D

When all else fails I just use a screw from the hardware store...... find a 6X48 (I think) about 1" long and a nut and you're goodago.

al

I am with Al... to me a bolt stop is a necessity.. you can get by without a convenient bolt release but without a bolt stop you are going to mark up your stock, drop the bolt on the ground, hit yourself in the face... at least there is a good chance of that.

What a pain to shoot and operate a rifle with no bolt stop...

I am with Al... to me a bolt stop is a necessity.. you can get buy without a convenient bolt release but without a bolt stop you are going to mark up your stock, drop the bolt on the ground, hit yourself in the face... at least there is a good chance of that.

What a pain to shoot and operate a rifle with no bolt stop...

I have to agree with that Dennis. I had Rem 700 action on my silhouette rifle and I fitted a Shilen trigger - hence no bolt stop. I soon found out that there are two types of people who have no bolt stop...those who have dropped their bolt in the dirt and those who are going to!

B J,

Why don't you put your bolt stop back in? You don't need to take it out to use your Shilen trigger.

Greg

Some competitors intentionally remove their bolt stops in order to prevent bag settling caused by bolt impact on bolt stop, especially happens when cycling the fifth cartridge to complete a sub .2 group..........Don

B J,

I don't understand the problem you describe. The factory OEM Remington bolt stop lays almost flush in its receiver slot some distance from any Remington compatable trigger. Why would you need to remove the factory bolt stop from the reciever to fit an alternate trigger? Even without the sliding bolt release fitted to factory 700 triggers you can still tip the bolt stop through the left side lug raceway just like you would for a 600/660 or XP 100 action who's triggers don't have the release "transfer bar". Of course an externally available stop like your bolt solution is more convenient for frequent bolt removal than reaching into the side of the action with a small tool to release the bolt. What am I missing?

Greg

Why don't you

buy one of the bolt stops Hart's sells? They install easily and look good once installed. They come in Blue or SS. Not expensive either.

Some competitors intentionally remove their bolt stops in order to prevent bag settling caused by bolt impact on bolt stop, especially happens when cycling the fifth cartridge to complete a sub .2 group..........Don

so that's what I need to do???? I was wondering what was causing that?
I also heard I am supposed to say a little prayer when shooting that 5th shot.

I always had more problems with bolt lift and recoil than slamming it hard against the bolt stop...

Well, I wasn't going to comment on this but hey......

This is just goofyspeak :rolleyes:

ANYONE who has the control requisite to keeping the bolt from hitting the floor ALSO has enough control to keep from slamming against the boltstop and settling the sand.

I'm not saying that "some competitors haven't tried" this fix because guys will perty much try anything...... but as a technique??? Lose the boltstop because you're hitting it...... but carefully STOP the bolt right there so's you don't lose it???

I think NOT.

al

Wow

I 'm thinkin if my bag set up is that sensitive, i ain't going to get the first 4into a sub .2. My 5th shot usually goes astray due to the pucker factor most often. And if the pucker doesn't do it, the shoulder will.

Dave

Last edited:
Back