Interapid 5.5" indicator stems are available now.

Ben H

Guys:

Just received an e-mail over the weekend from Long Island Indicator Service stating they would be shipping me a 5.5" indicator stem I ordered some time back.

Thought I'd pass this along in case someone wanted to order one from them.

Cheers,
Ben H

how does the math work out for actual indication...0.001 ??

Guys:

Just received an e-mail over the weekend from Long Island Indicator Service stating they would be shipping me a 5.5" indicator stem I ordered some time back.

Thought I'd pass this along in case someone wanted to order one from them.

Cheers,
Ben H

I would think that for the purpose of indicating bores before chambering, the number value doesn't matter as long as there is no movement.

I'm curious...

I would think that for the purpose of indicating bores before chambering, the number value doesn't matter as long as there is no movement.

I would think so as well, but what cartridge needs a 5.5" reach? .50BMG is 5.5" *OAL*, and you can stick a thin indicator well inside the chamber! Also, I'm confused by the word "stem" which to me means the mounting end, not the indicating end. Not knocking it in any way, shape, or form, but I've been chambering anything I want with a 2" needle / indicator and a Mitutoyo or Gem thin-body DTI.

GsT

how does the math work out for actual indication...0.001 ??

Yes as the 312B-15 is originally .0005" with its 2.75" point. The 312B-15 is plenty responsive to dial a barrel in with the longer point so it really doesn't matter that technically it only reads to .001". You can infer between the lines tighter than that.

Per the question to how long do you need? You can't use the little Mitutoyo stuck up in a pre-bored chamber far enough to dial the throat on many magnum cartridges so that's where it comes into play.

Last edited:
Per the question to how long do you need? You can't use the little Mitutoyo stuck up in a pre-bored chamber far enough to dial the throat on many magnum cartridges so that's where it comes into play.

Not to be obstinate, but I can reach into the throat of a .223 or a .338 Lapua with the Mit and a 2" needle. What am I missing?

GsT

Not to be obstinate, but I can reach into the throat of a .223 or a .338 Lapua with the Mit and a 2" needle. What am I missing?

GsT

I made an incorrect assumption that the Mit you were using was the common short stem lots of us including myself use for shorter chambers. I use the Interapid for long cartridges and the MIT for short. We’re both doing it right. ?

Back