Indexing Barrels

T

tuna921

Does it work ?

Jury is still out ......But even non indexers believe in indexing the chamber

What do you think does it work or doesn't it.........

Yo Tuna!
You need to go the forum that Mike Ross has and see for yourself, yes it works period, if there is ANY bore curve at all . You must be listening to the same bull sh** from that forum that calfe and w small have.

Clarence

I believe all gunsmiths index. I read the opinion of one says he doesn't, sorry but I ain't buying that unless he is just not looking through the barrel, threads the action, screws it on and cuts the extractors wherever they happen to fall. Unless you do that you are indexing! If you make a decision to place a specific location of the barrel against the face of the action you just indexed a barrel in my opinion which ain't worth much but it is mine. Just like tuning devices and weights I believe that it will make a difference.

What if, IF, you start with a straight barrel? I bet that makes all the difference in the world. Indexing a crooked barrel might be helpful, indexing a straight barrel yields less impressive results.

What if, IF, you start with a straight barrel? I bet that makes all the difference in the world. Indexing a crooked barrel might be helpful, indexing a straight barrel yields less impressive results.

Straight barrels are as rare as two-headed snakes and I’ve never seen a straight barrel yet.
I’m sure there are some out there, but none I’ve owned or tested have shown less than a 3/4” dispersion at 50 yds in live firing exercises and the average is probably in the 2” range or there about.

Landy

A “less crooked” barrel! What’s the fun in that? Indexing would become a moot point and there would be one less thing for a whole bunch of shooters to argue about. LOL

Landy

tuna921,

The jury selection process has a procedure where the jurors can be challenged for any bias and excluded from participating in the judgment regarding a case. For the prosecution of the barrel indexing case there is one person who is the self appointed judge, jury and executioner. For the defense there is an experimenter that is sharing the fruits of an experiment and has offered it up for evaluation. In some backwater regions you may find you're just not going to get a fair trial.

I have personally reproduced the index experiment(s), more than 20 times using a variety of barrels, and have duplicated the findings of the defense. There has been one rather convoluted experiment done by the prosecutor, which in my mind was incorrectly done, proves nothing and reeks of prejudice. Each juror has to decide on reasonable doubt, and objectively come to a conclusion.

All barrels have some bore curve . . . what you will do about it is your decision.

Jeffrey

FWIW, I agree with everything Jeff said and I hope at some point in the future we’ll be able to lay this whole issue to rest. It’ll take some time though because there are far too many shooters without the skills to properly analyze/gather good data and structure a sound testing methodology. What this leads to is a large number of shooters reporting opposing results regarding indexing, with none of those results able to survive peer review. Those that use the “Scientific Method” do so for good reason….you’re able to interpret the data, and not the emotions or bias of the tester!

Also, FWIW, I’ve seen enough data from Mike Ross, Jeffrey Madison, Bill Myers, and a few others I won’t name, to convince me the chances are much too great we’re leaving something on the table if we disregard indexing.
As Jeff said, “what you will do about it is your decision”. I’ve made mine and while not based on statistical proof of the concept, I’m not willing to forgo indexing and I’ll continue to use/investigate/test it.

If Bill Calfee wants to be an “artist”….more power to him. If he wants to convince me about matters concerning smallbore accuracy….he has a long and possibly impossible road to travel.

Landy

I have an Anne 2013 for which I have a Benchmark barrel with a cone breach. I indexed this barrel(no tuner attached). One bach of Eley 10X. One test day. 4 positions done twice with 5 shot groups. Barrel liked 6 o'clock slightly better than 12 o'clock and didn't like 3 & 9 o'clock. This rifle has a Don Stith stock with his alum. bedded block in it. The rifle is not even my backup so testing further is on the back burner. And yes I know that the number of rounds shot do not make this test statistical relevant. It was enough to convince me that it is worth doing and I'm the only one I need to convince so FLAME away all.

Al Kunard

FWIW, I agree with everything Jeff said and I hope at some point in the future we’ll be able to lay this whole issue to rest. It’ll take some time though because there are far too many shooters without the skills to properly analyze/gather good data and structure a sound testing methodology. What this leads to is a large number of shooters reporting opposing results regarding indexing, with none of those results able to survive peer review. Those that use the “Scientific Method” do so for good reason….you’re able to interpret the data, and not the emotions or bias of the tester!

Also, FWIW, I’ve seen enough data from Mike Ross, Jeffrey Madison, Bill Myers, and a few others I won’t name, to convince me the chances are much too great we’re leaving something on the table if we disregard indexing.
As Jeff said, “what you will do about it is your decision”. I’ve made mine and while not based on statistical proof of the concept, I’m not willing to forgo indexing and I’ll continue to use/investigate/test it.

If Bill Calfee wants to be an “artist”….more power to him. If he wants to convince me about matters concerning smallbore accuracy….he has a long and possibly impossible road to travel.

Landy

Here here!

Back