i phucedup my lathe

rsmithsr2

ok had the feed in the wrong direction and ran the tool to the left into the work and now the feed(threading) is not right. slipping.
it's a birmingham 1440 3hp 220 3ph
i recall there is suppose to be a shear pin somewhere.
any help would be appreciated
small damage to bbl in the chuck, but still usable

I’d say most all if not all lathes have a shear pin on the leadscrew. They are usually located on the left side where the leadscrew attaches to the gearbox. Many have a slip ring cover over to keep the pin in place. If you don’t see an exposed pin look for a ring with a setscrew. Loosen the setscrew and slide the ring off to the side to expose the pin. The hole for the pin is often times drilled offset from the center of the shaft. When re-installing you may need to rotate the shaft 180° to get it to line up. Some pins are tapered. Most are brass. With straight diameter pins I have used brazing rod as a replacement.

To add: Getting the damaged ends out can be a pain. The last one I did I removed the leadscrew support from the right side so the leadscrew could be slid off and away from the gearbox. Once you do that you can drive all the pieces out.

Last edited:
thanks
after a nights sleep and some function tests
there is slippage at the carriage. i believe the drive lead screw is functional,
but when the thread control is engaged, the left right handwheel slips..not constant movement.
clues suggestions
the main gear box clutch did disengage. but today the only(apparent)issue is the carriage slippage

ok more trouble shooting switched from threading to turning/feed and all seems to work fine.
at this point i think i damaged the half nut(s)...

Back