I need some Help Choosing a Front Rest

B

BigMacky

I shot ARA last year and used a Von Ahrens one-piece rest. Rogers rest has the vertical and horizontal adjustment knobs towards the rear of the rest. I was able to move between bulls (sighters or record) quickly and precisely. The range of motion was PLENTY to move anywhere on the card and even way off either side or top or bottom. I emphasize the "precisely" part. Meaning it was easy to move right to the POI that I wanted and I didn't have to reach far forward to do it.

Well this year it looks like I'm gonna be shooting IR 50/50. So it's time for a two-piece rest solution. For me one of the hardest things to do is to decide what "piece of equipment" is "for me" without actually having one to try. I try to think out all of the pros and cons that I think I will find, I ask lots of questions, but in the end I think equipment selection is a real personal thing. What you like, and what I like, may be the same and visa versa.

So ... first off I'm trying to decide between a coaxial front rest or a knob turning front rest. Here's are some of my thoughts/questions.

Coaxial Rest ...

What's it like to move exactly to your desired POA? With knobs I've found that they are very precise and finite and very easy to get that exact POA, I'm concerned that with a coaxial rest I'll find myself moving back and forth and up and down trying to find that exact POA moving all around it and passing over it. What are your experiences?

When you chamber another round does it move where you were aiming? And along those lines, if you adjust the tightness so that it doesn't move, have you now made it harder for precise adjustments?

I'm reading that coaxials have enough horizontal range but not enough vertical range for an IR 50/50 target ... and you have to use a vertical knob, that just like the knob rests you have to reach forward for, how does this affect the convenience of using a coaxial rest?

Knob Turners.

I think my biggest concern with these is that I've never had to reach forward to get to the adjusting knobs. With my 1 piece I could use two hands (if I had to), one on the vertical knob and one on the horizontal knob, and "FLY" precisely to my next POA. It seems that it would be kinda hard to reach forward with two hands to be able to adjust both knobs at the same time and it would not be as fast moving one hand between horizontal and vertical knobs to get to the exact POA. Is it?

That's kinda it .... at least until I think of some more questions based on the answers.

I've read in a couple of posts that the Farley Coaxial people offer a money back gaurantee ... that you can use it for 30 days and you can return it for a refund, no questions asked if you don't like it .... is that true? That might be the way to go.

Either way ... thanks for any help ... I appreciate it ... Fred

You should look at the Fulghum Rest. I see more of them on the line around here than any other. It is easy to use, smooth to operate and Tom Sink told me you will shoot more X's. The Fulghum won ARA Nationals the pass two years and the IR 50/50 Nationals last year. I will try to find a photo of it for you...Rod

Hey Rod,

That was one of the "Knob Rests" that I was looking at ... and I already have the Tom Sink pictures that you brother posted awhile ago. Thanks ... I'm still missing the "hands on" on though .... and no-one near me has one.

Like I said ... THANKS .... Fred.

Fulghum Rest...
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC04582.jpg
    DSC04582.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 725
Rod,

Thanks for the input and Picture ... decision made.

Guess I like playing with "knobs" better than playing with a "stick" :eek:

Order placed ... Fulghum it is ... :cool:

The devil made me say that .... my bad :D

Fred

Big macky: Would you please be so kind as to let me know the cost of the Fulghum rest. garrisone.thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Chipmunk ....

Price varies based on what top you want and/or what color you want.

Best bet is to call Ken at 1-336-625-0411

Fred

Back