Hunter Class BR

Slowshot

As some may have read, I am a disabled shooter, only able to shoot from a bench. When I had my first custom rifle built, I had it built as with a HCFB stock because I plan to eventually give the rifle to one of my sons, who are not disabled and I want them to be able to shoot the rifle off-hand.

Starting this coming Spring, I want to try competing with the rifle but I do not know where there will be competition in that class locally. I live in Tacoma, WA and shoot at Tacoma Rifle and Revolver Club. I don't even know the rules for the Hunter Class competition. Any advice would be appreciated. Here is my BAT action 222 Rem. Hunter Class BR:

Dscn1530.jpg

Well, your range sponsors some NBRSA events. I looked, but couldn't find any "IBS" ranges in Washington that sponsor registered matches.

First step might be to get up with your NBRSA regional director,
Eric Stanton, Regional Director 503 887-0352 or email: ericstanton@juno.com

Here's the "blog" for the NBRSA NWR -- There is at least one more club in Washington holding general NBRSA matches.

http://nbrsa.org/2013-schedule-northwest-region

I believe your rifle is not legal for "Hunter" competition. Needs to be at least a 6mm, and have the case capacity of a .30-30, neither of which is met with a .222. Scope is limited to 6X, too.

But now that NBRSA has VFS score matches, you could shoot your rifle in them. It would be legal, though a .222 might be considered a bit of a disadvantage.

A second barrel is an option, but the boltface could be a problem. There was at least one guy who turned the rims on a PPC to fit a .222 boltface, which would let you shoot a .30 PPC in your existing rifle. A fair bit of work, but quite do-able. Youy could also get up with Bruce Thom at BAT & see just what could be done.

Another option would be to shoot group matches. You're rifle is perfectly legal for them -- all classes, if it makes the 10.5 pound weight (& "Hunter" is 10-pounds). Surely it will make the 13.5-pound class, even with that recoil pad.

Well, this is just chatter. Best thing would be to go to a match at your range, & talk to people.

Good luck, and welcome.

Edit:

I should have mentioned that a .30 PPC isn't legal for Hunter, either. But it is legal for VFS, and that big .30 hole helps you to score better. Actually, you're a lot closer to a VFS score rifle or a group rifle than to a Hunter rifle.

There are a few guys here who do specialize in Hunter rifles, they may have some ideas...

Last edited:
Slowshot,

They shoot Hunter Class in Wenatchee. I believe it is at the Wenatchee Rifle and Revolver club, someone may correct me if I have the name of the club wrong. http://www.wenrrc.org/. This is a club that hosts NBRSA matches, and unfortunately a .222 does not meet the cartridge rules in NBRSA competition. The range is only about 100 miles east of you. You could certainly watch a match if you are interested. Some clubs will let you unofficially compete in a match to get a feel for the game as well. They also shoot Hunter Class in La Grande, Oregon. A little farther away and also an NBRSA club. Both of these clubs have hosted Hunter Class Nationals in the past, and are home to some top notch shooters. Hunter class shooters are a friendly bunch, who would enjoy having someone show up to a match expressing interest. And as Charles said, you can certainly put a high magnification scope on that rifle and be ready to shoot in a Varmint for Score match.

Last edited:
Hi Slo-hand,,,,that is a fine lookin Benchrest rifle....as others hav stated,,,the only thing "Hunter" about it is the 2-1/4" stock...the rest is pure/legal "B"enchrest rifle....if it is less than 10.5 lbs it can be used in LV and above classes just not sporter or hunter...(NBRSA rules) ...you can prolly shoot that at any event commonly held and do well and have a great deal of fun/pride in your results....Roger

Hi Slo-hand,,,,that is a fine lookin Benchrest rifle....as others hav stated,,,the only thing "Hunter" about it is the 2-1/4" stock...the rest is pure/legal "B"enchrest rifle....if it is less than 10.5 lbs it can be used in LV and above classes just not sporter or hunter...(NBRSA rules) ...you can prolly shoot that at any event commonly held and do well and have a great deal of fun/pride in your results....Roger

Also must be conventional bedding, not glued in for Hunter Class.

I want to try competing with the rifle but I do not know where there will be competition in that class locally. I live in Tacoma, WA and shoot at Tacoma Rifle and Revolver Club. I don't even know the rules for the Hunter Class competition. Any advice would be appreciated. Here is my BAT action 222 Rem.

You've got a great looking Bench gun! Get a hold of Rick Graham (206) 214-6484 of Graham Wind Flags fame, one of the finest BR shooters in the Northwest along with others. Rick is only 34 miles or 38 minutes away in Seattle. He'll explain what's available in the area and get you situated.

Hi Slowshot.
You are welcome to come shoot the matches at Tacoma Rifle and Revolver.
I`m the match director at TRRC. We would be happy to have you. Drop me an email.
I`ll be posting the schedule next week.
Jeff Lewis
varminthunter1@comcast.net

Hi Slowshot.
You are welcome to come shoot the matches at Tacoma Rifle and Revolver.
I`m the match director at TRRC. We would be happy to have you. Drop me an email.
I`ll be posting the schedule next week.
Jeff Lewis
varminthunter1@comcast.net

Thanks to all who replied. This reply is exactly what I was looking for.

Jeff,
We may have met at one of the Varmint Hunter dinners in Tacoma. If so, you may remember me as a guest of Russ Haydon at a dinner last year. I will write an e-mail to you with my phone number.

Don

Back