How Too ?

Louis.J

How would one go about reducing the size of a primer flash hole. Does someone you know of make such a tool.

It's how to, but most likely you would want to talk to someone who would be willing to run a few without a punch so that you could drill your own. Good luck. Or maybe find a way to stamp out some brass washers a couple thousandths thick.

Another thing that could be done is to put the case over a flat mandrel the size of your primer pocket and take a piece of steel rod the diameter of the inside of your case neck and FLAT on one end and insert the FLAT end into the case. When the steel rod contacts the bottom of the case whack it with a hammer until it starts to flatten and close off the flash hole. Do this until it closes off the flash hole enough so that you can drill it to the size that you want it to be. Would help to have assess to a good machinist or machine shop.

How would one go about reducing the size of a primer flash hole. Does someone you know of make such a tool.

Here's a thread from 2008, I'd been chasing this goat for years already at that time.

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?48293-Large-to-Small-Primer-Pocket-Conversion

I spent 5yrs trying to convince my contact at Kaltron Pettibone to slide me out a couple thousand 308 or 30-06 or unbelted magnum cases so I could drill my own to no avail. 5yrs of banging my head against this wall and then, like the sun rising, they introduced basically everything I wanted. 6.5X47L, 308 Palma, Basic cases and finally the 6.5 Creedmoor....

In 20yrs of trying I found no good way to reduce flashholes.......

Works on me

Take all of your Republican cases. Turn them upside down. Yell at the flash holes loudly: "President Kamala Harris!" They will instantly pucker up. Some will actually slam shut. Then you can drill them to whatever size you want.

I sent a bunch of 6br brass to Randy Robinett w/o flash holes. I still have a case of them. I've had 30-30, 223, and ? Can't remember all as I've played with a few several years ago and sold some.

Take all of your Republican cases. Turn them upside down. Yell at the flash holes loudly: "President Kamala Harris!" They will instantly pucker up. Some will actually slam shut. Then you can drill them to whatever size you want.

That's why turds are pointed on the end; so your ahole doesn't slam shut.

forming brass

Ive never tried it but yoou might have to anneal the case heads before you beat on it make it move a little easier. Those heading machines at work had a flywheel that was probably 4 ft. circle and weighed , I dont know, 4 or 5 hundred lbs. powered by a huge electric motor. Good luck. Doug

Michael Turner (known for his work with the 30-30 Winchester) I believe swaged down flash holes. He used a mandrel in the hole for size and ran a punch into the case to swage them down. Somewhere I saved his description of it and maybe he even posted pictures. Might search for it or ping him to see if I recall correctly.

Edit: Here you go. It’s in the text. http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?54959-How-I-make-the-30-30-Agg

Last edited:
Back