How to set up a joystick front rest

How times have changed. When I shot benchrest in the early 80s all we had were Hart rests and some adjustable tops just squeeze the bags in. Now the front rests are so fancy that you can move the top in every direction. I tried my brother's bench set up once or twice and I could not get comfortable manipulating the joystick, hold it before yanking the trigger.

Questions:

On these Sebs, is the gimbal adjustable, friction wise, to where it takes a little effort to move the top.

Do you set it up where the top drops down unless held up with the joystick?

When shooting groups, I never could shoot as fast with a joystick as I could squeezing the rear bag. Score shooting was a different animal and I found a joystick to be the better. The better when shooting a 25 bull rimfire target. I chose to adjust any and all rest restraint completely out such that when I let go the rifle fell to the bottom. I found that to be pretty good. I'm not saying that way is best but believe it's good as any. It takes a matter of seconds to load and shoot the next shot. You get pretty good, pretty quick, at holding the adjustment rod while you shoot.

try it both ways

Some shooters like for the joy stick to stay stable when released. I find it better this way for me. Then you only have to move it to adjust for wind etc. and do not have to hold to shoot. I found if it "floats" it is another item you have to control and a twitch on the handle can make a big difference. However different strokes for different folks!

Some shooters like for the joy stick to stay stable when released. I find it better this way for me. Then you only have to move it to adjust for wind etc. and do not have to hold to shoot. I found if it "floats" it is another item you have to control and a twitch on the handle can make a big difference. However different strokes for different folks!

I am sort of in this camp if and when I start bench or F Class. Minimize any potential movement like unconscious movement of the forward hand when executing the shot.

Last edited:
Nez a good rest will stay put without your hand on it. You can do it either way but if you let go you want it to stay put

Nez a good rest will stay put without your hand on it. You can do it either way but if you let go you want it to stay put

Thank you. I will try tightening much brother's rest next time I try it to see if I could get comfortable.

Geeezz, the modern rear bags are so stiff I could not squeeze that thing. I am so outdated I need to keep up.

If it was that stiff you should get your own where itll work right and you dont have to dump his sand out. Things come full circle- the soft bag is the in thing

Nez,
Tony Boyer went to a joystick because of arthritis in his hand. He won many HoF points with his.
Seb monitors this forum. He is the best to contact about your concerns.

There is actually some technique to using the joystick. I've seen people struggle and then noted that their top was positioned too high, causing them to have hand swinging in open air when operating the stick. Lower the top until you can rest the heal of your hand on the bench while manipulating the stick between your thumb and index finger, or between your index and middle finger for the other (sighter/record) target. Of course, you'll have to position your rear bag as necessary to get the sites on target.

Giving your joystick hand a solid rest will help prevent flinching and still let you hang onto the knob if that is your style.

Rod

Back