How long should it take to rebarrel a Anschutz 64?

L

Lewis Erwin

Rebarreling a Anschutz 54

Hello all - I've got an Anschutz 54 I took to a local gunsmith in April of '09 to have a new barrel put on. I still have not gotten it back. Called last week - he has the barrel blank (Shilen) - he's had the new barrel since June '09. Only thing accomplished so far is he's found the sweet spot. Still needs cut, crowned and so forth. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd be willing to take it somewhere else is. I'd just like to be able to shoot this year. I live in NE Indiana near Angola.

UPDATE: My mistake - It's actually a 54, (haven't seen it in a while) - does that make it more difficult or about the same?

Last edited by a moderator:
Time

It should take about 1 hour.

Call and get your parts back and send them to someone that will do the work.

George

It takes three days to get a barrel. After recieved, it takes about 4 hours, if you take your time to install on a threaded reciever. I have not done a 64, admittedly different. The only holdup is how much work is schedualled before yours. I know of several first rate BR smiths that don't have that kind of backlog. I'd go get my gun and not pay a dime more than the 250$ the barrel costs plus some freight. If the smith demands more for his "work" I'd bad mouth him here and everywhere else I could.

He has had long enough. I had one installed by a local man in one day. He also found the sweet spot and this barrel is a shooter. Of course, I caught the man when he didn't have anything else pressing. It took him less than 4 hours.

I believe you your are justified to pick up your rifle, thank the man, and start over. Finding the sweet spot is only a matter of a few minutes.

Concho Bill

How are you wanting the barrel replaced, Lewis? If you want the action threaded, most any competent gunsmith should be able to handle the job, plus the 64 is a concentric action, unlike the 54. If you are wanting the barrel pressed out & the new one pressed in & pinned as original, contact Evelio McDonald in Houston, TX. He does that type work well & his turn around time is about 3 weeks recently. His contact info:
EMcD Precision LLC
Evelio Mc Donald
4119 Chasewick Circle
Houston, Texas 77014
emcdonald5@comcast.net
281-893-1405
Good luck with your project; it is awfully frustrating when you can't seem to get things done in a reasonable amount of time - been there, done that several times.

Gunsmiths

Thanks for the response. I needed some validation that I was being more than reasonable. I would like to keep from the hassle of shipping if I have to. Does anyone know a good one around my area? I'd be willing to drive a decent distance to see one that can help me out.

..... most any competent gunsmith should be able to handle the job,.

This of course is the crux of the problem. How do you tell ?

In my experience delays like this can have a few different reasons. In no particular order;
#1- The guy doesn't feel confident that he can really do the job properly so he keeps putting it off.
#2- The guy can do the job but just doesn't like doing that type of job so he keeps putting it off.
#3- The guy runs his business like a hobby and has other things he would rather be doing other than prostituting himself for money. Things like hunting or fishing or whatever.
#4- The guy is just downright lazy and doesn't need the money.
#5- The guy doesn't like the customer for some reason.
#6- The guy spends all his time working on his own stuff.
#7- The guy is super meticulous and only does critical stuff when he is really feeling on top of the world.

Notice I didn't say 'because he has a tremendous backlog of work'.

Thanks for the response. I needed some validation that I was being more than reasonable. I would like to keep from the hassle of shipping if I have to. Does anyone know a good one around my area? I'd be willing to drive a decent distance to see one that can help me out.

This attitude is why you are in your current situation. How big of a hassle have you put up with so far? Boxing up and shipping out an action can be done in less than an hour. The gun will come back to your door. You won't have to go through an FFL on the return. Shipping your stuff to the best guy in the country is far less hassle than dealing with a local guy like the one you chose. I read about way too many unhappy outcomes that come from dealing with some local unknown gunsmith.

I am not being harsh, just suggesting a change in your thinking would simplify your life. I have had 2 dealings with out of state gunsmiths. Both were widely and highly recommended. Both jobs were done to the highest level of workmanship and made the 'hassle' of shipping a non-issue.

Good luck.

shipping

crb - it's okay to ship without a FFL?
I thought you can't ship a firearm or is that just US Mail?

Hey - don't get me wrong - I'm okay with shipping out of state. Just didn't know I could.

Do you have anyone you would recommend contacting?

Bore Scope

I suggest, that the GS had to carefully inspect the barrel to be sure it was what you paid for. If flaws are found, then the dealer or the barrel maker has to be notified. The exchange needs to be faciltated, and the process starts over.

Lewis, you don't have to go through the FFL thing when sending a long gun for repair. The gunsmith will log your gun in on arrival, then log it back out when he ships it back. It's about as simple as it sounds. The only exception I can imagine would be some sort of local regulation, but we don't have that problem here anyway.

gunsmith

Hey Thanks - learned something new today.

My local gunsmith is supposed to be in on Sat - hopefully I can pick it up. I've sent a note to EMcD precision - I'll see what they can do for me. Hopefully others will chime in on other smiths if that doesn't work out.

Please feel free to send me a private message on a good gunsmith, I won't post any info in sent in confidence.

crb - it's okay to ship without a FFL?
I thought you can't ship a firearm or is that just US Mail?

Hey - don't get me wrong - I'm okay with shipping out of state. Just didn't know I could.

Do you have anyone you would recommend contacting?

You HAVE to KNOW that you are sending it to an FFL holder. All true gunsmiths will have an FFL. When he is done REPAIRING it he can lawfully ship it right to your door. This situation is only valid when you are sending in a long gun to be 'repaired' and the same gun is being shipped back to it's owner. When you take the boxed up long gun to the Post Office you must tell them that it is a gun. No big deal.

If you are PURCHASING a gun from out of state it must be received in your state by an FFL holder who then tranfers the gun to you, the new owner. The difference is repairing a gun you already owned versus buying another one.

Ffl

When Shipping a long gun with UPS it's a good idea to have the smith your shipping your rifle to fax or email you a copy of their FFL, so you can show it to the UPS counter person. I live in a small town in california, sometimes they ask for it and sometimes they haven't. It's helpful to me have it in hand so I don't have to drive back a second time.

Sean

Still no further April 21 UPDATE

UPDATE - I gave the guy a second chance (to my regret) - He shipped it out to a dealer in NW IN for bluing and never bothered to check on it until I started bugging him to do so. Apparently the guy he shipped to is sick in the hospital - that guys wife was kind enough to ship it back. The Smith received the barrel back last Friday and has it now. Basically no further than where I was the first of March. I was able to get a hold of the gunsmith Saturday and told him I will pay him for whatever I owe him - but I want my gun back unfinished. He got pretty snippy when I told him that - unbelievable after a year of me waiting - I was polite still nonetheless. I plan to go and pick it up tomorrow (Tuesday) hopefully he'll be there and all my parts are there. I'm really concerned about my $400 trigger being there. Once I have my gun back - I'm going to see if I can plead to one of the better gunsmiths in the area to help me in my plight.

Out of Respect to every shooter on BRC

Lewis you have an obligation to tell us who the gunsmith is that treated you the way he did. By Telling us who he is we will not have to suffer the same B.S. you went through. Thanks Fred Leeds

rimfire wizard or shadetree

it's enough to make a guy speak in tounges and start namin names...if he specializes in rimfire inquirin minds need ta know...udderwise it's up to you...

Lewis,

Still not sure what you have a 54 or 64? Regardless you have Penrod Precision in NE Indiana and you can drive there.
312 College Ave. N Manchester, IN 46962 ...

bjm

Getting the rifle and barrel back is the way to go. Giving him a deadline at this point can result in either poor workmanship, or still no progress.

No Luck today so far on getting it

The guy is in the shop on Tuesdays and Thursdays normally from noon to 3. Well I called up today - was going to drive in from work - the gunsmith called in said something about a Dr appt - won't be in today. The gunsmith works out of the back of a gun shop as a contractor. Anyway the owner of the gun shop is not happy with this guy. I asked the owner to take a look - he was able to locate my stock - but apparently the receiver, trigger and barrel is at the gunsmiths home. I was able to get the gunsmiths home phone (reverse lookup - I now know his name and address) - which I called and left a message. He supposed to be in tomorrow maybe Sat - I'll keep trying. I will post any info I have on this guy as soon as I have my gun back. It may complicate things if I post before I get it back. This guy gives gunsmiths a bad name.

Back