How do You Start to find "the" load ? and keep it ?

matchman

I'll start by asking how may 5 shot groups do you fire at _ _ _ Yards to determine what that load really does ? I assume when this is found you will vary power as needed for the next time out if not performing the same ?
Adam

I'll start by asking how may 5 shot groups do you fire at _ _ _ Yards to determine what that load really does ? I assume when this is found you will vary power as needed for the next time out if not performing the same ?
Adam

100 / 200 / 300 Yd Benchrest.....?

If so...

6ppc...
2 - 3 shot groups mostly bullet seated .005 in the lands to as much as .010 off... Work the load up while watching the temp/humidity... N133, one will find several nodes.. Narrow nodes....With ""8208 "family"" one will find "smoother" wider tune nodes but still .3gr windows provide the "tightest" groups even with "8208"....Typically.

This must be done AT the range... loading at home and transporting loads to range is very ineffecient..

Lou Murdica in another thread is real BUSY doing this with lots of 8208 family of powder..!:eek:

cale

Last edited by a moderator:
If you take more than one load to the line, you can experiment, with 3 shot groups, on the sighter either before or after your record group. Deciding to make changes in lousy conditions is the hardest. I have seen more times when I wished I had made a change sooner than I had than those where I regretted making a change. Trust your gut.

caroby and Boyd Allen,
I have a couple of questions concerning your remarks above, however I do Not want to hijack Matchman's thread. I will start another thread not to do that. Your comments would sure be welcome....

Roland

caroby and Boyd Allen,
I have a couple of questions concerning your remarks above, however I do Not want to hijack Matchman's thread. I will start another thread not to do that. Your comments would sure be welcome....

Roland

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?75470-Equipment-For-Range-Loading&p=634434#post634434

Hope this helps.... The BR community is a helpful bunch............... Well till ya start thumping us at the Super Shoot... Then your on your own.............. Haaaaaaaa! Kidding..! sortta....! Ha!

Buy Tony Boyers book and read the part about load finding. He and Larry Costa (editor of the book) make it simple and logical.

Buy Tony Boyers book and read the part about load finding. He and Larry Costa (editor of the book) make it simple and logical.

Tony's book is well worth reading, but you could justify the cost on the tuning section alone. The description in the book is the best I have seen for stepping a newcomer through the process. And you cant fault the source. Its a very good investment.

Back