Houston Warehouse By Dave Scott

Bob1949

I just found this article and thought someone might find it interesting.

Bob

Download Full Article – Secrets of the Houston Warehouse By Dave Scott
Originally Published in Precision Shooting Magazine Special Edition #1 1993

precisionrifleblog.com/2013/10/18/secrets-of-the-houston-warehouse-lessons-in-extreme-rifle-accuracy/

Attachments

• secrets-of-the-houston-warehouse-by-dave-scott-precision-shooting-magazine-special-edition-1-199.pdf
    307.1 KB · Views: 379
Thanks Bob, I have read it already some time ago.
Isn't it fabulous?
I wonder how it would compare to "normal" indoors ranges.

Around here, we don't have any... :(

Thanks Pedro, I had read about the warehouse some time ago.
When I saw it again I thought it might be an interesting post.

Bob

PS. I know there is a thread in the General Discussion Forum about the warehouse,
this one though has a PDF to download if someone want’s to.

Last edited:
It's an interesting read

however, a number of things have changed over time. One thing I noticed I've never seen anyone do is to position their rifle with the stock midway between the front of the stock and the action. Might be worth a try and the hard bags, that's conflicting what others preach. Both mine are as hard as I can get them. If the rear bag is soft, the rifle continues to sink with every shot. My font bag is as hard as a rock yet it is filled with sand. Also, not having his rifle restrained on the sides was interesting.

Another real big item is Benches. Most places one shoots benches move and in some places, A LOT! So, many things fight us in the quest of accuracy. I do think if they had weighed powder charges precisely, their groups would have gotten smaller than they were and from my 20 odd years of shooting and testing, I know powder matters as much as seating depth. Also thought it interesting they never got good group from jumping bullets. It seems to me they "settled" at some point, which many people do. I never have. I do agree with him on not using cronos. I have one but quit using it many years ago because for what we do, the information is useless. If bullets go into one tiny hole I don't care, within reason, how fast or how erratic the speed was. I know there are some lovely nodes way down low that in any wind at all, they are useless and as one goes up, the nodes get narrower or accuracy within them get narrower or spikey. .200" groups still win matches.

Last edited:
Some time back Speedy discussed the warehouse. He said that in a season that he was doing excellent, he tried switching to everything that was said to have worked well in the warehouse, with disastrous results. Switching back, his success returned. You might want to consider that. I do not know of anyone who has said that he has done what was reported and done well in an outdoor match.

Eric Chamino

Some time back Speedy discussed the warehouse. He said that in a season that he was doing excellent, he tried switching to everything that was said to have worked well in the warehouse, with disastrous results. Switching back, his success returned. You might want to consider that. I do not know of anyone who has said that he has done what was reported and done well in an outdoor match.

has a youtube in which he interviews Speedy. Speedy mentioned the warehouse in it. In a no wind environment, very lite loads would give tiny groups that out in the real world would be disaster. I found that out quite early. I shot with Gene Beggs in his tunnel one day and that was one of the most pleasurable trips I have ever made. I was also interested to learn that the two most accurate rifles were both 6 BR's. Wonder why that has gone unnoticed over all those years?

Pete

Last edited:
Back