Homecoming match at Harrison...

dickw

After a hiatus of a few years benchrest matches returned to Harrison on 26 May. We had a good turnout of 22 shooters even thou several regulars were at the Super Shoot and other matches. Results...

VFS... bench guns...

1st Jim Dyke 250 - 22X
2nd Rick Averill 250 - 22X
3rd Dudley Pierce 250 - 21X

VFS... Factory Rifles...

1st Larry Feusse 250 - 16X
2nd Jim Dyke 249 - 9X
3rd Jeff Aberegg 247 - 6X

We were happy to see several shooters who started with us in our first matches way back in 1991.

Of particular interest to me was Feusse's winning Factory Gun... It was a Rem. 788 that he shot in his first match back then. He has it chambered for a 6mm .222 which he designed. It turned out to be a rather elegant looking little round and solidly beat the 30's. I mean... whoever heard of a 6mm beating 30BR's in 100 yd. score?

The class winners each got fifteen bucks cash and a $20.00 gift certificate from Jay's Sporting Goods in Clare.

Since the match director (moi) is getting very old and very creaky I was happy that several people helped on getting everything together that makes for a successful match. Evidence that the Harrison Sportsmans Club has a renewed interest in putting on BR matches was the fact that the club president was there for the entire match and helped get us organized.

We had coffee and donuts ready when shooters started to arrive. The donuts were from world-famous Cops & Donuts in Clare. I swear that if you ever ate two of their bismarcks, they would kill you... quite delicious.

Next match... score on June 9th.

Dick

Matt... you got any pictures?

Francis...

Factory class will always be a PIA if you run matches. We need to break it down to Factory Class AND Custom Class. Right now my problem is I don't have enough prizes for three classes. I guess we should break it down into three classes and when the gift certificates run out, you just get the fifteen bucks for winning. I doubt of that would stop anyone from coming. What the hey... I doubt if fifteen bucks pays for your gas.

There are several guys whose "Factory" guns have seen more time at Dwight Scott's than at the original factory. It isn't fair that Jimmy Gwinn has to shoot his fat, original Ruger against the sandbagger guns. The reason the IBS doesn't have Factory Class is the difficulty in making rules for same. The sportsmanship was so good that nobody complained despite having a perfect right to.

Small matches need to shoot factory class... that's where new shooters come from.

We'll probably break it down into Custom and Factory from here on out and worry about running out of prizes later.

What do people think?

Dick

Last edited:
Back