HOkayyy, test video

alinwa

oft dis'd member
So I've "started" a Youtube channel..... this is the launch...... took me nearly a week just to get thru the tangled web of my own insufficiencies re computers.

This is impromptu, this is me talking to the camera, testing lighting, sound etc

Turns out I've made one major error in my planning.... I pump music thru my shop. I recorded hours of video with music in the background because this is how I live....

I'm not allowed to do this.

I didn't know.

I HAVE learned a wee bit about filming techniques (nothing I'll ever show my kids, but good enough for me LOL)

So now I've downloaded something called DaVinci Resolve, an editing program, and am trying to remove and replace the soundtracks with voice overlays etc.

Editing S U C K S !!!!!!

So, I'm throwing this up just to see if the private link works. I've not gone public...

And I know that a large bloc of you don't care.

But this is a test

for ME

testing....

https://youtu.be/YGK76AKU4ac

Al very good video I fully enjoyed watching it. I like your talk about using the Gordy (grizzly rod). As I have been using it for years and love the system.
I use the weight as you and hold the very tip just like you. I put a small groove just forward of the very tip to help the rod rock freely.
I look forward to seeing more of your Video. Hope you don't take to long to make more.

Chet:):):)

gordy 1.jpg gordy 3.jpg

You are off and running to a good start of figuring out how the new to you world of YouTube works out Al. With the lathe running I couldn't hear anything you were saying and I do realize it was just a test run to see how it works. I did subscribe to your channel and I am looking forward to coming back as I do appreciate what you are wanting to share and have also asked if you would.
That brings me to a question if the only thing that is touching the inside of the bore is the pilot itself. Could not one make his own rod without it having to be ground perfectly round and straight as long it does not come in contact with the bore. Or am I missing something that I don't quite understand.

You are off and running to a good start of figuring out how the new to you world of YouTube works out Al. With the lathe running I couldn't hear anything you were saying and I do realize it was just a test run to see how it works. I did subscribe to your channel and I am looking forward to coming back as I do appreciate what you are wanting to share and have also asked if you would.
That brings me to a question if the only thing that is touching the inside of the bore is the pilot itself. Could not one make his own rod without it having to be ground perfectly round and straight as long it does not come in contact with the bore. Or am I missing something that I don't quite understand.

Thank you and,

Yes.

Many folks I've spoken with go off on tangents about the Gordy rod "climbing the side of the bore" and "losing resolution" and "not measuring accurately, ie screwing up the resolution of the test indicator" and to these and other "that'll never work" sorts my rejoinder is simply........ "OK" ....... I have no agenda, no secret knowledge and most importantly no wish to get into a contest of wills with every banty rooster in the coop. Contesting of METHODS and INFORMATION is my goal, not fisticuffs.

This is me

These are my opinions

My goals are simple, dissemination of information is key to the advancement of knowledge.

And if some of us aren't willing and able to be The Bad Guys by trying new stuff, advancement dies. The vehicle slows to a halt.

Basically, IMO if a straightened out coat hanger is inserted into a rolling hole and if said coathanger has a roller IN the hole and if the rotational motion can be translated to produce a repeatable vertical component..... then meaningful information can be gathered from this up-and-down motion.

I use the Gordy rod also. I have a .22 and a .30 that I bought and I made another in .270. I just used a piece of drill rod and turned the end for a tight slip fit for the pilot bearing. Instead of using a weight, I put a slight bend in the rod and use it with the bend to the front. My indicator is in a tool holder on the tool post.

Al,

I am looking forward to see more videos. I am very new in this barreling journey, I am open to learning. My buddy Butch guided me through my first chambering job (a glued 30 BR VFS), and have been using his method since.

When I acquired my machines in 2014 I bought the Grizzly rods, but never used them and have plenty of bushings. I plan to use them on my next project, thus the eagerness to see how you do it and learn from your methodology.

Nez

Thank You Guys :)

Y'er makin' me blush...... but as you can see in the vid..... with my fair complexion that's perty easy.....

I just had a friend call me and say "Hey, I heard you were asking around about editing techniques" ...... "there's a Youtube Channel that's all full of interviews and gun tests and reloading tricks and tests tests and cool stuff, I think the guy lives in your area and he's AWESOME and maybe you could learn from him and maybe he'd help and HE USES GORDY'S METHOD TOO!!!!"

wow

so I looked him up just this morning....

My Stars!

THIS is why I felt the need to start a channel..... dude "shows" using "Gordy's Method" in a friggin' 3_JAW!!!.... "yeahhh, I been threading since the 80's so this stuff is old hat to me, no real challenges, so nothing to see here we'll just gloss over the actual METHOD and the actual WORK and we'll talk some more about how AWESOME it all is....."

HOleee KRRappp..... so MUCH heads-full-of-mush in thee world.....

Thanks Al as my good friend who was a barrel maker back in the 70's would say it ain't rocket science Sonny.

Al,
I've long looked at your posts and admired how you can express yourself in a variety of ways. Particularly by using unique spellings and capitalizations and spaces so that make it seem like you're in the room carrying on a conversation. Even use some of your methods in emails and texts because it's fun to get a point across like that. You're expressive. Sooooo when I saw you were fixin' to become a YouTube star I had to at least take a peek and hear you a few minutes. Didn't get to see the whole thing but I'll circle back when I can.

1. You don't sound like I thought you would. (Who does?!?)

2. This is going to be educational for me, keep doing it, please.

3. I couldn't quite get over this, and maybe it's just me...........

Does Jeff Bridges ever get told that he looks like you?!?

Root around on the internet at some pics. It'll surprise you.....or him!

Take care,

Greg

Looked like I pictured him. I poured allot of concrete back in the day and we all tended to look the same mustache shirt jacket and all.

So I've made the channel "public" and I brought 26+ gigs of vid over to a fast innernet connection and mass-dumped the whole mess...... it's loading up en masse and I just got a notification that "one is up". It's a 2 minute throwaway that "fits" into several hours of video if I ever get it edited.

IT WILL MAKE NO SENSE!

So if anyone gets a notification, please understand that the main bulk probably won't be up until sometime tomorrow. I will then attempt to put the raw footage into some semblance of order.

Calvin, this IS NOT the segment I said "was being uploaded" a couple days ago.

Well'p, here it is 12:30 Ante Meridian of Sunday 02/09/20 and I _think_ the lead-in video of this second-round series just popped up.

Try starting at #119 (unless another lower number pops up) this non-edited blow-n-go extemporaneous attack is kinda' tough.

With over 60 mini-vids in the can, on 6 different topics..... and nothing sorted...... I'm hoping some of this follows. Hopefully getting the 'Gordying' series off the ground.

'tis an 'umbling endeavor ;)

Back