Heavy gun stocks

S

Steve Hoskin

I was wondering if anyone had any oppinions on which makes a better heavy gun stock alluminum or laminate

Thanks, Steve

Hey Steve,

I just picked up my HG last month, so I have not got to shoot it yet. BUT......I have been researching them since I started shooting. From what I have gathered, laminate is the way to go. It has something to do with dampning the various vibrations. My secon choice would be fiberglass (McMillan).
Like I said, I am going off of what info I have gathered by talking to shooters and reading on the net, not by actual experiance....take it for what it is worth.

Good luck, and see ya next summer....or maybe at one of the "tactcal" matches in Princton this winter.

Good luck,
Tod

Rifle stock material

Steve -

Howdy !

My rifle/shooting application allowed me to go w/ use of an aluminum "I" beam
set on it's side to become an "H" section beam.

I free floated the action ala' 1,000yd rifle practice, and secured barrelled action to the " beam " w/ a " barrel clamp ".

The beam is 36" long, and I used composite deck board material to fabricate
my buttstokc and fore end pieces.

This set-up allows me to reposition clamp further fwd as needed, to alleviate " any verticle induced by barrel droop or barrel harmonics.

I shoot live varmint and local paper shoots. Gun wt is 16 lb w/ a
29" 6mm SS Palma tapered Broughton "5-C" rifled barrel.
Your needs may differ....

I vote aluminum.

Best of luck in your endeavors.

Regards,
.357Mag

Hvy stock

A better question may be- who is making an aluminum stock????

As long as your young enough and strong enough, ALUMINUM mine weigh 80 Lbs. But I'm not young anymore. Just to Dumb to go lighter.

I have used Tom Manners carbon fiber in the past, does anyone use his stocks? I also have a tracker that I will be using for my light rifle any input? Thanks........................................Mark

Back