Has anybody tried a johnson design quick measure

Got one about 4 years ago,mixed feelings.
PROS
Its fast.
Its accurate.
Its well made.
Works great on a Dillon progressive press,turns out great ammo.

CONS
Its a pain to set up,(you have to drop a charge and weigh it,and keep adjusting.Till its right).
Once its set up your reluctant to alter a different charge weight.(more hassle again).
They sell a setting gauge,but I never bought one(you can log charges for reference,it makes it much quicker.But if change powder the setting are no good).
Its not cheep.

I bought a RCBS chargemaster and fell in love with it, I can set it upon the coffee table and have a leisurely night watching TV and dropping powder chargers.

It's accurate

The post above nailed it pretty good and I think it is probably the most accurate measure made by virtue of it's unique design and fill mechanism and after considerable testing against the other usual measures it was the most accurate.
The spring tension I think gives it good repeatability. But as mentioned it takes a bit of time to set the screw right for each load not unlike all measures do but there are no numbers to repeat so for multiple calibers it comes with a few different inserts to use for each load and they interchange with no tools instantly.
I really think that if it had repeatable clicks that the short range benchresters would all be using one.

It throws Varget powder as good as any measure if that's important but it will choke occasionally on the long kernels and stick like most measures and you will have to re-throw a occasionally (takes 1 second it's so fast) when you feel the powder crunch- no big deal the expensive ones do it alot more due to close tolerances of the drums and how they open and close.
If you use a beam scale it goes quick since you can throw with one hand since the unit is spring loaded and throws in the pan with no handle to pull......you just push the pan up against the nozzle to fill the drum by gravity and release and the powder drops in the pan. Small learning curve but pretty easy really and less co-ordination needed than with the conventional ones where speed and duration on the handle pull have to remain consistent for accuracy.
The only problem I have is that once-in-a-blue-moon the drum will fill and not release the powder for a second or 2 after "you have removed the pan" meaning the powder will fall out onto the bench and this happens rarely and is operator error and usually only with Varget stick powder and when I am tired and not paying attention and going too fast to notice.
If you don't want an automatic RCBS unit or don't need the "clicks" like the br guys do then I think you will love it.

QUOTE=bisley;669567]Got one about 4 years ago,mixed feelings.
PROS
Its fast.
Its accurate.
Its well made.
Works great on a Dillon progressive press,turns out great ammo.

CONS
Its a pain to set up,(you have to drop a charge and weigh it,and keep adjusting.Till its right).
Once its set up your reluctant to alter a different charge weight.(more hassle again).
They sell a setting gauge,but I never bought one(you can log charges for reference,it makes it much quicker.But if change powder the setting are no good).
Its not cheep.

I bought a RCBS chargemaster and fell in love with it, I can set it upon the coffee table and have a leisurely night watching TV and dropping powder chargers.[/QUOTE]

Back