Harrell's

catmasher

catmasher
I have a couple of these powder measures and was wondering if anyone has taked out the brass baffle, and if so did it do any good. Was doing some cleaning and took it out to clean the rotor.
Just wondering....

Folk's that don't have the baffles are adding them in but there's not much talk about taking them out. The idea of the baffle is an attempt to maintain the powder column weight presented to the drop cavity consistent.

Why are you cleaning the "rotor"?

When I bought my Harrells measure, I looked down in my Culver and there is no baffle. Since everything is based on a Culver, I took the baffle out, and it's still somewhere in the bottom of my tool box after maybe 10 years?

When I got mine, I tested it with and without, and left it out from that point forward. These days, I keep the powder level in the bottle in a given range, and that gives a similar effect. I think that one needs a certain volume below a baffle, and that the powder bottle system, while being convenient, does not lend itself to that. A friend, who picked up one of the smaller Harrell measures modified his baffle, by drilling and chamfering (both sides) a half dozen smaller holes ( 3/16 I think) around the center one. He says that he is getting good charge uniformity that way.

thanks, maybe I'll take on out and see how it measures up against the one with the baffle, I mostly use ball type powder so I feel that there wouldnt be too much difference.
thanks for the info.
cat

Wayne Shaw (culver measures)

Wayne, Homer put a bafflle in most of the measures, but a lot of the times people only send bottom (no tube) so no baffel. He used about 3/8" plexglass with about 1/2" hole in ctr and tappered from outside to ctr on both sides so you had good flow with powder in and when pouring out. (funnel effect) . owlshop

Well, I didn't know that, mine had nothing inside, but then again I bought it used from an older shooter.

Then I saw something from another older shooter who had a Culver, where the light plastic tube for the powder, was replaced with a piece of plastic that was made into a bottle adapter with a built-in tapered baffle (made by Homer). I thought that was slick, so I bought a piece of clear solid acrylic and made one for myself. One end fit the measure body, the other was internal threaded to fit the typical powder bottle, and a baffle tapered both sides. It actually magnifies the powder flowing inside.

Geez or maybe gees Francis and just when I was going to bring up the rheology of powder with things like spartial arrangements and interparticle forces.

Ken

Actually not so bad, what’s left of the white powder has turned black along with some green spots. :) Take Care.

Ken

Culver measure with baffles

I have an original Culver that has an aluminum baffle threaded into the measure with the original threaded plastic powder hopper on top. A couple of months ago I made up some extra baffles from aluminum flashing. I tried on baffle placed low, middle, & high in the hopper, and two baffles placed low & high in the hopper. This in in addition to the baffle on the body of the measure and with H4198 extreme and a 30BR load.

Bottom line: Nothing I did with the baffles helped the variability of the charges. I could get the extreme spred down to 0.2 g, and then one charge would blow that out to 0.4 to 0.5 g. Knocking the handle or the Lyman nocker increased the extreme spread of the charges.

Regards, Ron

Powder Measure Baffles

When I started reloading, I was using a 'borrowed' Belding Mull. Very accurate but slow. I went to a RCBS measure and added a Sinclair metering device, which I used for many years I did add a baffle to that. Don't know if it really helped, but did not hurt. And when I got tired of fellow shooters describing their loads in clicks, I got a Harrels. I seemed to shoot a little better, but weighing all loads one day in practice, with both measures, I noticed no difference in aggs. Perhaps the perceived value of the Harrels made me think it was the better measure, so that is what I am using today. It is definitely easier to us and make minor load changes. It has no baffle and I don't plan on adding one. However,I do plan to practice more when the weather settles down. That will help more than anything.

Good shooting

Geary Koglin
Grand Blanc, MI

Back