Harrells Premium Powder Measurer

wnroscoe

I just purchased one of Lynwood Harrells powder measurers, it's the premium model. I've been playing around with it for a couple of days now throwing 30.6grains of Varget for a 6br and 69 grains of H1000 for a 7/300wsm. Sometimes it throws dead on but often it throws .2 to .3 high or low. I've followed Lynnwoods instructions but cant get it to throw within .1 everytime. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
William

My Harrells throws Varget as well as any small kernel powder but it does vary .2 to .3 grains on H1000. That is simply because of the large and fat kernel size of H1000.

Your throws have to be consistent & identical, same speed, same intensity. Larger extruded powders tend to bridge grains, they don't pack consistently in the measure's chamber, & throw off the weights thrown. Some people tap twice on the upside to pack the powder.....

William ...

I just purchased one of Lynwood Harrells powder measurers, it's the premium model. I've been playing around with it for a couple of days now throwing 30.6grains of Varget for a 6br and 69 grains of H1000 for a 7/300wsm. Sometimes it throws dead on but often it throws .2 to .3 high or low. I've followed Lynnwoods instructions but cant get it to throw within .1 everytime. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated. Thanks.
William

Send it back and get a RCBS Charge Master 1500.

With small granule powders a good measure will reliably throw ±0.1 gr, assuming that the powder is uniform in density. I'm not convinced that all powders are completely uniform even with a lot from many thrown and weighed charges. Either that or I'm a lot more uncoordinated than even I think I am.

A lot of practice at throwing and weighing charges to develop good technique will only help. The best technique I've found is the one that Harrell's recommends, a slow fill stroke, a slow dump stroke, and no banging the handle on either end of the stroke. A slight pause at the end of the fill stroke doesn't hurt either IMHO.

Large granule powders, even short cut versions of 4350 or 4831, are more difficult to throw to very small variations. BUT, these powders are mostly used in cases that contain a lot more powder than a 6 PPC. If you can throw ±0.1 gr for a PPC, and ±0.2 or 0.3 gr for a case that holds 60 gr or more you've got about the same percent variation.

Something else to consider is that you're attempting to measure a non-uniform solid by volume which is difficult at best.

Send it back...

and get a Redding 3BR ad a Sinclair bottle adapter and long drop tube..you will NOT have the same problem...I've been down the same trail...Hold your mouth just right...stand on your tippy toes...move the handle very slowly and don't use long grain powder..:(
Just get a Redding...;)

Where's the evidence?

The evidence that proves your rifle will shoot more accurately with exact powder weight. Several folks have those "Chargemasters" and are NOT winning. Must be something else...

Logicaly speaking, if you ain't winning, why fool with something like a Chargemaster.

You might say..."Well, it can't hurt anything!"

Sure it can!!! The time and money spent seeking any level of perfection could better be spent looking for a rifle that shoots. You see, it's the many variables that give us hope that we will someday find the magic combination and our rifle will excel above all. Sadly, such hope is largely false.

And to those who would take exception.....Behold! I shall dispute with them and nullify their words.

Not really but I would want to.

When I got my Harrells, the first thing I did was take out the brass baffle. My Culver didn't have one, so I figured why not? Yes I know the baffle is supposed to maintain an even powder weight, but I've never seen a problem with the open measure. It may even help with the bigger powder sticks, but I have not tried to prove it.

When I got my Harrells, the first thing I did was take out the brass baffle. My Culver didn't have one, so I figured why not? Yes I know the baffle is supposed to maintain an even powder weight, but I've never seen a problem with the open measure. It may even help with the bigger powder sticks, but I have not tried to prove it.
Wayne brings up a good point. Any new measure, the bare metal surfaces will hang some powder. It generally takes about 3-4 pounds of powder to be cycled through the measure to coat the surfaces with some anti-static coating material from the powder granules.

Otherwise, I'll stick with my RCBS Chargemaster thank you.

Hi Bill. :)

Try dropping two half-weight charges and see if the consistency improves. Let us know what you find, okay? -Al

I find....

I have one of the original Harrell's. I find the best method for me is a steady up and down motion with no bumping. I also find that even though it may not make much sense, if I encounter a slight hang up when the measure "cuts" powder, it makes no difference in the weight. Practice a little with it using different methods and find the best one for you. What you are experiencing is common with all cavity powder measures, no matter what brand (yes I have a Redding BR3 that reacts the same way).

Good luck,
Virg

Thanks for the replies so far guys. Your experience and suggestions are very welcome. I received an email from Boyd Allen last night asking me to call, he's a very nice gentleman and offered his technique. I tried with and with out the baffle and the technique Boyd uses. He simply raises and lowers the handle four times staying inside the last 90 degrees as to fill the powder chamber evenly. He also removes the baffle.

Jerry,
I thought that with time the internals of the measurer would be coated with powder residue and help to "slick" things up a bit (highly technical term ;) ) helping it throw more consistently.

Wilber,
Thats exactly why I bought the Harrells Measurer, people are winning while using them. I dont shoot the short range, point blank game. I shoot a local score type match out to 420 yards and a 600 yard score match out of town. I know in the short range BR game, the ES and SD #'s mean squat. With powder being thrown that varies .2 to .3 though I have to wonder, how that will affect the ES & SD for me and my POI at the longer distances. I'll start shooting a 600 yard F-Class match next year and was just wanting to speed up my loading process with a Harrells.

Al,
I'll keep pluging along, it should get better with time and practice. I'll try the half charge thing and let you know. Thanks.

I'll keep pluging along, it should get better with time and practice. I'll try the half charge thing and let you know. Thanks.

Just thought of something else. I no longer own a Harrells but I still have a couple of Neil Jones conversions and some of the Reddings.On all of them I converted the handles to where they "park" with the cavity pointing up.

One of the things that make the volume type measures vary is that an exact consistent delay is not exhibited while the cavity is loading powder from the hopper. Try it. Try delaying 2 seconds while the powder is transferring from the hopper to the cavity, weigh 10 of those, then weigh 10 when you just move the handle up and then down without delaying at the top.

Even if you don't convert the drum's parking place, having a consistent time delay while the cavity is loading from the hopper will help repeatability. The amount of delay is not as important as the delays all being equal.......old Chemical Engineering trick!!

I have been - -

a doubter and Nay-sayer regarding the accuracy of powder measures in general. I finally did try Francis' method and found that the tap did make the charges more uniform, throw to throw. I now trust it enough to use the measure at the range when testing but, because I have the RCBS and time to make sure I have correct loads I weigh still. I have been wrong on this issue I now think.

I can remember seeing a friend of mine tapping twice at the top and twice at the bottom. I tried that and it didn't seem to deter the accuracy any. I think the important thing is to practice, like Francis says and try to tap the same every time.

Pete

Last edited:
Dusty ...

that's good until he goes to a 1 relay match without electricity:eek:

I don't rely on electricity at a range since I preload at home with my RCBS Charge Master. When the other guys are scurrying to clean their rifles AND reload, and in some cases driving up their anxiety level trying to get everything done in an allotted amount of time, I'm spending my time relaxing and watching wind flags. I don't believe that ANY powder measure, be it a Charge Master or a Harrells is winning anything. I've yet to see match results in the back of Precision Shooting magazine or the NBRSA newsletter that announced what measure was used, along with the other data. I would suggest, that the shooter who exercises the best gun handling and wind reading skills, is the one that's collecting the wood at the end of the day.

Just thought of something else. I no longer own a Harrells but I still have a couple of Neil Jones conversions and some of the Reddings.On all of them I converted the handles to where they "park" with the cavity pointing up.

One of the things that make the volume type measures vary is that an exact consistent delay is not exhibited while the cavity is loading powder from the hopper. Try it. Try delaying 2 seconds while the powder is transferring from the hopper to the cavity, weigh 10 of those, then weigh 10 when you just move the handle up and then down without delaying at the top.

Even if you don't convert the drum's parking place, having a consistent time delay while the cavity is loading from the hopper will help repeatability. The amount of delay is not as important as the delays all being equal.......old Chemical Engineering trick!!

I tried my Harrells both ways and I prefer it parked with the cavity up. It was a little more consistent for me. Plus it is fun to have everyone else confused as to why their identical powder measure works the other way. New powder measures do need a lot of powder through them before you try for accuracy, they seem to be full of static when they arrive.

I seem to get

I don't rely on electricity at a range since I preload at home with my RCBS Charge Master. When the other guys are scurrying to clean their rifles AND reload, and in some cases driving up their anxiety level trying to get everything done in an allotted amount of time, I'm spending my time relaxing and watching wind flags. I don't believe that ANY powder measure, be it a Charge Master or a Harrells is winning anything. I've yet to see match results in the back of Precision Shooting magazine or the NBRSA newsletter that announced what measure was used, along with the other data. I would suggest, that the shooter who exercises the best gun handling and wind reading skills, is the one that's collecting the wood at the end of the day.

My butt kicked on a regular basis by guys who load at the range with powder measures. I think you might want to re-consider your statements here. Assuming one has a rifle capable of winning, I believe the shooter with the best memory for the conditions has the edge. When one gets a case of CRS lto the degree I have had for years their chances are diminished somewhat.

I pre-load and weigh too but it remains that I don't win all the time.

Well, went to the range this morning for a test. I loaded 5 rounds as a standard. Charges for the 5 as a standard were thrown, weighed and correcting if nessecary to insure each round was loaded with 30.6 grains of Varget. I then threw 10 more cases without weighing or checking them.

I fired the 5 for standard first then two more five shot groups. The test was at 330 yards with a 5-6 mph light switching wind. No flags, only a ribbon at the gun and at 200 yards.

The standard shot a 1.75" group, triangle.

The next five shots had 1.5" of horizontal and .750" verticle

The last five shots were shot with me watching the wind the best I could, they shot in to a group that had .750" of horizontal and .500" verticle.

Group three was the best, better than the weighed standard.

I'll keep testing and report back but, powder charges that are dead nuts may not be the key here. Thanks again for your input.

William

Back