grizzly gunsmith lathe G0509G

what are the other make that got the same lathe but with other nr code
i can not buy the grizzly i europe but other similar must be possible
and what are the extra that are on the G0509G and not on the G0509 ?

What makes do you have to choose from?

I don't think there is much special about the Grizzly lathe, pretty much like the other China lathes.

Pete

outboard chuck on the headstock
not sure what else

The "pro version" does not have a threading dial, even though the sales brochure shows it, the sales rep I contacted confirmed that it didn't. This means you would need to keep the 1/2 nuts engaged from start to finish when threading metric or imperial.

I have the same machine you have linked to above, only with a different badge on it and 1m between centres, and have found it to be a very capable lathe. I got mine 15 years ago and I haven't had any problems during that time, it doesn't have the spider on the out board end of the spindle, but I added one and it doesn't have the torque wrench for the tailstock, which certainly hasn't been a problem.
It will cut metric and imperial threads without changing any gears, the only reason to change gears is for module & dp.
Wile a bit long through the headstock for short barrels, I think from memory 23" or so from the front of the 4 jaw to the end of the spindle (I would need to confirm that) I haven't had a problem doing shorter barrels and the shortest I did was 16 1/4". There are many threads on doing short barrels with long headstocks.

Another European machine seller to look at would be Optimum, I have one of their mills and the finish on it would be slightly better than the Knuth but it's also about 8 years younger. The lathes they sell are similar to the Knuth and possibly similar prices.

Ian

Back