Front rest advice

Chomondely3

I am upgrading my Caldwell “ The Rock” bench rest.
I will be shooting a 6.5 CM out to 600 yds off a concrete bench. The rifle will weigh about 13.5 lbs.
The stock will have a Varmint style fore end about 2 inches wide with a flat bottom.
I am not shooting competitively, so I have time to reposition the rifle. I am shooting for fun, shooting for small groups rather than score.
I am thinking about a Sinclair Heavy Varmint Rest.
My budget is about $500, not including bags.

Questions:
Do I need a windage adjustable top?
What other rests should I consider given my budget?
What bags do you recommend?
Is there a good article about setting up a rest and bags?

As you can see, I am new to the bench rest world, so thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice.

There are several options. You can do a search for Bald Eagle rifle rest, and look at those at Grizzly Industrial. You can also search Hart rifle rest, and Sinclair rifle rest. For the money I think that it would be hard to beat one of these.
https://www.sinclairintl.com/shooti...s/sinclair-heavy-varmint-rests-prod57001.aspx
I like a windage tops, and would not order a rest without one. I would suggest a rear bag by Protektor Model about suitable bags.

https://protektormodel.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

Hokayyyy...... opinion time.

600yds...

IF you've a gun that shoots you'll find that groups at 600yds are all about getting 5 into the same wind/bump/lift/boil/gremlin condition.

You procure a rifle that really CAN shoot 3/4" at 600yds and you'll learn the Butterfly Effect is real.......

There's about 9 people on the planet who when they talk about "reading the wind" at 600/1000 I lissen. IMO 99.9% of all people who think they can read the wind at 600 are either delusional one, or ........ they lie to their wife too.

I'm not one of them. I have 600yds off a 20ton bench IN MY YARD, and I can't read the wind.

SOOooooo......

I'm learning to shoot even faster, but still well.

I need weight and I NEED a windage top, me (well, want, really, lots)

I think you'll want heavy if you want to group at 600. One way is to scrounge scrap heaps for old hunka's of inch-thick flatstock. Drill some holes, weld some hannles. Make a heavy plate and screw your rest down to it. I set aside a Farley setup to do just that.

Basically, I'm with Boyd all the way, and your plan/choice is sound, just wanted to opine re weight

al

Out at Williamsport 1000 yard bench rest club, in addition to a really heavy custom rest made and sold by one of the members (a real beauty in polished steel, if your car has heavy enough springs to hall is) you see a lot of other rests, like the Grizzly Slingshot, mounted on thick heavy new bases. If you do get a slingshot (I started with one of those before getting my SEB NEO) I found the goose neck windage adjustment is more trouble than it is worth, but it can be disconnected and the wheel attached directly to the top of the rest and then it works great.

Bob

Back