For your enjoyment: Sir Charles shooting at 200 at the 2013 WBC (article with video)

Nice group

And by the way nice picture of the target taken by Larry Eliott thru the 50X March scope of Charles.

Stuart sorry

And by the way nice picture of the target taken by Larry Eliott thru the 50X March scope of Charles.

Must be my jet lag from last business trip I was probably thinking about all the March scopes that Larry Costa has, I owe 5 variables, (2) 50X and (1) 40X and my favourites are the 36-55 variables, again Stuart my apologies and I know that you also like the variables a lot, I leave mine at 55X and don't usually touch it. Carlos

One other interesting thing about the picture to me is the amo caddy on the joystick. I designed that concept and have been using it for 8 years non-stop. For the first 2 years people would just laugh or shake their heads, then David Reynolds, Jeff Graves and Buddy Ross started using them, a couple of years later there were a bunch in the Southeast.
They have now obviously made it to Texas (don't know how long Charles has been using it).
I told a lot of folks how much it helps. I did motion studies on it and it takes a lot of time off shooting a group.
Charles was always smooth and now with that piece his head stays still, he does not look for the next round and he keeps his focus on the flags and target. He does have great bench manners.
I would seriously recommend building one to all shooters that use a Farley type rest; it only took me a couple of hours to make mine.
I had told Audrey that I was going to write a couple of articles for the magazine on some of my toys.
I will have pictures and dimensions on all of them. Some will be fun to build...
Larry

Hi Larry

I certainly recall you running an "ammo caddy" on your Farley handle at the Austrian WBC in 2007. I will be interested to see your articles.

One question - do you ever have issues keeping track of your record shots if you need to go back to the sighter once you start on the record during a match? I guess its no different to me keeping 5 rounds separate on my towel by the rifle - you just need to top them up from somewhere if you shoot sighters? Or never go back to the sighter once you start your group. :):D:):D

I was amazed at how easy his rifle bolt opened and closed. My Rem 40X rimfire has to be held in the rest to keep from tipping. What is the big difference? Trying to learn something here. Wayne

Hi Fergus,
My caddy has 7 rounds which I fill. I shoot off the towel the fouler and maybe one more shot if I've Iossoed the barrel. When I decide all is well I have seven rounds to complete the group. I rarely shoot a sighter after I've started the group so having two sighters available in the caddy is plenty.
Using the caddy makes it easier to keep track of sighters. If you shoot a lot of sighters and have to reload, then it is easy to remember that.
Larry

Wayne,
Your question relates to the smoothness of Charles opening his bolt yet you have to fight your bolt opening.
This has to do in great part with the match between the sizing die and the chambering die. The sizing die has to sufficiently size the case or you will be fighting the bolt all the time. Of course his action has been worked on to be smooth too and Charles' technique with is right hand is great.

I also had the privledge of watching Charles shoot at the WBC, and I noted that his BAT action was a chrome moly version. I am told that these are a lot smoother. That would be advantageous, as the only criticism that I have of my own BAT DS is that the bolt needs constant lube to remain slick. It's good, but nothing like the one in the video. I have tried various potions, but have yet to uncover the magic formula!

Brendan Atkinson

I also had the privledge of watching Charles shoot at the WBC, and I noted that his BAT action was a chrome moly version. I am told that these are a lot smoother. That would be advantageous, as the only criticism that I have of my own BAT DS is that the bolt needs constant lube to remain slick. It's good, but nothing like the one in the video. I have tried various potions, but have yet to uncover the magic formula!

Brendan Atkinson[/QUOTE

A Custom FLS die and Benchrite Super Bolt Lube - CODE: 20-007-001 - Price: $6.00 and you might be surprised
:)

BENCHRITE Bolt lube

Brendan I have (2) BAT DS supplied by Dwight Scott a standard Stainless and one Chrome Moly with melonite treatment, the CM with the melonite is unquestionable the smoothees action I ever ever used BUT if you try Benchrite bolt lube (that I saw for the first time at the WBC 11 in Volmerange with Ratigan shooting next to me) you will be surprised/pleased with your BAT DS stainless.

Back