fliers

Rflshootr

I just started working with a 6mm 236 barrel. 1st time out I shot 2 groups in the low
.2's and 1 high .1, each group having one flier that opened the groups to around 1/2".
Where is the best place to start looking to solve this?

Fliers

I know what you're talking about. My problem was behind the trigger. - nhk

Savage 243 107MK.jpg

Loads, seating depth, primers, neck tension---- I don't have a clue!!!!

Groups

If I was shooting groups like that at 600/1000 yards, I'd be plenty happy. :D

I would too, but that was only 200m and I let one get away. I hate when that happens. (Couldn't have been me!) - nhk

I just started working with a 6mm 236 barrel. 1st time out I shot 2 groups in the low
.2's and 1 high .1, each group having one flier that opened the groups to around 1/2".
Where is the best place to start looking to solve this?
Where are the fliers? High? Low? Both? Off to one side or the other? Do you use wind flags? Etc. Pretty hard to diagnose on the internet, impossible without more information.

More info

Charles is right, more info would help, pictures? I wasn't doubting your shooting ability and was only joking at my own expense. Did you put the brass aside that were the fliers and try reloading only the ones that were in the group to see if that eliminated the problem? After looking at my brass I noticed one primer pocket in not centered, but hadn't thought to look at the range, so I don't know if that was actually a flier. - nhk

3 groups.......flier @ 10, 11 & 6 o'clock. Yes I had flags up. The last group was the best & the 6 oclock flier was the last shot. I may have wished that one in.
Next time out I will segregate the brass that caused a flier & take note on the next firing.
That is kind of my thought to the problem...but I thought I might learn something else to look at.

Last edited:
If you have spare parts, that's a great place to start. Scope, and esp. another barrel fitted to the action. Action problems can be the devil to track down, and another barrel would help. For example, this kind of shot pattern can be brought about by serious ignition issues, such as the striker rubbing against the shroud -- but not if barrel two has no problems.

Without spare parts, you're left with checking everything mechanical, including any protruding or bottomed out screws (scope bases, action bedding., etc.), barrel or trigger housing touching the stock, & on & on. Then -- or first -- change bullets & powder. The newer stuff may not shoot as small, but if the fliers disappear, you've a place to look further.

Etc. It's no fun, I've been there.

Back