First 600 & 1000 Yard Shooting Experience

M

michaelnel

Today my buddy and I went out to the Sacramento Valley Shooting Center and shot at the 600 yard and 1000 yard ranges for the first time. That was the most fun I have had shooting in the whole 40 years or so I have been shooting!

Mike and I shoot a lot, usually twice a week. We have been developing loads for our .308 and 6mm BR rifles at 100 and 300 yards, and finally decided to take the plunge.

The guys at the range were terrific. Very patient and very helpful, and they are truly a bunch of old pros (one of them shot a 3 1/2" five shot group at 1000 yards while we were working in the pits today). We got zeroed in at 600 first, and I shot only one five round group with the .308 and a couple with the 6mm BR. I don't recall the size of the groups, but they weren't bad.

Then we went and worked in the pits pulling and marking targets, that was a lot of fun too! After the 1000 yard guys were done, we went out to the 1000 yard benches and I shot my 6mm BR, and my buddy only shot his .308. He shot 12 and 13" five shot groups with the .308, and I shot mumble and 8" groups with the 6mm BR. I say mumble because I was so excited to be shooting at 1000 yards I plumb forgot what they said the first group was.

Anyway, for the very first time shooting at those ranges we did pretty well I think. There is a lot of improvement to be had, but we'll get that with more practice. The regular shooters there welcomed us into their community, and I can hardly wait for next Monday when I return to do it again.

Last edited by a moderator:
today my buddy and i went out to the sacramento valley shooting center and shot at the 600 yard and 1000 yard ranges for the first time. That was the most fun i have had shooting in the whole 40 years or so i have been shooting!

Mike and i shoot a lot, usually twice a week. We have been developing loads for our .308 and 6mm br rifles at 100 and 300 yards, and finally decided to take the plunge.

The guys at the range were terrific. Very patient and very helpful, and they are truly a bunch of old pros (one of them shot a 3 1/2" five shot group at 1000 yards while we were working in the pits today). We got zeroed in at 600 first, and i shot only one five round group with the .308 and a couple with the 6mm br. I don't recall the size of the groups, but they weren't bad.

Then we went and worked in the pits pulling and marking targets, that was a lot of fun too! After the 1000 yard guys were done, we went out to the 1000 yard benches and i shot my 6mm br, and my buddy only shot his .308. He shot 12 and 13" five shot groups with the .308, and i shot mumble and 8" groups with the 6mm br. I say mumble because i was so excited to be shooting at 1000 yards i plumb forgot what they said the first group was.

Anyway, for the very first time shooting at those ranges we did pretty well i think. There is a lot of improvement to be had, but we'll get that with more practice. The regular shooters there welcomed us into their community, and i can hardly wait for next monday when i return to do it again.

bravo!!!

Great to hear of your intro to long range shooting ,,,,Sac Valley is a premier shooting facility and frequented by world class shooters,,,you are among many competent shooters who will help with the details of making you a better shot,,,say Hi to Bob,,,,Roger

Well I am sure looking forward to Monday. Not going to take my .308 this time, just the 6mm BR. Ammo is loaded, I have gone over the rifle cleaning, checking and lubing everything. Hope I shoot better this time!

I also have a .338 Lapua Magnum on order. It will sure be interesting to bark off a few from that beast at 1000 yards. It's a little overkill for punching paper though. ;-)

Back