filling front bag

J

jd12

I just purchased a SEB 3" front bag for my rest i have heard people say they filled them with any of the following, sand, heavy sand, plastic media, walnut or corncob tumbling media. Is there any benefits to any of them and are there any to stay away from. thanks john

Avote for heavy sand

I use heavy sand and apart from the weight, I love it. The rear bag is HEAVY with it filled with heavy sand.

George

Heavy is good - until you have to travel. If flying to a match, you wind up paying for excess or overweight baggage.

I overheard some F-Class shooters in Pheonix this past weekend. One was looking at building a lightweight front rest from aluminum - just to avoid overweight baggage charges. He isn't the only one thinking that way either.

Consider using fills that don't readily absorb water. Or if they do, see how rapidly they can be dried out. Plastic sheeting over the rifle and rest can reduce moisture absorbtion, but nothing can prevent it entirely.

Last edited:
also be careful ...

that you don't go outside the rules if you are going to shoot in competition ... it seems safer to stick with sand / heavy sand ...... walnut, corncob and plastic don't seem to me to meet the definition of sand or grain .... but someone that understands this more than me may have a different answer ....

When I filled mine, I used........

children's ( They're now called "kids") washed "Play Sand". I cut the flange off a Bonanza .17 cal. funnel, chamfered & deburred it, & put the bag in a plastic dishpan half full of sand, which you can frequently get at a discount from building suppliers if the original bag's been broken. I filled the "ears" of the rabbit ear bag first, & packed it in tightly, as I knew that shortly it would settle & I'd have to re-pack; then packed the base. While filling the base & rasslin' the bag around, I put the "ear" fill tubes just in, but not all the way under the ears. When all was filled, & packed, I got out some spray silicone like you'd use for boot dressing, & gave the bag, the ears, & the upside & downside of the fillers a coat of dressing, then when it had dried, a second application, then tucked away the fillers using a popsicle stick to help it along & keep 'em flat & neat. Don't forget to put this on the underside of the bag, too, as sometimes you'll put the bag down, & there may be some barely noticeable dew before the sun's burnt it off the benchtop. I did the same for the top bag on the pedestal, but to compress the bag a bit & forestall settling, I held it by the filler & whacked it a few times smartly on its bottom & put more sand in, then repeated the 2-step water repellant application. Now the ears on the rear bag are fairly "grippable", & I may not have to add any more sand for quite some time, rather than two more times as I had to do w/my first bag fills. The bag on the pedestal is nice & firm, too. I found using the slender funnel was great, as you don't force the fillers open & distort them. Also, when the cavities start to get full, you can just fill the funnel, & start pushing the tube up & down repeatedly & this will pack the sand in the bags to the operator's taste, then you stop. Much simpler than the first bags I ever filled. And, sooner or later, you can add another application of silicone, and this'll keep the bag supple, and forestall the drying or water absorption of the leather somewhat. I imagine this works for the Cordura bags, too. Hope this helps you out.;)

thank you everyone for the input. I went shooting today and opened up a whole new set of questions for myself to think about. I am currently using sorted remington brass which has done ok for me at 400 to 600 yards shooting several .5 to .75 moa groups with h4831sc powder. today i chrono several 5 shot and 10 shot groups of my standard combo nice groups but fps spreads of 18 to 41 fps. I am trying this year to get my spreads to low teens so today i also tested same loads in lightly turned necks of remington brass sized with bushing neck die for spreads of 51 to 93 fps !!! I also shot some necked down 308 lapua neck turned same load with 25 fps spread . My big question is will different neck tensions have a bigger impact on groups or speed consistency?

Back