Factory chamber...is a bushing type full length re-sizing Die worthwild ?

matchman

Same goes for bullet seating die (looking at Redding Match set). I have standard FL dies and seater.. I'm wondering if there's a worthwild accuacry gain having a factory chamber. For ar-10 type rifle.
Thanks

Last edited:
yes...from a guy that owns and shots 2 ar10's....
now are you talking single shots or mag fed ?
mag fed, i doubt you will see a big improvement, but your brass may like the treatment....no bent necks.
in my ar10t from armalite the throat is so long that only ammo loaded at 2.96 will touch the lands( 2.830 is max for 7.62x51)

what ar10 do you have ??
if a short bbl'd chrome lined, naw.....
mike in co

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess mike wins since I only own and shoot one ar10

Good luck,

and please let us know results, that's what this board is all about.

al

al
it's a tie....one is the 308 win br gun,,,,,and yes its ammo gets special treatment....fired single.....
it really depends on what gun and what he is expecting.
mike in co
I guess mike wins since I only own and shoot one ar10

Good luck,

and please let us know results, that's what this board is all about.

al

I think that a bushing die can be helpful with a factory chamber, but you have to tinker with bushings to get one just small enough so that the expander just kisses the inside of the necks. With Redding bushing dies and their carbide expander which floats on the decapping stem the expander pretty much follows the hole. The last time I was out with my AR15 it produced two sub inch ten shot groups at 100 yd with an old blind guy operating it, and using LC brass. Not competitive BR accuracy, but I don't think that the FL sizer harmed accuracy much.

larry.....
6 ar 15's,( yes i sold one) 2 ar 10s...and i do not use an expander on any of the ammo......bushings..... from plinking 55 fmjbt to 75 hpbt match ammo in the 15's, 125/135/168/175 in the 10's......and 125's in the 7.62x39 ar/ak....

mike in co

Its a LMT MWS, Internet postings say its a sub MOA rifle with good factory amo all day. A good hand load has them at .75 to even .50 (as the internet goes= maby fired through key boards).
Im a benchrest shooter at a small club , did great in rimfire and going to persue centerfire with a true BR rig (not the LMT)
I just have this itch for a accurate Semi-auto .308 , My m1a match was a let down scoped off the Bench so back to Irons on that and I scoped the LMT.
I really have no intrest in single shot loading for a semi-auto I have a BR bolt rifle for that.
I opted for Laupa brass, sieria MK 175gr, CCI Br primers, varget.
Ive been pondering the die selection......I ended up choosing Forster Bench Rest 2-Die Set - Full Length Sizer and Straight Line Bench Rest Seater Dies , my thought was to have them open up the sizing die neck to have .003 neck tension (based on my chosen brass and bullet) and ditch the expander ball.
Any thoughts on more or less neck tension ? From what I gather I should not go under .002 if the rifle is self feeding.

matchman,
I know a very accomplished M1A gunsmith and competitor who told me that he did pretty much what you have described, and based on his results, I think that it is a very good idea. He ordered a small base die from RCBS with a neck ID that he worked out from measuring a particular lot of LC brass. He is a High Master. Back in the day, his son was the first to win High Civilian in the National Service Rifle Championship at Perry, as a junior. He did it with a rifle that his dad built.

ok...high power is not "precision" shooting. the 10 ring is 2 moa., the x is one moa.
soooooooooooooooo
tell us what you expect from this rifle ???
some reference points...my stock armalite ar10t 24" match bbl(not chrome lined)match trigger, scope, will shoot at 1/2 moa with its best group being a .338.
that is berger 175's in a 1/11.25 bbloff the bench and single loaded with an oal that requires single loading.
factory chambers are not target chambers and in 7.62x51 often have very long throats.....so while straight precision ammo helps if not loaded to avoid the long throat.....well its gonna be an uphill battle.

for mag fed ammo consider hornady secant profiles. i could get 135's to be at the lands from the mag.

mike in co

Mike,
My hope is to see a .5 group every now and then along with expecting a few 1.0
hope for an adverage of .75in

if a mag length round is not near the lands..that will be an up hill battle.
mike in co

Back