F T/R starter rifle.

Calfed

I recently glommed an FN SPR rifle at an estate auction. I'm planning use it as a "starter rifle" for precision tactical.

7gfRUOq.jpg

XG4Imyj.jpg

It arrived at my FFL last week and I started the 10 day "cooling off" period. I also ordered a scope and am planning on getting a Harris bipod.

Anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks

No on experience, but from http://www.snipercentral.com/fnh-special-police-rifle-spr-a3g-precision-bolt-rifle/ :

"FN is a part of a larger conglomerate known as FN Herstal (FNH) which actually owns FN, Browning and Winchester firearms, the latter being purchased after Winchester went bankrupt in 1989. So it was here that Hertsel was able to tap into their other business units and utilize resources they already had, mainly the Winchester model 70 action. FN then introduced the Patrol Bolt Rifle (PBR), which was geared more for the lower end of the price range and designed to be carried in a patrol cruiser. FN then introduced the Special Police Rifle (SPR) which aimed at the higher end rifle market, targeted directly at agencies looking for full time sniper rifles. Both of these rifle models were based on the Winchester model 70 action." (Emphasis mine.)

From the article, it looks like the rifle - with the right ammo - is a shooter.

No on experience, but from http://www.snipercentral.com/fnh-special-police-rifle-spr-a3g-precision-bolt-rifle/ :

"FN is a part of a larger conglomerate known as FN Herstal (FNH) which actually owns FN, Browning and Winchester firearms, the latter being purchased after Winchester went bankrupt in 1989. So it was here that Hertsel was able to tap into their other business units and utilize resources they already had, mainly the Winchester model 70 action. FN then introduced the Patrol Bolt Rifle (PBR), which was geared more for the lower end of the price range and designed to be carried in a patrol cruiser. FN then introduced the Special Police Rifle (SPR) which aimed at the higher end rifle market, targeted directly at agencies looking for full time sniper rifles. Both of these rifle models were based on the Winchester model 70 action." (Emphasis mine.)

From the article, it looks like the rifle - with the right ammo - is a shooter.

Thanks for the link, Asa.

I picked up the FN SPR from my FFL today, minutes after the 10 day "cooling off" period expired. It is every bit as nice as I remembered and looks very lightly used. I probably can't take any better pics than the full screen, high definition pics at the auction site...

http://cowanauctions.com/auctions/item.aspx?id=168847#

but did take a few at different angles.

tcz43Ph.jpg

P3uWcFT.jpg

I'm a little confused about the scope bases. I thought they were two piece affairs, but after looking at them, they almost look like they were originally a 1 piece base that someone cut the middle out of.

2UV4tpm.jpg

You can see lettering that appears to be cut off

H8Jy91M.jpg

QBMpULP.jpg

Anyone know what to make of that?

Also, I can't say for sure, but it also looks like there is some slpe in the bases.

HHypSZv.jpg

I've used over a dozen of those actions and they are very good. Lug contact was near 100%, maybe 1/3 of them had uneven/out of square receiver face that I would true up on the lathe, and check out the back of the bolt handle, some of them rub the receiver and give a false headspace measurement...fixed with 2 minutes of file work. If you want one of the original 20 MOA scope bases (one piece) let me know as I have a bag full of em, maybe 6 or so. The bases are steel, 8-40 screw, made by NEAR MNF and very good stuff with a recoil stop that comes 'close' to engaging the rear of the front ring. Should be a good shooting rifle with a chrome lined barrel that will last a good long time.

I've used over a dozen of those actions and they are very good. Lug contact was near 100%, maybe 1/3 of them had uneven/out of square receiver face that I would true up on the lathe, and check out the back of the bolt handle, some of them rub the receiver and give a false headspace measurement...fixed with 2 minutes of file work. If you want one of the original 20 MOA scope bases (one piece) let me know as I have a bag full of em, maybe 6 or so. The bases are steel, 8-40 screw, made by NEAR MNF and very good stuff with a recoil stop that comes 'close' to engaging the rear of the front ring. Should be a good shooting rifle with a chrome lined barrel that will last a good long time.

Good information, msalm.

I'd heard that the original FN SPR bases were Badger Ordnance. The Near mounts look pretty good, though.

Well, based of the 70 action, then the rear of the receiver is a little lower than the front of the receiver, thus the rear mount must be a little thicker to parallel the bore, this for a 0 minute scope mount.

For a 20 minute set of mounts, the rear would be taller, and there would be an obvious taper to both the front and rear mounts.

I tried a Near Mfg SPR mount and it didn't fit. The current SPR uses the Model 70 WSM scope base hole pattern and #8 screws. My rifle seems to use the model 70 SA hole patter and #6 screws. Main difference, in addition to the screws size is the spacing between the #2 and #3 holes, which is 3.5" on the newer SPR and 3.25" on mine.

I called Near and Richard told me he doesn't make a Winchester 70 SA base, so I called EGW...they confirmed that the hole spacing appears to be for a SA receiver and are shipping a 20 MOA mount out.

Good weather and free time finally coincided and I got to the range with my SPR. I didn't have much time and also had a few other rifles to zero. By the time I got this on target, I didn't have many FGMM rounds left.

175gr FGMM @ 100 yards. (4 shot group just under 1"). I'm encouraged and believe that I can do better with some handload development and practice.

nolfhjB.jpg

I like the looks of that rifle. I like Model 70's and have two F/tr and one prone match rifle (a 30/06) built on Model 70 actions. I think the FN actions are very good; probably better than any earlier Winchester actions. Regards, Bill

I like the looks of that rifle. I like Model 70's and have two F/tr and one prone match rifle (a 30/06) built on Model 70 actions. I think the FN actions are very good; probably better than any earlier Winchester actions. Regards, Bill

Thanks, Bill.

I need to get busy and work up a handload for it.

Over the past year I have been shooting and evaluating a .30-'06 load that another suggested. It's been my experience that FGMM is hard to beat, and this load appears to match up fairly well.

Win Brass and/or Hornady. CCI BR-2, 48.1gr of IMR-4064, and the SRA 168SMK loaded to 3.230" OAL. I use it in my Garand, and in several bolt guns; a later model M70 lightweight sporter, a Ruger 77 MKI sporter, a Ruger 77 MKI heavy barrel, and Sav Axis II. The bolt guns are scoped and run right around sub-1MOA at 200yd off bench (maybe not the Axis II, but it's still good enough to make a good deer rifle). I substitute the 165SGK for hunting and its equally accurate, and shoots very nearly to he same POI. The M70 won the local deer rifle bench event with the hunting version of the load this past Autumn.

The Garand is not scoped and without measuring, still warms my 70 y/o heart with this load.

Greg

Last edited:
Having "issues" with the SPR.

I bought a 20 MOA Winchester SA scope mount from EGW. I mounted the Bushnell Elite Tactical and sighted it in at 200 yards. In preparation for a 1000 yard clinic, I ran the scope up to the top of the elevation range...only 6 MILs of elevation left from my 200 yard zero.

I switched to a Vortex Viper scope and sighted it in at 200 yards--same deal. Only about 21 MOA of up elevation adjustment left from the 200 yard zero.

Both scopes have 60+ MOA adjustment range.

I called EGW and gave them the measurements from my scope base and they advised that it was right at spec. It should be a 20 MOA base.

I called FN and they suggested that I get a 40 MOA base.

I'm sending my 20 MOA base back to EGW and they will check it. If it is indeed a 20 MOA base, they will re machine it to 40 MOA.

Still, I'm wondering what is going on with this rifle.

Lay a straightedge on that base front to rear. When you start cutting apart angled bases and changing spacing you can have all kinds of issues.

Back