Extreme cold and accuracy node question.

D

DanSavage

Hi folks, I went to my first bench rest match on Sunday and had a load for my 6 br that shot really well in 30 degree weather, 1/4" or less.

Well it was 0 or less at the match and I couldn't get it to group worth a hoot. I agg. a .570 at 100 and won't even talk about the 200.

I was using Varget powder,, could the extreme cold have thrown me out of my node? It didn't seem to affect other's shooting 6ppc and I think thath they were pre loaded too.

Thanks in advance.

Could the extreme cold have thrown me out of my node?

The short answer is yes. 30 degrees is a big jump to try to hold tune on. And what about humidity? When I was younger I thought I could get away with pre-loading. Then in 2013 I got back into BR and learned otherwise. Now I always load at the range, paying attention to temperature and humidity (and I'm shooting LT-32....stuff that's supposed to be fairly stable)

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

OK thanks guy's I'm thinking some of the guys may have either shot early before the match and adjusted accordingly,, I didn't have that option due to travel time.

There was 2 guys that loaded in between relays,, but dang I don't think I will ever shoot in that cold of weather ever again! After 3 minutes I couldn't feel the cartridge's, and had and awful time just getting them into the action. LOL

After sighter's and 2 5 shot group's for record banging away as fast as I could the barrel was still cold!

No Idea on the humidity,, I learn something new every day.LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Could ya get the bolt open with one hand?
Ya. Not cold enough. Git down to -16°. Then ya got some cold.....And it takes 2 hands to open the bolt. Bat action and a Grizzly....
He's a secret. Varmint league. Sun. 1300. Ya shoot a blk and white copies of ground hogs, prairie dogs, crows.....
You are not supposed to know what the yardage is. Or the targets. Ya RIGHT. There are some cheaters out there....They would show up on Sat.
I always, like when the weather was different. Boy, did they bit*ch and complain....

last group match of the year. What ever the tune was...Unless real extreme. I use that through the winter....Once a month score match.
Sorta apples and oranges.....
Hard to judge performance, though. I am usually too busy running the match and watching safety things.....But, I don't do too bad.
6PPC and N133.
Winter has a lot of changes. So it don't really matter. Last match the loading guys were at the bottom. Pre-load at the top.....

Like Lowell used to say. Just shoot em......:)

Last edited:
Could ya get the bolt open with one hand?
Ya. Not cold enough. Git down to -16°. Then ya got some cold.....And it takes 2 hands to open the bolt. Bat action and a Grizzly....
He's a secret. Varmint league. Sun. 1300. Ya shoot a blk and white copies of ground hogs, prairie dogs, crows.....
You are not supposed to know what the yardage is. Or the targets. Ya RIGHT. There are some cheaters out there....They would show up on Sat.
I always, like when the weather was different. Boy, did they bit*ch and complain....

last group match of the year. What ever the tune was...Unless real extreme. I use that through the winter....Once a month score match.
Sorta apples and oranges.....
Hard to judge performance, though. I am usually too busy running the match and watching safety things.....But, I don't do too bad.
6PPC and N133.
Winter has a lot of changes. So it don't really matter. Last match the loading guys were at the bottom. Pre-load at the top.....

Like Lowell used to say. Just shoot em......:)

I figure I should have added an extra grain of powder knowing that it was going to be cold but I didn't:(

-16! Can't imagine the pain I would feel in my hands as they began to thaw.LOL

.....and then, there are tuners. That said, shooting in the cold can be tough. Not only due to the obvious effects on the shooter, but mirage can be just horrible at times.

I've found that my PPCs are pretty predictable in temperature ranges from about 30 to about 97 degrees. But outside of those bounds, the small incremental changes I normally make with either tuner or powder measure don't seem to have the same effect and I have to work to find an optimal tune. Lots of things stop working when it gets that cold (especially my brain). I've shot a rail match when it was below zero and lube on the delrin balls was causing the to top to chatter.

@Dan: if you're shooting a 6BR in 0-dregree weather and agging a .570 at your first BR match, you're doing just fine. There are a lot of factors in that score besides the tune on the rifle. New competitive situation, less than optimal conditions, a ticking clock, wind, etc. Competitive shooting games are much more mental than equipment-related and Benchrest is no different, in spite of the fact that you don't have to hold the rifle. A dozen more matches (or years) and you'll look back on that day and know what I mean. The goal for anybody's first shoot should be just to complete the course of fire safely and correctly without breaking any rules. Imagine an 8 second run in your first outing in top-fuel dragster when everyone else is running at 5 seconds. It isn't the car; it is everything. Experience, practice, and some mentorship will fix a lot of that.

Rod

The coldest I've ever shot was 9 degrees with a 6 BR. Groups were larger than usual....and my shivering had as much to do with that as the rifle or tune. Let's face it, we're human. You can't completely block out the cold.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com
-

Thanks for the encouraging words guy's,, I'm looking forward to warmer weather and better shooting!

Rod has a really good response. Safety and completing the course of fire.
Heck. The drive home might be the most dangerous part of your day. :cool:

My first rifle. My first winter. It had problems. Found out later that the firing pin would not release. Lee played with the trigger. problem went away. Next winter. More problems.
Turns out that the post for the firing pin block had a very small gall mark. Needed a magnifier to see it. spun the post. All good.
I had ordered a new trigger. It's still in the bag....

I have since taken apart all of my triggers. A couple times. There ain't much there. Most people are afraid to take them apart. Well, just flushing them with lighter fluid does not clean the insides. Where the sear is. It's blocked from a good cleaning. At the bottom is a knife edge. That's where the junk ends up. That gets bent it's done. A piece of N133 trapped there will bend this edge.
And at the last lookie loo. My triggers are still clean...

Last edited:
Back