Experience with Surplus Powders

SShooterZ

You guys have been great with information and knowledge so far so I thought I would throw another one out there.

Recently purchased a .308 which is a new caliber for me and was looking at some surplus powder options to save a few $$.

Bunch of options out there but it looks like most are for either pistol or something big like the .50BMG.

I currently load for .22 hornet, .222, .223, .22-250, .243 and .25-06. Powders on hand are BL-C(2), Varget, IMR-4350 and 'Lil Gun for the hornet.

I can find the following in military surplus equivalent but can't determine which would be a good fit for the .308

• Reloader 15
  • H335
  • IMR 4831

As always, thanks for your insight and advice. :)

Most of my shooting is at paper 100 - 200 yds so I will probably be loading lighter bullets. If/when I use it for hunting, I will load up or buy factory.

H335 is very close to winchester 748 Of the two other s i think the reloader 15 would be my choice for the 308.

The 222, 223, 22-250, 243, 25-06 and 308 can all be loaded with good accuracy with Varget. But, my preffered choice is the old standby 4895. Never was a fan of BLC(2), about the same with H335, burned up 8 lb of each of a supposed good lot but over a few thousand rounds in appropriate cartriages, it just didn't pan out on paper.

Hovis

I've honestly had great luck with Varget in .223 and .22-250.

Still trying to find the right .243 combo.

Didn't think Varget would be as effective with the slightly larger case capacity and bullet in the .308 but I am willing to give it a try.

I checked today and the stuff that is equivalent to RL15 isn't as great a deal as I thought.

Found some WC846 that people seem to have luck with for $99 / 8 lbs. I probably need to buy a couple jugs though to offset the hazmat fees.

Just want to make sure I'm not wasting my $$$ on something that has had A) limited success and B) is limited to just one caliber.

Thanks again for the insight!

The 846 is a pretty good powder. You can load it just like BLC2. It work fairly well in the 308. Some high power shooters in our club use a lot of it. My favorite accuracy loads are with IMR 4895 in the 308. Its a very flexable powder. Reloader 15 is very good also. Still from a flexability stand point i like the IMR 4895. It works well right from the 222 to the 30.06

Last edited:
Lots of Palma shooters use Varget in 308 with 155s. It gives very high velocity and outstanding accuracy in that application. Re15 is popular too. 846 is usually considered more for hunting or less demanding applications in the 308. Try it, your gun may very much like it.

Back