Eley chamber

TonyH which chamber, ref. Big Red thread 1/22/21, do you prefer to use?

I've tried many, but the one I'm currently using is the Calfee reamer. It is .225 straight sided, with a 2 degree leade.

This one is from Pacific tool. It is a spiral cut cobalt reamer and uses pilots.

Very happy with it, and I doubt I'll ever need another.

I'll give you a tip.

When setting up your chamber for engraving depth use the lot number ammo you plan to shoot, and use at least 10 rounds to get an average.

Don't just stick one round in and measure from it. Take the average.

How much engraving you use is up to you.

I don't have a set depth but I do use a formula based on bore size.

I will not give the formula because what works for me may not work for others.

When you run out of that lot number ammo you will have to test to find another. Hopefully you will find one similar to the one you had, or maybe you will get lucky and find one that works even better.

TKH

Last edited:
Tony would the nevius reamer (lapua chamber) work for Eley?

I have no experience with the Nevius reamer. But if Nevius says it is for Lapua I would use it with Lapua.

The Calfee reamer I use seems to shoot both Eley and Lapua equally as well.

TKH

How Much

I've tried many, but the one I'm currently using is the Calfee reamer. It is .225 straight sided, with a 2 degree leade.

This one is from Pacific tool. It is a spiral cut cobalt reamer and uses pilots.

Very happy with it, and I doubt I'll ever need another.

I'll give you a tip.

When setting up your chamber for engraving depth use the lot number ammo you plan to shoot, and use at least 10 rounds to get an average.

Don't just stick one round in and measure from it. Take the average.

How much engraving you use is up to you.

I don't have a set depth but I do use a formula based on bore size.

I will not give the formula because what works for me may not work for others.

When you run out of that lot number ammo you will have to test to find another. Hopefully you will find one similar to the one you had, or maybe you will get lucky and find one that works even better.

TKH

Does the methodology you have developed always succeed in matching the new barrel to the chosen ammo? Or more often than not are you having to lot test for the new barrel?

Does the methodology you have developed always succeed in matching the new barrel to the chosen ammo? Or more often than not are you having to lot test for the new barrel?

I can't take credit for developing the methodology. I stole it by synthesizing posts from Bill Calfee.

I've used this method on about 10-12 barrels which may not be enough to call it settled science, but I do believe in it.

When I run out of the lot number the barrel was chambered to shoot, finding other lot numbers that work as well has always been a problem for me.

I find more problems finding good ammo lot numbers than finding good barrels.

TKH

Last edited:
Back