Electronic targets:

Pete Wass

I watch a lad on YouTube who stated the other day he didn't like F class as much now that ranges are going to electronic targets and scoring systems. So I am wondering if the other shooting games are looking into electronic targets, say for Score and Group shooting? I assume they are pricey but haven't put any effort into finding out.

Pete

I watch a lad on YouTube who stated the other day he didn't like F class as much now that ranges are going to electronic targets and scoring systems. So I am wondering if the other shooting games are looking into electronic targets, say for Score and Group shooting? I assume they are pricey but haven't put any effort into finding out.

Pete

I don't see the problem. It might not be perfect but it'll have fewer mistakes than a human being and we can still protest a score if need be. As you know, probably, ARA has been doing electronic scoring at bigger matches for several years.

Yes, I have seen that system

I don't see the problem. It might not be perfect but it'll have fewer mistakes than a human being and we can still protest a score if need be. As you know, probably, ARA has been doing electronic scoring at bigger matches for several years.

I know there are existing systems. A friend directed me to a site where one could watch the shots of Position shooters, shot by shot so it's out there. Many years ago now I shot in the big Chicken Barn and the targets were scored by a scanner. I think I still have those target cards and the accompanying photocopy of the scored image around somewhere. I guess where I'm going here is to have images of target cards to shoot at that would show up on a screen and the shots recorded where they struck on that imaginary image or something to that effect.

Pete

Last edited:
Manual (targets) Ballots

Pete

I am only for manual (targets) ballots!!!

There is a current agenda item to be discussed during this year's NBRSA nationals to allow electronic backers to verify shots fired on the record target. There is a description and a few photos in the August issue of Precision Rifleman.

There is a current agenda item to be discussed during this year's NBRSA nationals to allow electronic backers to verify shots fired on the record target. There is a description and a few photos in the August issue of Precision Rifleman.

Yes...page 4 of the latest issue. -Al

The agenda item was submitted by Dan Lutke who is the match director for our club Sloughhouse Benchrest Shooters. We have been using the Shotmarker system as electronic backers for all our group matches this year.
Pete,
If you scroll down about a page or so you will find a complete rundown on what we have been doing.
Regards,
Greg

As for group shooting, if I am not mistaken Harley Baker had worked on 1-2 electronic systems a few years ago but it proved very cost prohibitive in particular for larger venues.

Last edited:
As for group shooting, if I am not mistaken Harley Baker had worked on 1-2 electronic systems a few years ago but it proved very cost prohibitive in particular for larger venues.

Tim,

If I am not mistaking that was to replace the type of moving backers that we use now.

I know there are existing systems. A friend directed me to a site where one could watch the shots of Position shooters, shot by shot so it's out there. Many years ago now I shot in the big Chicken Barn and the targets were scored by a scanner. I think I still have those target cards and the accompanying photocopy of the scored image around somewhere. I guess where I'm going here is to have images of target cards to shoot at that would show up on a screen and the shots recorded where they struck on that imaginary image or something to that effect.

Pete

Not nearly accurate enough for benchrest. Up to 1/4 inch error with some wind blowing at 1000yds. Shotmarker is the most popular. Can of worms with Fclass shooters. Keeps an older person out of the pits pulling targets in the summer down south.

Last edited:
"LoRa 900mhz RF to the firing line (433mhz in Europe)."

I really doubt he means "Milli Hertz" as he has written.
0.9 Hz.
MHz (Mega, millions) is most likely.
900 Million Hz (cycles) per second.
Such a simple error tends to call into question all of his other specifications.

"LoRa 900mhz RF to the firing line (433mhz in Europe)."

I really doubt he means "Milli Hertz" as he has written.
0.9 Hz.
MHz (Mega, millions) is most likely.
900 Million Hz (cycles) per second.
Such a simple error tends to call into question all of his other specifications.

Like saying "..Hz (cycles) per second"?

Since Hz are already cycles per second, you have said "cycles per second per second..." which I suppose would be a measure of acceleration of frequency...

Probably a more egregious error than accidentally typing 'm' rather than 'M', particularly given the absolutely zero chance that Ultra Low Frequency is being used in this context.

GsT

I thought I seen they were only going to use them to replace moving backers? If so it doesn't have to be accurate , it just needs to record the amount of shots on target as they are still scoring the card manually.

I think they can be great for fclass in the respect it helps keep older shooters and shooters with disabilities that can't handle pulling targets anymore on the range and shooting. Not saying they are perfect but they have pluses.

I think they can be great for fclass in the respect...
Depending on the type of target used, it is legal to use electronic targets for NRA highpower. Let us not forget that F-Class is part of highpower, not an independent discipline.

Back