Drop port for "medium size" rounds?

Hello,

Posted this on another forum but didn't get an answer, yet..... maybe my question was just strange!:D

Just would like to know if anyones have tried/ used this (= drop port action/configuration for medium size round) before?

I know it works flawlessly with PPC/BR/Dasher rounds, but wondering if it would work just fine (or do-able?) for medium size rounds such as .308/.284win/ 7SAUM or WSM....?

I am a right handed, thinking about RB, LP, drop port + cone bolt (or Rem style bolt head) with sako extractor @ 6 o'clock.

For an F-Class or Light gun BR.

Any input/thoughts will be much appreciated!

Thanks,
seb.

Seb, the port in the bottom would have to be long and wide enough to allow the case mouth to clear the forward edge of the port with the bolt retracted, and wide enough for the case to fall through. Basically, the drop port would be very near the length and a tad larger in diameter than the case. It may be possible to convert a long action of some sort to do it, but I can't image a BR length action supporting the idea.--Mike

I was thinking of opening up my Defiance drop port made for Dasher cases to handle 6.5 x 47 Lapua cases I don't think that would would be a problem.

It might not have to be that long. Given the weight of the base of the larger case, you might get away shorter if the case will tip over and drop. I'd try and play with a piece of metal, machine a port, and once you have the width, play with the length to see what results in enough for a case to drop consistently.

The drop port is for short fat cases. If you make it longer, a loaded round may tip back end first and jam a lot of the time.

I would like to thank you gentlemen for the replies. Much appreciated!

I will try some experiments when I have time.
Thinking to make a small piece of "follower" that will automatically open when the bolt is fully drawn back but it must be automatically close when/after I put a round via the loading port..... but still don't know if it can work as expected, or worth the effort.

seb.

Hi Wilbur, I tried to reply this thread for twice before my "testing" post and received the note "Thank you for posting,........." but they didn't show.
Also tried to reply yours this morning, same thing happens.
Don't know why....?
seb.

Back