Does Krieger Still Cryogenic Treat Their Barrels

Jackie they cyro once now. They use to cyro 2 times. They felt there was no advantage to doing it 2 times. Just added more time and cost to do it twice.

John

Jackie they cyro once now. They use to cyro 2 times. They felt there was no advantage to doing it 2 times. Just added more time and cost to do it twice.

John

That’s good to know. If they had ceased, I was going to send the four new blanks I got off to be Cryoed.

Why? They know it helps a little with machining, but?
Check first as most cryo places do not have the best facilities to do it.
https://ctpcryogenics.com/
They do excellent cryo, but they know more than the barrel cryo guys.

Butch, I went to the site you posted and it made me think about liquid helium. My office at the Superconducting Super Collider in Waxahachie Tx was in the Magnet Test Laboratory when the project was shut down. Just a few weeks before the shutdown we had completed the Acceptance Test Plan for the facility and were just working off punch list items. We had built 10 test stands to test the 55 foot magnets. The plan was to test 10% of the production magnets. The facility used liquid nitrogen and liquid helium to cool the magnets to their operating temperature of -450 for testing. Because liquid gasses are expensive we had to design and build a system to recover and re-liquefy the gasses after they ran through the magnets. The lab was a maze of stainless steel vacuum jacketed piping. Really amazing. Could of cryoed a bunch of barrels there. Wonder whatever happened to all that equipment?

I hope it's not a scam this time.

It does something.

Plenty of experienced machinists that actually turn dials think so.

The bigger problem is defining what it does in a quantifiable way.

"Tool life is longer" is a sort of fuzzy thing.
At what cuts and feeds?
All?
Some?
Heavy?
Light?
What quality of material?

There are so many variable in this kind of stuff it gets very hard to
establish a way to measure and quantify it.

Deciding when to switch from HSS tooling to Carbide tooling in Aluminum is a real PITA.
Carbide is never as 'sharp' as quality HSS.
One of the reasons has long been though to be the grain size in carbide.
How smooth a cut do you want?
How fast?
How many cuts (and the amount of metal removed) are you going to make in a production lot?

It does something.

Plenty of experienced machinists that actually turn dials think so.

The bigger problem is defining what it does in a quantifiable way.

"Tool life is longer" is a sort of fuzzy thing.
At what cuts and feeds?
All?
Some?
Heavy?
Light?
What quality of material?

There are so many variable in this kind of stuff it gets very hard to
establish a way to measure and quantify it.

Deciding when to switch from HSS tooling to Carbide tooling in Aluminum is a real PITA.
Carbide is never as 'sharp' as quality HSS.
One of the reasons has long been though to be the grain size in carbide.
How smooth a cut do you want?
How fast?
How many cuts (and the amount of metal removed) are you going to make in a production lot?

Personally, I'm not interested in tool life. I want a barrel that shoots. If it costs extra for tooling, so be it.

I hope my gunsmith Hacksaw doesn't see this.

Later
Dave

Some time ago Doug Shilen put in his two cents on this subject. Like Butch,he claimed it helped in machinability an that was about it! I use high speed steel and I think I notice a small difference compared to other 416 barrels. Maybe just my imagination!

Personally, I'm not interested in tool life. I want a barrel that shoots. If it costs extra for tooling, so be it.

If you do ANY precision machining you better be interested in tool life.

Or do you want to replace a cutting tool after every pass?

We actually encountered this problem a couple time.
One pass to cut threads and the tool edge was shot.

We had to switch to a very precision grinding system with diamond abrasive on shaped steel wheels.
It was on of those rare 'cost is not an issue' and 'just make it work.

We only needed to produce about 10 pieces.
And most of them ended up as spares.

We used to do a lot of things once and only made one item.

If a barrel shoots lights out and the tooling cost an extra $100 bucks why would you worry? Would you rather spend extra $$ for more bbls and less for tooling? Theoretically speaking.

If you do ANY precision machining you better be interested in tool life.

Or do you want to replace a cutting tool after every pass?

We actually encountered this problem a couple time.
One pass to cut threads and the tool edge was shot.

We had to switch to a very precision grinding system with diamond abrasive on shaped steel wheels.
It was on of those rare 'cost is not an issue' and 'just make it work.

We only needed to produce about 10 pieces.
And most of them ended up as spares.

We used to do a lot of things once and only made one item.

brickeyee,

Curious...what was the material you were threading?

Justin

Presumably that $100 is spread out over a number of barrels.

Say for instance you buy 10 barrels over a few years. 3 of those aren't competitive, and 3 shoot really well. The other 4 are just so- so.

What are the 3 really good ones worth to you after you figure in consumables trying to make all 10 shoot plus basically junking 3 after purchase price and chambering? Your time not included.

Say for instance you buy 10 barrels over a few years. 3 of those aren't competitive, and 3 shoot really well. The other 4 are just so- so.

What are the 3 really good ones worth to you after you figure in consumables trying to make all 10 shoot plus basically junking 3 after purchase price and chambering? Your time not included.

The $100 would be peanuts. The funny thing is that ratio of 3 good, 3 junk and 4 okay is almost exactly my experience. Was thinking more like 2 good one's and 5 okay's, the funny thing about the okay barrels is they sometimes will go 400 rounds or so during their life shooting well then the rest is ho-hum.

Dick Grosbier

when he was alive, used to sell his used (as in no longer BR competitive) barrels on varmint hunting sites. The buyer would get a barrel used up for BR but better than most hunting rifle factory ones.

But will a $100 tooling surcharge guarantee you will receive a "hummer" barrel? Can most barrel makers make a "hummer" barrel at will?

But will a $100 tooling surcharge guarantee you will receive a "hummer" barrel? Can most barrel makers make a "hummer" barrel at will?

I did not say a surcharge will make a Hummer bbl. You implied that.

No to your second question. If they could what would you pay? Or anyone else, for that matter.

Back