Do you hold the toggle when shooting

Markhor

The question is for coaxial rest shooters, does anyone NOT keep griping the toggle when pulling the trigger. I see most folks keep holding the toggle & am curious if someone actually releases it when firing & can a Farley or a NEO rest stay still when the rifle recoils. You would think that gripping the toggle & flinching as the shot goes off will not be a good thing. How do folks that hold the toggle manage the flinch?

Thanks,
Ed

If you think about it, bag squeezers, and for that matter anyone whose shooting style involves contact with the rifle have the same issue, and there are a number in the hall of fame. I do notice that Farley shooters tend to have their wrist grounded on the benchtop or a bag. Short answer, don't flinch.

The question is for coaxial rest shooters, does anyone NOT keep griping the toggle when pulling the trigger. I see most folks keep holding the toggle & am curious if someone actually releases it when firing & can a Farley or a NEO rest stay still when the rifle recoils. You would think that gripping the toggle & flinching as the shot goes off will not be a good thing. How do folks that hold the toggle manage the flinch?

Thanks,
Ed

It seems glib, but the answer is "don't flinch" if you are going to hold during the shot. And I spent (spend) a lot of time training that out of myself. I hold the knob in my thumb and forefinger, with my fist resting on the ground. Early on with a joystick rest, I tried lots of different holds (including letting go of the joystick) and it just sort of evolved over lots and lots of shots.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are right Mr. Chris that is a glib answer :).

Volumns could and should be written on flinch, yet the subject never seems to come up nearly enough. It seems to be the "macho" thing to say " Oh me I'm not flinch sensitive" and those words usually come from the guy shooting the 300 wm or the .458 elephant slayer. Most shooters do have a flinch of some sort, unless they use a regular type of flinch control. No matter what they say.

I am a big man, and never considered flinch much at all. Me I'm just to damn tough to flinch I would say. That ended one day for me at a ATA trap shoot. I was watching a buddy shoot his round of handicap. This guy was one of the top shooters in the country in that discipline. He was clean through his first three relays or 75 shots. On his last set he was on shot 17 or 18 ( still clean) when he had a bad primer or just a dud, when that 12 ga didn't go bang I thought he was going to drop the shotgun he flinched so bad.

At this time I was only dappling in ATA Trap, and shot mostly BPCRS or Black Powder Cartridge Rifle Silhouette. I shot a 45-90 and a 610 grain custom bullet designed around the old Postell bullet. This sport is shot mostly prone, off of cross sticks and no rear support other than your hand. I shot a lot of practice and thought I would add some form of flinch awareness to my practice shooting.

I found out a lot not only about flinching but follow thru and just hard hard it is to kill a primer. I did in fact finally kill some primers were they would not go bang. Shells were loaded in the regular way with some cases ( usually 5 or 6 per 100) getting the dead primers. I also found out you must fool yourself about which shell is live and those that are not. if I knew that the next shell was a dud I would automatically correct the flinch, if I was completely unaware which was which I got a different result. When you drop the hammer on one of those duds, (IF) you have a flinch you will sure know it right then and there.

It is a simple thing to correct a flinch when using this technique. Once you become aware that it is there stopping it is really no big thing, it is that awareness that can be illusive. In time I bought 10 thousand blank primer cups from Winchester and that solved the killing primer thing for awhile, today I have used all of those cups and am back to killing the damn things. And that is not easy not at all. The results from this are well worth the effort at least for me they are.

Roland

Corrective steps

Volumns could and should be written on flinch, yet the subject never seems to come up nearly enough. It seems to be the "macho" thing to say " Oh me I'm not flinch sensitive" and those words usually come from the guy shooting the 300 wm or the .458 elephant slayer. Most shooters do have a flinch of some sort, unless they use a regular type of flinch control. No matter what they say.

I am a big man, and never considered flinch much at all. Me I'm just to damn tough to flinch I would say. That ended one day for me at a ATA trap shoot. I was watching a buddy shoot his round of handicap. This guy was one of the top shooters in the country in that discipline. He was clean through his first three relays or 75 shots. On his last set he was on shot 17 or 18 ( still clean) when he had a bad primer or just a dud, when that 12 ga didn't go bang I thought he was going to drop the shotgun he flinched so bad.

At this time I was only dappling in ATA Trap, and shot mostly BPCRS or Black Powder Cartridge Rifle Silhouette. I shot a 45-90 and a 610 grain custom bullet designed around the old Postell bullet. This sport is shot mostly prone, off of cross sticks and no rear support other than your hand. I shot a lot of practice and thought I would add some form of flinch awareness to my practice shooting.

I found out a lot not only about flinching but follow thru and just hard hard it is to kill a primer. I did in fact finally kill some primers were they would not go bang. Shells were loaded in the regular way with some cases ( usually 5 or 6 per 100) getting the dead primers. I also found out you must fool yourself about which shell is live and those that are not. if I knew that the next shell was a dud I would automatically correct the flinch, if I was completely unaware which was which I got a different result. When you drop the hammer on one of those duds, (IF) you have a flinch you will sure know it right then and there.

It is a simple thing to correct a flinch when using this technique. Once you become aware that it is there stopping it is really no big thing, it is that awareness that can be illusive. In time I bought 10 thousand blank primer cups from Winchester and that solved the killing primer thing for awhile, today I have used all of those cups and am back to killing the damn things. And that is not easy not at all. The results from this are well worth the effort at least for me they are.

Roland

Hombre,

What steps do you take to correct the flinch.

Shinny,

For me personally this was the easy part. I didn't have very much of a flinch, and it was not an all of the time thing. Once I became aware of it I was able to correct just by concentrating on the shot, it showed me that I need to be fully aware if what is happening with me, the set-up, and the rifle right at the moment of trigger break. The big advantage that I walked away from this was the Follow Thru. At the time I was shooting Silhouette, which is a interactive sport, BPCRS was shot with open sights thus adding to the problem of follow thru. It is very easy to become too quick at lifting your head off of the stock to watch the animal fall. This simple trick will make you aware, that awareness will correct the problem if we as shooters just listen.

Roland

Roland

Which is exactly why I don't shoot larger caliber rifles in my discipline (300WSM for example). I know my limitations. I'm a guaranteed flinch on any caliber larger than 7MM (until recently, it was anything larger than 6.5 - it took hundreds of rounds for me to train it out of myself on 7MM). And I know exactly the guy you are talking about - they're a dime a dozen on range ninja day(s).

Roland

I perty much agree with all of this LOL!!! Especially the part about killing primers, BTDT :)

I practise with several rifles and deliberately have different trigger pulls with one set even as high as about an 8 pound trigger pull . I find this really helps to keep me honest.

Question

When you set your Farley front rest for what poundage do you use?
Or do you set it by feel? Tight so it won't move at all, or loose as to be able to adjust easily?
Looking for a little input.
Centerfire

Back