Current Evaluations of 22 PPC and 22 BR Brass

South_Pender

What's the current consensus (if there is one) regarding the best quality brass for 22 PPC USA (not using 220 Russian brass) and 22 BR? I read somewhere that Sako's brass is less desirable than Norma's. What are you guys using these days?

Everybody i know using a 22ppc uses the superior lapua brass. Not even sure if you can still get sako brass

Everybody i know using a 22ppc uses the superior lapua brass. Not even sure if you can still get sako brass
Please excuse my ignorance about this, but would this be 220 Russian Lapua brass? The cases I got with the rifle (years ago) were Norma 22 PPC. It appears that the Lapua brass is superior. What steps are needed to form 220 Russian cases into 22 PPC cases? Do you just run it through a 22 PPC full-length resizing die? Is fireforming needed?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Yes just bump it back until it chambers correctly thats if it doesnt need neck turning, then fireform. All this is only if its not a short 22ppc like 99.8% were. If you did happen to find norma or sako brass youd still be better off going thru the trouble to form them from 220 russian lapua brass

Yes just bump it back until it chambers correctly thats if it doesnt need neck turning, then fireform. All this is only if its not a short 22ppc like 99.8% were. If you did happen to find norma or sako brass youd still be better off going thru the trouble to form them from 220 russian lapua brass
Thanks, Dusty. My rifle has a .2465" neck, so I suspect I'd have to neck-turn. When would I do that? After running the 220 Russian brass through a 22 PPC full-length resizing die? Would that be precise enough with respect to neck length? Or would the fireforming change the length of the neck?

The standard 22 PPC that everyone shot was 0.100" shorter, right? And was that 0.100" a combination of the shoulder being pushed back and some neck shortening? Or was it the standard neck length with the body reduced by a 1/10"?

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Maybe you could talk to Ron Hoen. He makes brass and might end the confusion just to get you started. I had a local guy that makes a lot of different brass cases make mine and it was just a few dollars more than I could buy the brass for. He has a gunsmiths account at a few different places and gets a good discount when he buys a bunch of cases. Then he sold me some fire form bullets from Hornady for $10 that he got at the gun show. I was shooting in just a little while.

Back