Cordura or Leather?

skeetlee

Just curious to hear the different opinions or fact base thoughts concerning Cordura Vs Leather for rear bag ears. Whats your thoughts?
I am having hard time getting My 600 yard Leonard stock to slide properly in my current set up. I dont want to use stock tape if i dont have to. My front bag is a Protektor cordura 3" and my rear bag is a Protektor Cordura bag. I have zero problems like this with any of my other stocks in this set up. I realize this 600 yard Leonard rig is heavy, but there has to be something i can do with out using tape. All my other Leonard stock slide very well in this set up but then again they are 10.5 pound rifles. I am going to try a Protektor bunny ear rear bag and see if the shorter ears help some. The rifle seems to slide just right in the front bag but when i sit it down in the rear it is stiff! I will figure this out for sure, but it made me wonder what you fellas think of Cordura VS Leather. thanks Lee

I have some fabric coming a good friend told me about. I am also going to give that a try. thanks Lee

A friend of mine had a set made up using pig skin. They are quite slick with just powder. They were made back in the 60's, and are still in good shape.

The tape is an eyesore but that Teflon stuff sure is slick. Once applied I don't have to fiddle around with it.
Larry

I have one of the ones made with super cloth. Fairly slick but it has a wrinkle sewn into it though, I dont know if that has affected it or not.
I have 2 cow hides and some cordura to work with and will probably try to make one this winter for myself.

I have been using the dryer sheets now for 2 years and I do think they are great.
I bought the teflon tape BROWN!?!?!?!@?@?@ but have not had the heart to put it on the stock yet since the dryer sheets slide so well.

I have played around with diferent things, and I ended up finding that leather works best for me. After reading Mike Ratigans book when it first came out I switched back to a 13 protektor bag witha skip otto donut, and I have to say it is the best thing I have found. I have used both types of stock tape, clear and teflon brown, and found that they made little diference but added weight to the gun. I just never had good luck with cordura. I did find that wraping felt over the bags worked great, but it only lasted a short time before needing replaced. What I did find is powdered carnuba wax does wonders. I bought a bottle of it from a member of this site or another, and it is the bomb! He said that it was food grade carnuba wax. All I know is this stuff is slick.

I have Cordura Bunny ears on my Haydon Hump. I use Boron Nitride rubbed into the Cordura, & Dave Dohrman's Teflon Tape on my stock. Those two materials applied makes my gun slide smoothly & with no catch, or drag, during recoil.....

I have played around with diferent things, and I ended up finding that leather works best for me. After reading Mike Ratigans book when it first came out I switched back to a 13 protektor bag witha skip otto donut, and I have to say it is the best thing I have found. I have used both types of stock tape, clear and teflon brown, and found that they made little diference but added weight to the gun. I just never had good luck with cordura. I did find that wraping felt over the bags worked great, but it only lasted a short time before needing replaced. What I did find is powdered carnuba wax does wonders. I bought a bottle of it from a member of this site or another, and it is the bomb! He said that it was food grade carnuba wax. All I know is this stuff is slick.

You want real slick, try the powdered carnuba wax on cordura bags.
Jerry

Back