Cleaning Rods

Dave S

NRA Benefactor Member
I am at the point that I m going to buy two new 44" cleaning rods and would like a little input from other shooters. I have a Lucas Bore Guide and I don't know whether to purchase a Dewey Coated Cleaning Rod or a Dewey Stainless Steel Cleaning Rod.

What are your feelings on which one I should buy, or maybe you have a better suggestion..

Thanks..

Dave

You have to contact Mr Phillips at Ivy Rods They are the best. He will help you get the best rod for what you are working with.
denny@ivyrods.com

Dewey and IVY - I have both and have Deweys in coated and uncoated. Can't really tell a difference between any of them. Also have about 7 Lucas rod guides and either rod works well. Don't know what caliber you are looking for, but Dewey at least has two different rods for .22, one for rim fire and one for CF (.222 vs. .223/.224)

Bob

Last edited:
Pro Shot Cleaning Rods

I prefer the Pro Shot polished stainless steel cleaning rods over the one Ivy rod I own. They are a little thicker in diameter and not as flimsy when starting a snug patch into the chamber area with the 42" rods. I own five Pro Shot rods and (3 - 42"/ 1 - 36" / 1 - 12") keep one in each of my RFBR rifle cases. They are reasonably priced, American made and the handles are small enough to glide past the stock without bumping it. The Killough (KSS) bore guides work well with the large inserts ... however, I make my own.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1255665557

Last edited:
My choice has become a 5mm-39" Carbon Fiber Rod by Breakthrough Clean Technologies. www.breakthroughclean.com
I also use their 5mm-12" pistol rod to clean the chamber. Both are useable for .22 thru .50 Cal weapons and use 8-32 threaded attachments. Reasonably priced also.

I prefer the Pro Shot polished stainless steel cleaning rods over the one Ivy rod I own. They are a little thicker in diameter and not as flimsy when starting a snug patch into the chamber area with the 42" rods. I own five Pro Shot rods and (3 - 42"/ 1 - 36" / 1 - 12") keep one in each of my RFBR rifle cases. They are reasonably priced, American made and the handles are small enough to glide past the stock without bumping it. The Killough (KSS) bore guides work well with the large inserts ... however, I make my own.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1255665557
Agree and we have never had a problem getting one.
Todd

Those posting here have apparently never had the enjoyment of using one of the late Bill Myers rods. There were none better, and I dare say still are none better. If you find one for sale buy it at any price. Then when you are old and grey you can sell it and at least get your money back.

Bill Calfee even did a doodle of the Myers rod for Bills funeral. High praise? bob

Last edited:
cleaning rods

Anyone tried or using a J Stiller $$$ rod? What material ss or spring steel rod?

Last edited:
If you buy a Dewey coated 22 cal rod, plan on it being very tight in the bore of match barrels. In fact, the Dewey website recommends using the 20 cal rod for match guns like Anschutz, CZ etc. I measured my coated rod and it was .214 which is about .005 too much. I also have a Dewey uncoated SST rod that measures 0.205, and that works fine. I don't understand why Dewey persists in making their coated rods too thick. I bought a Bore Tech rod that measures 0.196. My Deweys are now collecting dust on the wall.

Anyone tried or using a J Stiller $$$ rod? What material ss or spring steel rod?

All of the Holeshot Cleaning rods are 17/4PH stainless steel. We start with 0.187 rod, centerless grind it to get a smooth surface finish and them heat treat them to Rc 42 and Melonite treat them after that. That leaves the surface about Rc60 and it will never gall, stick, etc to the bore. The handles are 6061 aluminum hard anodized with chrome steel ball bearings inside. The end is slightly tapered such that it cannot ever scrape the bore. If there was any reasonable way of making them better, I would. KSS sells them with the best shipping prices and should have them in stock, they just picked up about 50 of them. Get the Rod Locker to protect it also. The whole setup is not the cheapest thing out there, but will last forever and has the quality to match.

stiller

Last edited:
There are two or use to be anyway

If you buy a Dewey coated 22 cal rod, plan on it being very tight in the bore of match barrels. In fact, the Dewey website recommends using the 20 cal rod for match guns like Anschutz, CZ etc. I measured my coated rod and it was .214 which is about .005 too much. I also have a Dewey uncoated SST rod that measures 0.205, and that works fine. I don't understand why Dewey persists in making their coated rods too thick. I bought a Bore Tech rod that measures 0.196. My Deweys are now collecting dust on the wall.

.22 Cal. Dewey rods, one for CF and one for RF. There use to be a sticker on them saying not for Rimfire on the bigger ones but that could have changed over the years, my Dewey 22 rf rods are a dozen years old. My 30 Cal Deweys are prolly 20 years old, mebby a bit older.

Pete

Back