Cleaning primer pockets

paulie

I’m currently using a Lee pocket primer cleaning tool, as well as an RCBS primer pocket brush, and am not really satisfied with the results of either tool.
Both leave quite a bit af carbon behind.

Are there any other pocket cleaners out there that really do the job ?
thanks paul

I use the K&M primer pocket uniformer tool, when the primer pocket has been uniformed it takes less than one turn to clean it shiny, and I use an electric screwdriver for the job.. quick and easy.. 5-10 minutes for 150pcs.

http://www.kmshooting.com/catalog/p...arge-rifle-primer-pocket-correction-tool.html

med_104923224.jpg

Sinclair carbide

I’m currently using a Lee pocket primer cleaning tool, as well as an RCBS primer pocket brush, and am not really satisfied with the results of either tool.

thanks paul

is my choice. I have large and small in handles and use them EVERY time I re-size to clean the pocket. I also am not looking to cut metal, after the first uniforming, just get 99% of the firing carbon. Never have found power to be necessary.

Power isn't necessary David until you get carpal tunnel bad enough that you can't hardly feel the case in your hand after 20 or so. I do agree about getting a good carbide uniformer and using it every time you size the case.

Joe Hynes

Power isn't necessary David until you get carpal tunnel bad enough that you can't hardly feel the case in your hand after 20 or so. I do agree about getting a good carbide uniformer and using it every time you size the case.

Joe Hynes

Joe,

If you've not had surgery to take care of that, give it some thought.
Had mine done cause three fingers were numb. ok now.

Joe M

ultrasonic cleaner

Another approach is to decap the brass and then clean it in an ultrasonic cleaner, the primer pocket comes out nice and clean.

I'm really not sure I understand...
Are you saying that now I have to get a DOG to take my weekly shower with ?
And if I do, does size matter ?

When does this all end ?

Last edited:
Francis,

I found that having two dogs does work better, I have a Pekinese for the pocket they have more hair and snort which gets all the fine dust out and then a Great Dane for the necks so I get both ends clean at the same time.

Tom

If I still had one of my copies of The Accurate Rifle By Warren Page (the down side of lending books to new shooters without writing it down) I could give you the page on which I believe he said that just for kicks, he once went a whole season without cleaning a case neck or primer pocket...and did very well.

On the inside of neck thing, I brought this up in conversation with a shooter that has been in the sport for years, make that decades, and is near the top of the hall of fame, and he told me that he never cleans them, because he has proven to himself that he gets a more consistent bullet seating force leaving them as fired. I am guessing that this would absolutely be impossible for the stainless pins and tumbler crowd, but at 1-300 yards, I am sure that none of them shoot as well as he does. So, there you have it. As a tactic to disadvantage your competition, do a lot of talking about the importance of spotless brass ;-)

Getting back to the primer pocket thing, has anyone actually proven to himself that uniform pockets and cleaning them does anything for accuracy? I clean them, and in the past used a carbide tool that Russ Haydon sells that is specifically designed to remove an overly large radius in the bottom corner of the pocket, that would keep a primer from seating properly. I have not run into a box that needed that for some time, but it has been a while since I bought a new box. It may be that Lapua simply made the problem go away.

At one of his seminars, Jack Neary told of some blind testing that convinced him that cleaning the pockets did make a difference. Don't know the details but I was struggling and had to change something, so I started cleaning mine. I went several years without ever cleaning a pocket, now I try to do it every time... so far I make too many other mistakes to figure out whether it is helping or not.

Rod

boyd, I thought I would stop cleaning my primer pockets on my 30X47 hbr rifle one year. These are large primer pockets. About the
fifth match of the year at Casper, wy I cannot close my bolt. I only necksized my brass. I get out the full length die and resize the
cases. they are still tight in the chamber. I check out the primers and they are sticking out and the case is headspacing on the primers.
I was not cleaning my ppc cases and did not have any trouble with the small primer pockets. Since then I always clean the primer
pockets. I cut washers about .010 " thick out of those large primer pockets with my whitetail tool. Rogina

thanks paul

I've got 2 I'll part with, cause I have 4 of them. I new by Skip Otto, ( adjustable), another by Sinclare with a handle, Adjustable as well.

the K&M tool is adjustable, but it is set to the correct setting and should NOT be adjusted except by those with the correct tools and knowhow...
even though it's designed for primer pocket uniforming it works great for primer pocket cleaning, after the pocket has been uniformed with the tool there is no more brass to cut so the tool only cuts carbon.

and when a 1/4 turn is enough to clean the pocket it saves a lot of sore wrists and time..

It seems to me that

a spin of the brush and all is done to perfection as long as the flash hole is clear and the area of the primer pocket where the primer cup comes down (up?) is clear so that you can get a fairly uniform crush would be all that any obssessor could require.........it takes almost no time to do so why not? I have wornout/arthritic hands and I just change from spining the brush to spinning the case when the pain gets trough the Tylenol and Ibuprofen...if it gets to be a tramadol day, I'm not doing cases anyway............the hands are not even a concern by then

Last edited by a moderator:
Back