Chamber clearence?

280rem

What would be a "normal" clearence for a case measured just in front of the extractor groove in relation to the chamber? Thanks, John.

pick a cartridge, look at the saami spec for both the chamber and the cartridge, look at the max dia for the cartridge and the min for the chamber.

don't know it there is a generic answer to your question.

this is at 0.200 from boltface,case face

308 win is 0.4703 max cart, 0.4714 min chamber= 0.0011 clearance

mike in co

What would be a "normal" clearence for a case measured just in front of the extractor groove in relation to the chamber? Thanks, John.

John

It depends. If you intend to shoot different brands of brass then you have to have enough clearance for the biggest. That's what a factory chamber is.

And new brass can vary quite a bit. Take the 280 Rem, for example. The difference between Norma and Remington brass can be as much as .0035".

For custom Benchrest type chambers it's best to have your reamer ground for the particular brand and lot of brass that you will be using. That's why it's always a good idea to buy your brass first and fit the chamber to it.

Me? I prefer a tight butt for all my chambers. To me that means no more than .001" over the size of the new brass. Some may argue that it won't work that tight but I have never had any problems and my primer pockets generally stay tight for as long as I care to use the brass.

JMHO

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
Back