cartridge choice

Joe S

I'm considering putting together a rifle for local club 100-200 yd varmint matches, target shoots (score and groups) and generally just a new toy. I am not going for a all out bench gun, but a nice varmint type rifle. Match bbl, M700 action - since I already have one, good trigger/stock. I'm retired, on a small pension so price plays a role in the end product and how quickly I get it done.

I presently have been shooting a Douglas BBl'ed M70 HV 223 or, a Cooper M21 in 6x45 in local club score and group matches, but am hoping for something that will group a tenth or maybe two better then these. I am thinking since this is a new rifle, maybe a new cartridge too might help. I don't want to limit myself to a chamber/cartridge that I need to turn necks, make brass, ect to load, but do want it to be as capable as possible for my use. I will go with that type of cartridge if that is what it takes to make a difference.

Questions.

Would it be worth the added cost and effort given this type of platform to go with a cartridge like the 22 / 6mm PPC, or will the old stand by, my 223 or 6x45 do just as well?

What bullet weights and twists would you prefer to shoot if I do pick one of these cartridges?

Are there any other cartridges I might look at as well?

I realize the shooter makes a difference in how a rifle performs and, I will admit I am not a national top gun by any means. If it is going to take a full blown bench rifle, neck turning and fire forming to see the advantage in switching to a new cartridge I'll stay with what I'm set up to load and be happy. If not, and the rifle I am looking at should show a improvement with another cartridge then I am shooting, I want it ;)

OK, you're asking for opinions. So, why not?
If you choose to stay with the same bolt face, it's not likely you will see much improvement with any available choices at 100/200 yards or at least that's been my experience. If you choose to use a PPC bolt face there are several choices that will/should give you an advantage. I have been successful with a 6 PPC, 6 Beggs and 220 Beggs. All three can be had with no turn necks, so no problem there. My suggestion would be a 1-14" twist with any of the three. A 68gr match bullet with both of the 6's and a 52/53gr match with the 220. Not a thing wrong with a 6 BR, but any of the three I've listed above have an inherent advantage over it. If you are going to make a change, why not start with an advantage?

YMMV,
Rick

Keep in mind, with the advent of the Norma 6PPC brass, it has become much easier to shoot a 6PPC.

The only extra effort will be getting one of your Rifle's bolt face opened up to fit it, along with a proper extractor.

It's a small price to pay for the kind of accuracy that the 6PPC offers.

Last edited:
factory +

Joe -

Howdy !

I DK what the rules or classes might be, for your area shoots ?

It sounds to me like your wondering whether you might benefit from shooting a " factory modified " type rifle.
Factory Modified rules typically allow for some enhanced features / items on the rifle, with the intent being increased accuracy/consistency; etc.
For some, " factory modified " is in-essence an intermediate step; between stock factory rifles and full-blown custom benchrest guns.

As regards chamberings..... you mentioned not wanting to be constrained to use of brass that requires neck turning.
I suggest an alternate view, that being.... don't limit yourself to considering just no-turn neck set ups ( IMHO ).

Those 6PPCs and 6BR are hard to top ! Still, you might want to go old-school; with something like a .222Rem; or .222Rem Magnum ?
Lot's to think about.

With regards,
.357Mg

After being out of the shortrange benchrest game for 38 years I recently got back in. During my time off I played with a bunch of different cartridges, 223, 204, 6X47L, 6.5-284, and some others. Most of the stuff I played with was good, some of it was as good or better than our old benchguns and cartridges.

Since coming back my experience has been with the 6ppc only. Recently I've been testing powders with a practice barrel that came on the used rifle I bought back in July. It's a pretty good barrel in a LV rifle, weighs 5 lbs. Having said that it isn't as good as a Bartlein I recently had chambered for the rifle. With the practice barrel and H322, N201, N200, lt32, lt30, and lt31 (30 and 32 mixed) shooting under either head or tailwind-flippy conditions this rifle has aggd at .285 over appx. 60 groups. In conditions I would be satisfied to shoot a .250 agg in a match.

In a word, the 6ppc is AMAZING!!

I'm gonna push you a bit....sell everything you have now and build an all out light varmint Benchrest rifle in 6PPC. It seems that is what you're thinking but are trying to be sensible at the same time. Pretty sure we've all been in the same spot and those that went all in never looked back.

Yes, you can build a 6PPC that won't shoot as well as what your shooting now....just sayin' !

Back