Can someone run some Quick Load numbers?

CYanchycki

Club Coordinator
6PPC
95gr Berger VLD
135 or 140 powder

Can I get say 2750-2800 fps safely?

Or a better powder to try?

What other numbers needed to run the scenario?

Would be for out to 500 M

Calvin

the problem with ql and 6ppc is they uses 57000 psi and no one in the br world does.
8208 is good for 2800 or so
neither 140 nor 135 were impressive 2700

Using my .060 leade reamer

The base of the bullet ends up slightly below the halfway point of the shoulder.

Attachments

• 20200201_163829.jpg
    20200201_163829.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 200
I messed around with the Bart’s 80 grn in the PPC, but I throated it to .125. That put the 80 in about the same place in the neck as a typical 68 grn. This gave the affective case capacity a tad more volume..3200 FPS was no problem with 4895. It shot great.

For best result, you might need to throat it it out to around .150 or so.

With your set up now, 135 will probably work, as well as accurate arms 2495, Or perhaps N530.

I think 140 will be too slow to get to 2750.

Last edited:
Thanks guys

Jackie, I agree with you on the throating. Throating to 150 is kind of what I figured out would be about right.

So my next question is thoughts on just throating it out or just ordering a reamer throated for that length?

This would just be shot at the range on the farm or small club matches against some 6BR's. Regardless I would have to order a throater or a complete reamer. I would have it made off of my existing print.

Calvin

The throaters I have are all one and a half degrees lead. You can rent on from the reamer manufactures.

The best thing to do is seat a Bullet exactly where you want it in the neck, then throat the lead until you get light marks at headspace length.

That’s how I do it.

I THINK just a throater.
worked fine on one of my projects.
adds a tool to the tool box.

if you give me a pressure limit, I could run more numbers.
pm me id you do not want a public number.

Some time ago

i messed around with the bart’s 80 grn in the ppc, but i throated it to .125. That put the 80 in about the same place in the neck as a typical 68 grn. This gave the affective case capacity a tad more volume..3200 fps was no problem with 4895. It shot great.

For best result, you might need to throat it it out to around .150 or so.

With your set up now, 135 will probably work, as well as accurate arms 2495, or perhaps n530.

I think 140 will be too slow to get to 2750.

i had dave kipp grind a reamer ppc body 40 tho bigger when i coultnt get good 6 br brass for my 25 bms excellent

Last edited:
I THINK just a throater.
worked fine on one of my projects.
adds a tool to the tool box.

if you give me a pressure limit, I could run more numbers.
pm me id you do not want a public number.

Years ago, when we were shooting out at the American Shooting Center, a shooter had one of those advanced chronographs that included the pressure testing system. It worked by attaching expansion sensors and strain gages to the barrels outside diameter in the chamber area. It measured the expansion of the metal.

I never was sure how accurate it was, but he did set up several 6PPC rifles to test. All were shooting past 3400 FPS on his chronograph out of 22 inch or less long barrels in LV taper.

The numbers were rather shocking. Using a 68 grn Euber Bullet and 133, all three rifles tested were shooting over 75,000 psi.

That has always stuck with me. It either says something about the quality of our equipment or the insanity of our actions.

Last edited:
At some point in time

Should just build the 6BR as I have the reamer. Just want to try the PPC out against you guys....

I may have to build a 30 to compete against you and Dwayne in the score matches......??

Years ago, when we were shooting out at the American Shooting Center, a shooter had one of those advanced chronographs that included the pressure testing system. It worked by attaching expansion sensors and strain gages to the barrels outside diameter in the chamber area. It measured the expansion of the metal.

I never was sure how accurate it was, but he did set up several 6PPC rifles to test. All were shooting past 3400 FPS on his chronograph out of 22 inch or less long barrels in LV taper.

The numbers were rather shocking. Using a 68 grn Euber Bullet and 133, all three rifles tested were shooting over 75,000 psi.

That has always stuck with me. It either says something about the quality of our equipment or the insanity of our actions.

LOL

I ended up with 2 of them.... Dave Tooley sold me his and I got the one we used to use back from my friend...... when I say stuff like "in the excess of 75,000psi it's not because "I don't know" or because I'm guessing, it's because my growed-up side is over there saying "dude, maybe you should shut up about this before somebody gets hurt"

Strain gages on steel is plenty accurate...... as accurate as a torque wrench, which is the same exact thing.... all this is exactly what I'm making videos about, that OUR IGNORANCE does not take away from facts. The FACTS are that steel strain is very repeatable and strain gages measure it very well.

BTST, I'm butt-ignorant about fixing big boats...... so what..... "I know this guy".... that does it for a living.

Third generation.

That alone "proves he's right" :)

Back