Burris Signature Z Rings

J

Jeffreytooker

The ones with the plastic inserts. I now have several sets of the Z rings. They have a 1" (?? 4X40??) screw which secures the ring to the base. At one time when I lived in Seattle I found a SS Allen Head machine screw to replace the slotted screw and it is much easier for me to use. I am now far from a fastener supply house which has hardware that small. Can anyone tell me the screw size and thread count of this screw so I can send for some?

Thx.

Jeffrey Tooker

Jeffrey,

I also dislike the slotted head screw and happen to have a new set of silver Signature Z rings on my work bench for a project. The length is 1 inch, measured from under the head to the end of the screw and the threads are #6 x 40.

DougF

Doug

Jeffrey,

I also dislike the slotted head screw and happen to have a new set of silver Signature Z rings on my work bench for a project. The length is 1 inch, measured from under the head to the end of the screw and the threads are #6 x 40.

DougF

Thanks for the info. I will run down some of the screws when I go to town. I find the socket head cap screws make the mounts much more managable.

Jeffrey Tooker

Alternate Solution

Thanks for the info. I will run down some of the screws when I go to town. I find the socket head cap screws make the mounts much more managable.

Jeffrey Tooker

Doug:

Called the fastener shop in town. No 6 x 40 long hardware. He has 6 X 32 X 1 1/4. I will tap the threads to 6 X 32 and use an acorn nut. The nut is because tapping 6 x 40 to 6 x 32 will leave the threads weak. The whole thing will be better than what Burris made.

Jeffrey Tooker

Why not tap it out to 8x32 for strength (assuming there's enough space) and then the stainless steel 1" cap head screws are available at Enco for a little over $8 a hundred.

# 8's Onhand

Why not tap it out to 8x32 for strength (assuming there's enough space) and then the stainless steel 1" cap head screws are available at Enco for a little over $8 a hundred.

I will look into it.
Thx.
Jeffrey Tooker

It's been a while since I mounted those rings, and I fully agree the cross screws are the bad feature of otherwise good rings.

IIRC, the cross screw diameter is larger than the threaded portion, and that diameter should fit the grooves of the bases fairly well. If going to a #8 screw will fit the base grooves, I would by all means drill out and tap for the #8.

Gentlemen

It's been a while since I mounted those rings, and I fully agree the cross screws are the bad feature of otherwise good rings.

IIRC, the cross screw diameter is larger than the threaded portion, and that diameter should fit the grooves of the bases fairly well. If going to a #8 screw will fit the base grooves, I would by all means drill out and tap for the #8.

I ended up with 6 X 32 X 1 1/4 with acorn nuts. The #8's probably would have been stronger but the rings were already on the rifles so I tapped the holes and bolted up. It is much better than the screws. If this does not hold up I can still go to the #8's.

Jeffrey Tooker

I felt that the 6-40 setup was a tad puny, so I drilled out the offside hole to 4 mm & ran a 4 mm tap thru the thread. The pitch is near enough the same & the new screw is that much stronger.

Back