Bullet lube

Bro.D

Been making my own bullets for about 10 years and have always used the same bullet lube. It's not that I am unhappy with my lube I just like trying different things at times. If you don't mind post your formula for your favorite bullet swaging lube. Mine is 3 parts anhydrous lanolin and one part pure neats foot oil. Thanks, Bro.D

bullet lube

I use Corbins lube it works for me and lasts along time.
but if it's not broke why fix it? Your using excellent lube.

When I bought my dies from George Ulrich, he recommended pure anhydrous lanolin. It has worked great over 8,000 bullets.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Hi Guys.
George recommended Lanolin and Vaseline. 50/50. Heat up in microwave 10-15 min. Stir together real good. Put in freezer till solid. Fill syringe.
This was 2010.....
My house drys out in the winter. I had bullets stick to the point up ejector/die. And they would go back up into the die. I tried to grab the second one that did this.
Well, besides a 4" scar on my scrotum healing. A 6mm punch through my thumb nail is about the same pain level.
Well, after thinking about. 2-3 days later. I remembered, that I had ordered caster oil with the Lanolin. Lowell Hottenstein used castor oil to lube his lead cores. So I made a batch of Lanolin and caster oil. That was the trick. No more bullets sticking in the die or stuck to the ejector pin.
It works for Core seating also.
Gary Conaway has a formula for his lube. Don't remember what it was. But, the last time I saw Lowell, he had some that Gary had made for him. In syringes ready to go.....We were at Cabela's for the ER Winter meeting....

Lowell and Gary also used this for bolt lug lube.

Last edited:
I copied Randy Robinett's formula of anhydrous lanolin and pure neats foot oil. In an attempt to reduce the amount of lube needed with the Blackmon steel dies, a certain % mixture of Mobil One 30 wt./STP really worked well. There was a point with the steel dies when the lube could be too slick, for lack of a better term, though. A certain amount of 'drag' was needed. In the end, I went back to the tried and true.

Clueless about carbide dies, though.....;) -Al

Hi Guys.
George recommended Lanolin and Vaseline. 50/50. Heat up in microwave 10-15 min. Stir together real good. Put in freezer till solid. Fill syringe.
This was 2010.....
My house drys out in the winter. I had bullets stick to the point up ejector/die. And they would go back up into the die. I tried to grab the second one that did this.
Tim, I got away from all the "magic concoctions" a few years ago. its to easy with straight lanolin, and as Al said it can become to slick....I'll leave the oiled cores as a no comment .....

I copied Randy Robinett's formula of anhydrous lanolin and pure neats foot oil. In an attempt to reduce the amount of lube needed with the Blackmon steel dies, a certain % mixture of Mobil One 30 wt./STP really worked well. There was a point with the steel dies when the lube could be too slick, for lack of a better term, though. A certain amount of 'drag' was needed. In the end, I went back to the tried and true.

Clueless about carbide dies, though.....;) -Al

Actually, that formula came from Rich Griffin - been using it for 25 years or longer. The reasoning behind the neats foot oil is simply to reduce the viscosity while maintaining lubricity: the two blend very well. I have tried several "additives", but always go back to Rich's formula. RG

Actually, that formula came from Rich Griffin - been using it for 25 years or longer. The reasoning behind the neats foot oil is simply to reduce the viscosity while maintaining lubricity: the two blend very well. I have tried several "additives", but always go back to Rich's formula. RG

Randy, only if your using the old Lanolin from mallinkrodt, it was like a stick of paraffin. the stuff I've been getting doesn't need to be cut. the thinner you make it the easier its pushed out so the more you need to put in....

Hi Guys.
This was 2010.....
Tim, I got away from all the "magic concoctions" a few years ago. its to easy with straight lanolin, and as Al said it can become to slick....I'll leave the oiled cores as a no comment .....

Yea. That was 7 yrs ago. Who knows what is available now....And what's in it....times change, weather changes, customer needs change,...
Look at McDonald's Fries....used to be the best in the world....Still better than the competition...But, way better with Beef fat shortening....

Randy, only if your using the old Lanolin from mallinkrodt, it was like a stick of paraffin. the stuff I've been getting doesn't need to be cut. the thinner you make it the easier its pushed out so the more you need to put in....

That describes the stuff I have: bought a LOT of it, way back when, as it was difficult to obtain locally - keep it frozen until blending, as a little lasts a long time! :cool: I reduce it to about the consistency of room temperature butter - gravity does not cause slumping - it remains sticky and strings quite well, holding up to the pressure. RG

That describes the stuff I have: bought a LOT of it, way back when, as it was difficult to obtain locally - keep it frozen until blending, as a little lasts a long time! :cool: I reduce it to about the consistency of room temperature butter - gravity does not cause slumping - it remains sticky and strings quite well, holding up to the pressure. RG

ooohhh slumping.....never heard of that......being a fat white guy........................

Back