Boron Nitride barrel prepping

M

mwg

so now I'm shooting hexagonal Boron Nitride (hBN) coated bullets. After a few rounds the barrel is coated inside with hBN and everything is fine until you clean your barrel. Then you have to prepp all over again..........
Now I have been thinking.........maybe I could speed up the coating of the barrel a little if I just added a little hBN to the powder for just 2 or 3 shots.
A little like the black powder shooters do with their grease cookies.
I wouldn't risk it with moly or dansac since I fear that sulfur acid could be formed inside the barrel. But hBN is different
Now comes the question: does anyone (with proper benchrest equipment) feel like putting this to the test, I can't do it as I only shoot 3p (piss poor paterns) with iron sights.

Or do you feel this is nonsense, and I shouldn't bother?

good shooting
MWG

"this is nonsense, and I shouldn't bother"

Just shoot naked bullets and clean properly...you will not notice any accuracy difference...;)

myself I'm all about laying on hands to make the metal receptive, warmed ambergris stroked muzzle to breech followed by a coating of Bag Balm.......... inside it's oil distilled from chicken feet, apply with felted pads formed from the virgin wool of unborn lambs ........ that and the little dance I do to invoke the spirits, widdershins.

Should work with hBn equally well.

:)

al

Alinwa comes around any of our Montana virgin sheep he's gonna git hisself in BIG trubble.... :D

I shoot F/TR with boron coated projectiles with a rifle that shoots down to ½ MOA out to 1000 yards - certainly MOA all the time. With my regular clean (brush Subaru upper engine cleaner; wait; patch out), my first clean barrel shot is always in the group.

Every 300 rounds or thereabouts, I follow that procedure with JB Bore Brite paste, mainly as a means of smoothing throat erosion, but also to remove any jacket material buildup - it does happen occasionally. After this heavier cleanup, the first shot will be marginally astray, but consistantly 6 o'clock.

I've considered priming the barrel with something on a mop or patch (I did use an air drying compound when I used moly), but frankly, I haven't worked out a way to keep my chamber free of any such prep & I don't want set my rifle up up with a friction-free chamber, so I've given that a miss.

I fear that adding boron to your loads would have little likelihood of achieving what you want & every possibility of modifying the burning rate of your powder, thus almost guaranteeing stray shots from a clean barrel.

Don't worry about al & the rest of them. I hear that there are parts of the States a tad short of available women.

myself I'm all about laying on hands to make the metal receptive, warmed ambergris stroked muzzle to breech followed by a coating of Bag Balm.......... inside it's oil distilled from chicken feet, apply with felted pads formed from the virgin wool of unborn lambs ........ that and the little dance I do to invoke the spirits, widdershins.

Should work with hBn equally well.

:)

al

And all this time I've been paying $3.99 per minute! :eek:

Don't know about the rest of you, but I want to see a video of alinwa's secret little dance. He may be onto something here. :D
Pete

I'd like to know

Where he's getting hexagonal bullets. Do they require a hexagonal neck expander?

Back