Bore Guide for Winchester 1885 Low Wall .243

vtmarmot

P Magoon, Livin' Free NH
I purchased this rifle "just because". I wanted something I could call my "stalking rifle". I quickly found that the bore guides I had on hand didn't work very well. I made one out of a used case and 11/32" brass tubing. Just drill out the primer hole, insert the tubing as far as it will go, and put a little epoxy or super-glue around the joint and you're in business.

I have made these before to use for lapping bores in bolt action rifles. They work great.

1885-3.JPG1885-guide-1.JPG1885-guide-2.JPG

Thanks. I think I'm going to like this rifle. I haven't shot it yet, but I have 100 new Federal Premium brass and a bunch of different bullets and powders to try. The leade, bore and crown look really good. The forend was hard up against the barrel on the right side for about an inch ahead of the action. I free floated it. The trigger was at about 4.5 pounds. I adjusted it down to 3.5 pounds, which is the low limit. I consider it very good for a hunting trigger. It's not as pretty as the Brownings, but I bought it to shoot, not to show.

I have a couple of bores to lap using guides of this same type that I made. One is an older S&W 1500 rifle in 7mm Remington Magnum with a badly fire-cracked bore. It copper fouls very badly. I'm going to try and smooth it up some. The other is a new, unfired Remington 700 in .264 Winchester Magnum. The leade looks a bit rough from machining marks and needs some work. If the lapping doesn't help, I have some Tubb Final Finish bullets. I am also going to do a crown job on it. There is a very small gouge on one side that needs to come out. I think I'll bed the recoil lug too.

Back