Bolt design Bix and Andy Centerfire

tonykharper

I found this pic over on another channel and I thought it was interesting.

It is the bolt from a Bix and Andy centerfire action. Although for centerfire some of it's features could be added to rimfire bolts.

Would it not be a good thing for our Rimfire action makers to update the 40-50 year old designs we have today?

elysee Bolt centerfire action.jpg

TKH

Interesting

It is the bolt from a Bix and Andy centerfire action. Although for centerfire some of it's features could be added to rimfire bolts.

Would it not be a good thing for our Rimfire action makers to update the 40-50 year old designs we have today?

View attachment 24378

TKH

The roller-bearing sleeve looks interesting. Everything else I see looks cosmetic, but I may be overlooking something. I can't quite figure out the cocking piece - is that an o-ring?

GsT

Interesting one, indeed.
One that impresses me the most is the Fortner 1827 developed with Anschutz.
Do you know why none have surfed on benchrest?

Interesting one, indeed.

If I am not mistaken, some time back one or two guys did something with them and determined the lockup precision was found lacking for BR work.

View attachment 24378

TKH

Two things kind of jumped out at me. That intermediate “sleeve” with all the nipples seems there to substantially reduce sliding friction surfaces of fire control.....pretty slick.

The other thing is that particular roller cocking system, used to dramatically reduce bolt lift. BAT machine uses it on all their current actions and it works great, I have SV and DS actions for PPC with roller cockers.
I must say, however, the first multiple roller system I have seen. About the only thing I see and don’t really like for precision work are the appearance of 6 lugs.
Assuming this represents current state of the art tech, I notice we still have an angled striker engagement surface .

Last edited:
Interesting one, indeed.

When I first saw the Fortner 1827 action I thought it would be the ticket.

After studying it for awhile, and running into another shooter that had spent a lot of time trying to get one to work for RFBR I gave up in the idea.

That is not to say that it could not be made into a killer rimfire action. Perhaps it could, but I'm not sure the time/money isn't better spent with the old designs.

I can't help thinking that some of the features on the Bix and Andy centerfire bolt would be very beneficial for a custom rimfire action.

Someone just has to step up and do it.

TKH

Back